Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2021, 04:05 PM   #1

Laughable electric towing video

So here is a real world test by TFLC on towing a very small, 1700 lbs, teardrop trailer with an electric, Volkswagen ID.4 vehicle. Results are laughable!

https://youtu.be/WnmiFjaybBg
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:00 PM   #2

Its gunna be a while before electric vehicles, truck or otherwise, can effectively tow a travel trailer/5th wheel.

There have been days I have been in 30 mph headwinds and getting 6.7 mpg and even with a 36 gallon gas tank I was stopping somewhat frequently. An electric truck with the current battery tech might make it 75 miles in those conditions.

That said, when the day does come where they can do it, I would pick an electric drivetrain over an ICE any day. There is a reason locomotives use electric drive motors.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:59 PM   #3

And locomotives hold nearly 2500gal of diesel fuel to power those electric motors and make it about 500 miles.
Sure, they are pulling upward of 3000 tons of weight behind them but they are also running on rails that have an extremely low rolling resistance unlike rubber on the road.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
And locomotives hold nearly 2500gal of diesel fuel to power those electric motors and make it about 500 miles.
Sure, they are pulling upward of 3000 tons of weight behind them but they are also running on rails that have an extremely low rolling resistance unlike rubber on the road.

Like i said. When the day comes.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:22 AM   #5

Well this test will shoot down all of those mileage claims on towing with an EV! I’m glad they did it.

It’s kinda like the old MPG on a cars sticker, yea right!

And Mass-hole, I use to drive in high winds, with my RV, but now, if I can help it, I stay put anything over 20mph. But sometimes you gotta be on time!
Old 09-10-2021, 09:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Well this test will shoot down all of those mileage claims on towing with an EV! I’m glad they did it.

And Mass-hole, I use to drive in high winds, with my RV, but now, if I can help it, I stay put anything over 20mph. But sometimes you gotta be on time!
I feel like, more often than not, I have to drive in winds like that if I want to go anywhere in southern UT, ID or WY. Its just how it is. If I get a windless day its a treat.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
You said old like the new ones are any better...

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
You said old like the new ones are any better...

Lol, yes, new vehicles are better on MPG but still don’t live up to the sticker expectations! Could never understand how they think these numbers work in the real world! It’s all just a selling ploy!
Old 09-14-2021, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Lol, yes, new vehicles are better on MPG but still don’t live up to the sticker expectations! Could never understand how they think these numbers work in the real world! It’s all just a selling ploy!

Because the sticker assumes highway speed is 55 mph. If i go 55 mph I can hit mid 20’s in my F150.

But who drives at 55 mph on the highway. I tow at 70 here in Utah.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:34 PM   #10
RPR

For the test which is in a controlled environment with drive wheels on rollers on a stand manufacturers to pass the EPA minimum MPG numbers use light weight oil in transmission and engine, tire air pressure to the max and controlled speeds.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #11

Like I said, laughable! :-)))))
Old 09-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #12

Prius autos are gas-electric. Gas engine that charges Ni-Mh batteries. Still uses gas and then you have to worry replacing batteries after 100K miles.

I stop at the station and fill up with diesel in 15 minutes. I then look over at the Tesla charge stations where cars are lined up and waiting, and waiting, and waiting for a 30% bump while I'm on my merry way.

Nope, will not ever purchase a Li battery powered tow vehicle or RV. That is just foolhardy IMHO.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:37 PM   #13

Smalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
I worked for 'the railroad' for 35 years. Switch and yard engines have 2,500 gallon capacity. Road units like the SD60 (EMD) generate 3,800 hp, carry 4,500 to 5,000 gallons of fuel and get as little as 183 gallons/hr consumption. Newer Dash 8 and Dash 9 locomotives (GE) generate 4,000 and 4,400 hp respectively, have 5,500 gallon capacity and get as little as 211 gallons/hr.

https://www.gatx.com/wps/wcm/connect...S&CVID=kBD-GwT A recent test of an all electric locomotive by BNSF showed SOME promise, but given the fact diesel power is currently the most cost effective means of cross country bulk transportation, they have a ways to go. https://www.bnsf.com/news-media/rail...ocomotive.html
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #14

I own one

Quote:
Originally Posted by msherw View Post
Prius autos are gas-electric. Gas engine that charges Ni-Mh batteries. Still uses gas and then you have to worry replacing batteries after 100K miles.

I stop at the station and fill up with diesel in 15 minutes. I then look over at the Tesla charge stations where cars are lined up and waiting, and waiting, and waiting for a 30% bump while I'm on my merry way.

