Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #1

Jeep Grand Cherokee

I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with a class 3 aftermarket hitch. The sticker on the hitch says TW 500lb and GTW 5000lb. I have never towed a travel trailer before only a small utility trailer. I am in the market for a TT or hybrid not a pop up. I am looking for any suggestions without getting to close to my max towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tylerflomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #2

Here is a link to your jeeps towing limits
Jeep Capabilities - Towing Capacity Chart

Hope this thelps
Sventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:15 PM   #3

Sticker on the hitch is hitch capacity only. Look in your owners manual for further info. Also check the capacity stickers likely in the drivers door jamb. Things like axle rating, payload, and gvwr should be listed there. We have an '03 Grand cherokee. The ratings on it ranged from a measly 2000 lbs without the tow package up to 6500 lbs with the highest tow package so there was a large range in capacity. I am not familiar with the newer models though. I know our WJ with the 4.0 struggled with a 10' popup. We have moved up to a travel trailer now so a truck is used for towing. The Jeep gets school and grocery store duty only now. Do your research to ensure the capability of your Jeep, the short wheelbase won't be your friend if you are close to max weights.

jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #4

So much great stuff out there under 5k

We chose the Starcraft AR-One series also made by Jayco.

http://starcraftrv.com/products/travel-trailers/ar-one

The Jayco SLX series is neat

In the running for us was also the Palomino Palomini, nice quality in small package.

R-pods might be a nice choice too.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:45 PM   #5

Several months ago some friends of mine purchased a real fancy 2015 Cherokee. With no towing they've already received a new factory tranny; it took about 5 trips to the dealer before Jeep agreed to it. I'd suggest being real careful using this as a tow vehicle - Jeep will claim you broke it towing over the load, and any repairs will be on your dime.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Several months ago some friends of mine purchased a real fancy 2015 Cherokee. With no towing they've already received a new factory tranny; it took about 5 trips to the dealer before Jeep agreed to it. I'd suggest being real careful using this as a tow vehicle - Jeep will claim you broke it towing over the load, and any repairs will be on your dime.
There are more issues than a transmission if you go over your load rating and all vehicles have issues.

Stay within the specs by doing your due diligence and have good time camping!
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:38 PM   #7

There are A LOT of Jeep owners using this car as TW. A lot of them are towing Airstreams, including 31 ft long trailers.

The story below does not have any relation to towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sventura View Post
Here is a link to your jeeps towing limits
Jeep Capabilities - Towing Capacity Chart

Hope this thelps
I would check your owner's manual as well. It's not clear to me if these are with or without the towing package mentioned, but I suspect it is with package. I know my Chevy max towing capacity is MUCH higher (about 2K lbs IIRC) with the TP than without. Putting an aftermarket hitch is not the same as the factory towing prep which generally includes many other upgrades (alternator, suspension upgrades, transmission cooler, transmission programming, etc.).
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
There are A LOT of Jeep owners using this car as TW. A lot of them are towing Airstreams, including 31 ft long trailers.

The story below does not have any relation to towing.
Just because someone tows with a particular vehicle, does not mean they are towing safely. I have seen old station wagons towing very large TT, it was as unsafe as anything I have ever seen, but, they towed it According to the jeeps I have owned, none are really meant to towing anything but the smallest TT. Just dragging it down the road, doesn't make it a suitable tow vehicle.

And with an after market hitch, that's even worse. Means no tow package originally ( would of had a hitch), probably not the right suspension, etc.

A disaster waiting to happen, hopefully only to the tow vehicle and not the occupants. Good Luck...but I would check with a good dealer as to the suitability of towing with this vehicle.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:38 PM   #10

We towed a 4400lbs (gross) TT with a GC (4L straight 6) for about 6 years. It towed fine flat, but was a dog going up hill. We couldn't even run the AC. I had a stage 3 K&N filter on it, a chip, and had a Magnaflow exhaust on it. I did every thing I could to make it work. I loved that Jeep. It was squirrely when in the wind which was scary, the wheel base being the main problem. But we got about 140K miles on it before we bought our full sized truck. If that's what you got then you'll learn to adapt, I wouldn't go back to a SUV for my tow vehicle. My F150 sits 6 and has a bed, plus it tows twice as much with 1/2 the effort.

That being said your towing is probably around 5,000 lbs (look it up) so I would stay in the 3K gvw range. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a large pop-up with a slide instead of going with a TT with my GC.

A hybrid will have the same problems with wind resistance as a TT. You'll just get blown around with either one. I'm speaking from experience.
This one is nice: has a bathroom. 2016 Jay Series 1209SC | Jayco, Inc.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:47 PM   #11

OP, the current Jeep Grand Cherokee is regarded as EXCELLENT tow vehicle. Just make a proper research. Airforums would be a great place to start. You are not planning to go big as I understand, but just be aware of TW limitations. Payload and axle limits are the most important. Jeep is relatively short wheelbase, but if you use proper hitch (Propride or Hensley) you will eliminate sway.

GL
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenoble99 View Post
Sticker on the hitch is hitch capacity only. Look in your owners manual for further info. Also check the capacity stickers likely in the drivers door jamb. Things like axle rating, payload, and gvwr should be listed there. We have an '03 Grand cherokee. The ratings on it ranged from a measly 2000 lbs without the tow package up to 6500 lbs with the highest tow package so there was a large range in capacity. I am not familiar with the newer models though. I know our WJ with the 4.0 struggled with a 10' popup. We have moved up to a travel trailer now so a truck is used for towing. The Jeep gets school and grocery store duty only now. Do your research to ensure the capability of your Jeep, the short wheelbase won't be your friend if you are close to max weights.

GVWR on door says 6500lb

tylerflomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #13

Wrascal, there is a big difference between a 2015 Jeep Cherokee & a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Two completely different vehicles, capacities, engines, transmissions.

I have a 2015 grand Cherokee W 3.0L Diesel rated to tow 7000#. I'm towing a 23RLSW approx. 5700# loaded with no issues.

Match your TV to your trailer or vice versa.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote