Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2015, 06:46 AM   #1

JF 24FBS Elite and 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Combo?

Just wondering if anyone has pulled this combo...
Want to purchase a new 2016 Jay Flight 24 FBS with elite package (5400lbs.?) and pull it with my new 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 (3.42). Will I be okay? It's just my husband, myself, and a 10 dog. Is that trailer pushing it?
We love to travel to Colorado every few years. Trouble in the mountains?
Any advice and insight is appreciated!

DeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #2

Assuming you have the V8, your truck is probably more capable than ours with a newer engine and better transmission, and we don't have any problems towing our trailer -- but it is pretty flat around here. My truck also has the 3.73 gears, which does make a bit of difference. I lock out overdrive and turn tow/haul mode on, and take my time, and I still manage to get double-digit gas mileage. Mind you, I don't think I'd want to tow anything heavier.

North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:26 PM   #3

Thanks for your input. We do have the V8....but I am concerned about the mountains. Lucky you to have the 3.73. Anyone else have any experience with this trailer and a truck similar to mine?
Old 07-31-2015, 03:44 PM   #4

The weight you're quoting is probably the "as delivered" weight on the yellow sticker. The GVWR of the trailer is 7000#. While you probably don't carry 1600# of stuff in the trailer, it's conceivable that you'll be towing well over 6000# loaded. I don't see that as an issue with that truck, you just need to be aware of what you are really going to be towing.

You don't need 3.73 gears with that truck. It has the 6 speed transmission. That's why they are using 3.42s now. I have 3.73 because I only have a 4 speed transmission.

As North said. Take your time. It's not a race. Some people think if you can't tow up a 6% grade at 70 mph you don't have enough truck. I don't see semi's able to do that, so you don't need to either. Just have fun, and for me at least the trip there is half the fun.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:59 PM   #5

Hey DeeBee-

Go for it...you have enough truck and will work fine in the mountains. Like DocBrown said, there's no race. Keep at 62 mph with tow/haul mode on. My F150 is a 6 speed with a 5.4L V-8 and I have no problems at all. Slower going uphill but the 5.4 and tranny handle it fine. Beautiful scenery in Colo to look at while going up anyway. My 24FBS is 500 lbs. heavier than yours, just be sure to add a good weight distribution hitch (Equalizer) and you'll be good to go.

Bought our 24FBS last year and we love it. It tows easily thru the flats and the mountains of New Mexico, Colorado, and Arizona.

Good luck with your choice.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:53 AM   #6

The biggest issue you probably would have is if you load the bed with a ton of stuff, like firewood. Otherwise I don't see an issue as mentioned already!

Go for it!

Also mentioned, get a good hitch system with integrated sway control, Equal-I-Zer 4 way system, Reese Straightline Dual Cam, Reese SC are the few that have been around a while (SC is a little newer, but very similar in design to the Equal-I-Zer). Blue Ox is a newer system, Recurve R6 as well, plus a couple others. Have heard a few decent things about the Anderson, BUT.... if you have a certain style coupler on the tongue of the trailer it won't work with it (I don't know the exact details of which one).

The listed dry tongue weight is 535lbs. Not sure if that model has 20lb or 30lb propane tanks, but if 20lbs + a battery adds ~ 120lbs, 30lbs + battery adds ~ 160lbs. Depending on what is loaded in the trailer and how it is loaded, you may be at the limit of 800lb rated wd (weight distribution) bars. Maybe do some research for people who own that model to see if they posted what their loaded tw (tongue weight) is.

Do you have a factory brake controller, or at least the factory hitch package? If you don't have the factory hitch package, you need an external tranny cooler added (at least the last gen trucks did: through 13) along with the receiver hitch. The Tekonsha P2 and P3 are highly regarded brake controllers.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:57 AM   #7

We have this trailer, but its a bit heavier than yours, like someone else said, about 500lbs or so.

We have a F150 V8 and it tows the trailer without any problems. And we've pulled it through Banff (the rockies) and up and down the Alaska Hwy. All very mountainous. We also averaged double digits mileage.

Enjoy, it's a great trailer for a couple.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #8

Can I ask, any idea why "ykcamom's" trailer is 500 lbs. heavier? Is there something I'm missing? More weight, more concern on my part.
Thanks to all for the input. I find each reply interesting...and helpful.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #9

Hard to say. The 5400lbs you posted, is that per the sticker on the camper? The "brochure" dry weight is about 5100lbs, I am guessing that the 5499lbs is per the yellow sticker. Chances are the replied weights are loaded maybe??? Maybe they are light(er) packers. On average people can easily add 1k lbs to the "dry weight".

While I have never towed a tt in the mountains, towing ~7200lbs with our '10-1500 5.3/6spd/3.42 ccsb, which was at gvwr. Never felt a lack of power, just needed more suspension! Your truck has more power than the previous generation.

Do you have a brake controller and/ or the factory tow package?

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #10

We have a brake controller we had installed. Does that make a difference? I know we don't have the factory tow package with a 3.73 axle ratio.