Nope, will not ever purchase a Li battery powered tow vehicle or RV. That is just foolhardy IMHO.

I had a 2005 (2nd gen) Prius and it made 28,000 miles before component failure in the transaxle required I trade it, Toyota didn't have techs to fix.
I had a 2013 Ford C-Max and made 80,000 miles without a single problem.

It is currently on the road and according to Carmax has 130,000 miles.
I have a 2018 Ford Fusion Hybrid and have had ZERO problems with it, full well expect to get well over 100,000 miles. It averages (mostly highway) 39.9 mpg and the added weight of the battery bank makes the ride smooth. Oh, and the batteries in all three is warranted for 10 years 150k miles. None of them towed, but the Hybrid Mondeo in Europe is rated for 1,000 kilograms.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #15

This is worth a watch. Electric will get there, it's just got a ways to go.

https://youtu.be/oJL9MasBFvM

Quote:
It's driving style. Punch the gas at every stop light, no you'll never get EPA estimates. Drive conservatively and it's no problem. When I've done 60 on a 55 country hwy, not towing, I've always exceeded the EPA estimates. Same for city driving.

I knew this guy who had the exact same car as his wife, but one year different. He punched it at every stop, and flew down the freeway like there was no tomorrow. His wife drove like an old lady. He could never understand why she always got far better mileage than he did.

Mod your vehicle, like a lift and larger tires on a truck, all bets for EPA estimates are off.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
I feel like, more often than not, I have to drive in winds like that if I want to go anywhere in southern UT, ID or WY. Its just how it is. If I get a windless day its a treat.
X2 and add South Dakota, Nebraska, Eastern Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona...

Even the Mackinac Bridge here - the last two times had restricted vehicles and speed limit of 20 with 45-50 mph gusts - long white-knuckle 15 minutes in company with some big protective trucks...
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:17 PM   #17

I think the thing that caught my ear in the OP's linked video was when it was said he wasn't using any of the environmentals in the car during the test. I don't know how much that drags down the battery but it has to take out some percentage if it's not a comfortable 74 degrees out every time you tow. Not to mention the battery degradation in cold weather, if you tow a lot in the winter like I do.

I agree with what others have said about improvements coming and I'm sure they will. For me, until they have a vehicle that can tow a large trailer at least 300-350 miles before recharging and recharge to 100% in less than 15-20 minutes, I won't be driving one.

When I road trip in the 5er, especially in the winter, I'll typically cover 800-900 miles a day. If I had to stop every 100-150 miles and wait an hour before I could go again, it'd take forever for me to get to my destinations.

The 2nd vid that was posted was a good watch. Honestly, I actually enjoyed both. But EV has a long way to go before it's close to usable for towing of any kind, other than to a local park and back.

Just my $.02, which is probably really worth much less.

Tim
Flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:31 PM   #18
Site Team

I just don't like that some of them spontaneously combust in the driveway...or garage.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:32 PM   #19

Laughable electric towing video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingaggie View Post
I think the thing that caught my ear in the OP's linked video was when it was said he wasn't using any of the environmentals in the car during the test. I don't know how much that drags down the battery but it has to take out some percentage if it's not a comfortable 74 degrees out every time you tow. Not to mention the battery degradation in cold weather, if you tow a lot in the winter like I do.

I agree with what others have said about improvements coming and I'm sure they will. For me, until they have a vehicle that can tow a large trailer at least 300-350 miles before recharging and recharge to 100% in less than 15-20 minutes, I won't be driving one.

When I road trip in the 5er, especially in the winter, I'll typically cover 800-900 miles a day. If I had to stop every 100-150 miles and wait an hour before I could go again, it'd take forever for me to get to my destinations.

The 2nd vid that was posted was a good watch. Honestly, I actually enjoyed both. But EV has a long way to go before it's close to usable for towing of any kind, other than to a local park and back.

Just my $.02, which is probably really worth much less.

Tim

Agree.

I think electric drive itself is superior to gas(hence my previous post about locomotives) but its the battery tech that needs to catch up.

Honestly, im not sure why someone hasnt done a diesel powered generator. A 150-200hp diesel engine that is designed to run ultra efficiently at a single rpm to power a generator and feed batteries and/or direct drive would be nice. Basically, an on road locomotive.

On the flats or downhills where the electric motors dont consume all of the power, charge a battery. When you hit a hill, the electric motors consume the full power of the generator and also are supplemented by the battery.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:28 PM   #20
RPR

Wonder what wind speed it would take to turn a alternator ?
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote