Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2023, 01:38 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
i'm sorry, it must be someone else's fault
rofllmao!!!!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:59 AM   #142

Lawsuit for Dealer Selling too heavy TT for TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon67 View Post
My personal opinion is that the buyer should school themselves about tow ratings, GVWR, GCVW, tongue weights, WD hitches, etc, etc before they buy anything with a hitch on it. All the info is available, in my case I use the Ford Fleet publications for the trucks. Most trailer ratings are "dry", so best to remember that water is 8.3 lbs/gallon and everything you stick in the box has a weight.
No argument, but there’s two significant challenges I see:

1) Those of us that are aware of what all the towing alphabet soup means usually forget or underestimate how much they’ve learned and how long it took them to acquire that knowledge. It can be overwhelming to a newbie and some people aren’t that mechanical to start off with. Worse, some can’t even be bothered to learn or come to acknowledge towing over capacity can be very dangerous for everyone near them.

2) Dealers should stop quoting empty weight which we all know is meaningless from most contexts, instead start quoting the GVWR and high estimated pin/tongue weight based off GVWR and strongly encourage the newbie get the rig weighed.

Quoting the empty weight is extremely misleading, as most TT/5ers, and even many driveables, are going down the road near or at capacity anyway. The dealers and especially salespeople are also the smaller group to educate about those things, so at least they can start newbies off on a course for success while they do acquire the knowledge above and it’ll protect the rest of us from those that won’t learn.

I’m not throwing shade at anyone here (e.g., newbies, we were all there at some point) except maybe the salespeople who are dangerous because they don’t know enough to know they have no idea what they’re talking about and the dealers that don’t educate their employees on what could be a life/death situation.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:33 PM   #143

Regarding your #1, I spent literally a few hundred hours researching everything related to towing before I purchased the trailer. Don't expect others to do your homework.

#2 don't agree. This point is related to #1. If people would understand what it takes to set up everything correctly, they would understand the difference between dry and wet weight and would know what CAT scale is. Instead we have a lot of "experts" on the road who just hitch up and go.

I mentioned this and will repeat. There should be an additional license required to tow a large trailer. It is mind boggling that in the US where obtaining a regular driving license is so easy in comparison to other countries, you don't need additional license to tow a few thousands pounds on the road.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:49 AM   #144
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I mentioned this and will repeat. There should be an additional license required to tow a large trailer. It is mind boggling that in the US where obtaining a regular driving license is so easy in comparison to other countries, you don't need additional license to tow a few thousands pounds on the road.

I agree with this 100% and some states are starting to do just that. Here in PA for example, they now offer a non-commercial class A or B license for RV's operated over 26K.

What I would also like to see would be a training course similar to the CDL training requirements before that license can be issued. It could be a much shortened version. But something that covers vehicle dynamics, loading, air brake systems for the large class A motorhomes, etc. Probably will never happen. But I think that it would be very beneficial.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote