Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2019, 05:32 PM   #1

Kayaks in Truck Bed?

When we first purchased our RV we had an SUV with rails so we transported our kayaks on the roof of the SUV. We now have a Truck with a standard bed and are wondering if anyone else transports their kayaks in the bed of their truck while towing their RV. Our kayaks are 10’ long. We are wondering if there is enough clearance? I would love to have a ladder rack but it is not in the budget right now! Thanks in advance!
Old 07-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebKen View Post
When we first purchased our RV we had an SUV with rails so we transported our kayaks on the roof of the SUV. We now have a Truck with a standard bed and are wondering if anyone else transports their kayaks in the bed of their truck while towing their RV. Our kayaks are 10’ long. We are wondering if there is enough clearance? I would love to have a ladder rack but it is not in the budget right now! Thanks in advance!
Bought set of ladder racks on line for about $120. easy to install. Best set up for kayaks with a pickup.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:47 AM   #3

I bought some aluminum racks that are portable. Takes about 10 minutes to set up with a wrench, socket an allen wrench an maybe 5 minutes to take both down. I wrapped em with a pool noodle to help protect the Yak. They only weigh about 15lbs a piece an with a bad back make then very nice. If I can remember where I bought em I'll send a linkClick image for larger version

Name:	20190727_075927.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	52005
Old 07-30-2019, 05:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebKen View Post
we have an 9'and 10' kayak and we transport them in the bed of our long bed truck just fine. the 9 just barely rests on the top of the tailgate and the 10 is over the top of the tailgate by just a foot or less. i just take a ratchet strap and apply a little pressure on them so they do not slide around. works very well for us. we can still fit our firewood and everything else in the bed.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #5

We rolled with two in the bed and one inside the trailer. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	52011
jasonnorton is offline   Reply With Quote