Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
<snip>
I don't think I would worry much with your setup... It looks very safe... <snip>
Roy Ken
Our experience...

we heard pretty much those same words from a tech at the dealer we picked up the tt when new a few years back. A 'local' (said he was a mechanic who deals with towing somehow) pulled us aside and suggested we use a CAT scale to verify. 'Looking good' vs 'being good' could cause us problems later; he chuckled and eluded that one person's idea of "looking good" may not be another person's same definition. We did get the needed weights which confirmed we were near limits for our tt/tv, but, most importantly we learned that we *really* had to be careful how to load (or not load) our front storage area's as well as truck bed/truck cab, etc (we looked good, but as it turned out we weren't LOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
John,

Great to hear that you had a good towing experience with your new X17Z!

There are frequent postings inquiring about towing the smaller HTT's & TT's with the smaller TV's, especially with published Tow Ratings in the 3,500lb to 5,000lb range....., but it's been extremely rare to find anyone that has actually confirmed their "ready-to-camp" loaded weights, especially when dealing with a limited CCC.

What would be extremely helpful to folks considering a similar TV/HTT combination such as yours are the actual results of a CAT Scale visit. If you should have the opportunity to visit a CAT scale please feel free to report back with your findings, because it would be great to have that kind of information within the JOF "Towing and Tow Vehicle" thread archive.

CAT Scale how to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Thanks in advance

Bob

John, That would be great if you could share the numbers you get if you can weigh your set-up at a CAT Scale (or other local scale) and share them here to help members considering your set-up in the future
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
John,

Great to hear that you had a good towing experience with your new X17Z!

There are frequent postings inquiring about towing the smaller HTT's & TT's with the smaller TV's, especially with published Tow Ratings in the 3,500lb to 5,000lb range....., but it's been extremely rare to find anyone that has actually confirmed their "ready-to-camp" loaded weights, especially when dealing with a limited CCC.

What would be extremely helpful to folks considering a similar TV/HTT combination such as yours are the actual results of a CAT Scale visit. If you should have the opportunity to visit a CAT scale please feel free to report back with your findings, because it would be great to have that kind of information within the JOF "Towing and Tow Vehicle" thread archive.

CAT Scale how to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Thanks in advance

Bob
Bob,

Thanks for the info. Yes there is a Scale near us, so in the spring when I take the TT our of indoor storage, I'll get some weights. I've done quite a bit of searching online to find GCVW and it's all over the board. No listing for my model year with the upgraded Powertrain & 3:73 Diff. Older models range any where from 5000 to 7900 GCVW. So your guess is a good as mine. However, I can tell you she tows very well with the WDH, Sway Bar and stops well with the Brake controller.

With that said, I will continue to research, take the TT to the scales and report back here. Learning as I go.

Thanks again for all of the advice everyone.

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #23

Thanks for the posting guys. We are looking at moving up to a 17Z and pull with our 2008 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon edition. Ours has 4.10 gears so lots of low end grunt but bloody Chrysler rates it the same as a bases level Wrangler X unlimited.

I'll make sure we get a good WDH and sway bar. Need to check if ours came with a tranny cooler already.

Cheers
Tim
Thorvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #24

I use a 2012 liberty and tow a 184bh which the jeep tows just fine with a wdh. Im within my frontal area and weight limits. I might push it with a 4 dr wrangler but wouldn't think about it with a 2 door. A wrangler is just to light. I bought a pop up to stay within our limits at first but came across the 184 in myrtle beach and loved it. It stays in our limits. Keep in mind I towed it back without a wdh cause they don't recommend it and it was a nightmare . I hated the whole ride and drive heavy haul trucking for a living. Good luck with your choice
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #25

308rts, how do you get around the really low tongue weight limit of the Jeep?

The owners manual states it's rated for 350 lbs max tonque weight and the 17z is 340 lbs dry.

Add in two propane tanks (37.7 each x 2 = 75.4 lbs), battery (70 lbs?) and your well up to 485 lbs.

Even with the Hidden Hitch Class III which shows it could handle 400 lbs tongue weight with a weight distribution setup, it still has a caveat that says to go by the owners manual first and use the lower value, which again is 350 lbs.

---

Just spent more of the night doing the math on this and so far the tongue weight is the deal breaker. I also assume the weight distribution setup will also add tonque weight right?

---

As for the trailer itself, with the 2015 model of the 17z it looks like the following:

2785 lbs dry
28.5 Gal Water tank x 7 lbs per gal = 199.5 lbs
Battery 70 lbs
Propane 37.7 * 2 = 75.4 lbs
Total wet weight no cargo = 3129.9 lbs (below the 3500 lbs max rating)

That leaves 370 lbs for cargo before maxing out.

---

Now the GCW of my jeep (4dr Rubicon) is 8104 lbs
Curb Weight = 4315 approx (I've read some weight up to 4600, need to get it weighed)
Passengers = 150 + 150 + 75 + 75 = 450 lbs (2 adults + 2 kids)
Total = 4315 + 450 + 3129.9 = 7894.9 lbs
(leaves 209 lbs for cargo)

---

So it looks like the Jeep can "just" tow it by the numbers (except for the possibly exceeded tongue/hitch weight). Makes it legal to tow assuming you don't load it up too much (or just not carry as much water).

---

Now I have another issue of my Honda eu2000i may not be able to start the AC (13000btu unit) so I may have to get another generator... *sigh* lol which adds yet more weight to the GCW.

Cheers
Tim
Thorvald is offline   Reply With Quote