Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
There is absolutely no need for any further regulation in this country. If You buy it, you’re responsible for it, period. No reason to blame or sue anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But, but, but... that's the American way! There is no way that *I* could have any liability in my poor decisions, its always someone ELSES fault...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #42
Site Team

There are a lot of people out there buying rucks and campers who don't have a clue what they are getting into. Could be why there are so many problems and questions.

A friend of mine recently called me and asked me if their tv would tow a used Jayco they were looking at. First questions out of my mouth were what is the towing capacity of the truck, what is the weight of the trailer and the tongue weight. She said she did not know. I asked if there was a WDH and she said it was included and they were picking it up in a few days.

We were headed out the state on a trip and I still don't know if they are even alive! She is Blonde.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #43

I always get a charge out of the RV shows on TV:

Jack and Suzi are here today to buy their first RV. Their budget is $50K. View of cute couple w/ kids pulling into the lot in a Prius. They look a three huge TT's, all over budget. But their only concern is the color of the couch and how many televisions. No other questions. The sales rep, a grinning idiot, never says to them, "What the hell to you idiots plan to pull this with?" But at the end of thirty minutes, they've made a purchase and ride off into the sunset with the new trailer. Everybody's happy.

No finance rejection from the bank. No delivery delays. No angry phone calls about quality (lack of) and all the dealer's broken promises. No video of the kids dumping a grape Slurpie all over the beds. No question of who pays the note off after the divorce two years later.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegreen View Post
I agree completely , Which is why the dealer should not be telling and or lying to the customer what their tow vehicle can Tow.

Talk is cheap. If the dealer puts in writing (which I’ve never heard of them doing)that a specific TV is compatible to tow a specific RV, that’s a different story.
It’s still up to the buyer to run the numbers for him/herself.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjr View Post
I always get a charge out of the RV shows on TV:

Jack and Suzi are here today to buy their first RV. Their budget is $50K. View of cute couple w/ kids pulling into the lot in a Prius. They look a three huge TT's, all over budget. But their only concern is the color of the couch and how many televisions. No other questions. The sales rep, a grinning idiot, never says to them, "What the hell to you idiots plan to pull this with?" But at the end of thirty minutes, they've made a purchase and ride off into the sunset with the new trailer. Everybody's happy.

No finance rejection from the bank. No delivery delays. No angry phone calls about quality (lack of) and all the dealer's broken promises. No video of the kids dumping a grape Slurpie all over the beds. No question of who pays the note off after the divorce two years later.
I have seen those shows too, I assume they must be at least somewhat staged. For one thing the last thing you want to tell a salesman is what your budget is. You tell him your budget is 30k and he will show you a 30k MSRP unit. And yep, they cant live without that big TV or the bathroom is too small etc is the primary concern.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #46

Ultimately it is the driver behind the wheels’ responsibility to know and understand the limits of the vehicle. The dealer doesn’t drive it on the road so no it’s not they’re responsibility. This is why educating yourself on such things is so important before you buy not after.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #47
Site Team

How hard is it to go online before going to the RV dealer and dump the towing numbers for your TV. It takes a minute or 2 to get the information and print it out. So, you print it out, circle your trucks numbers and take it with you to the RV dealer. Tell them you want to be a minimum of 10%-15% lower than the TV's max specifications. Ford sample below. And you bring in the numbers on the inside of your door to supplement the towing numbers.

To me that is more than half the battle of the which RV can I tow?

Just for the heck of it, on the next RV, I will record the entire sale. Yes it is legal, but not phone conversations.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
F150 RV & Trailer Towing Guide.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #48

I was going to look at a tt, but before I went I checked the weights and found that I was maxing out my truck. I called to cancel the appointment and explained that the tt was going to max out my truck. The seller said he had the WDH and it would eliminate about 2000lbs so I would be ok. Supposedly the tt salesman told him that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I also have a tt salesman friend( former truck salesman) that was over heard (by the boss)telling a customer his tv wasn't up to the task of pulling the tt he was going to buy. He was fired
Old 11-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I am from Europe. One of the observations about the US is the fact that there are many rules, regulations and the lawyers have a good life.
I see you live in California as do I, Calif. is the worst of the worst for rules and regulations!
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
In the end it's ALWAYS buyer beware.. Before purchasing our Tundra I went to Ford...gave them all my requirements as to Tow capacity, cargo capacity etc... he gave me a copy of the truck he ASSURED me was the one I wanted. Since they carry no brochures anymore when I got home I looked up online and found the two capacity and cargo capacity was NOT what he had written on the copy of the Truck invoice... I called him back and when I said you lied...he got indignant until I pointed out the numbers...than got very quiet and I said thanks, but I can't trust you and hung up.

In the end it's ALWAYS Buyer beware....
Glad you pointed out, its not just the RV Dealers, the Car/Truck dealers don't know what they are selling either (or don't care). When I traded my F150 in and mentioned the available payload stickers on the door jamb, they looked at me like I was crazy, I even was able to show the dealer his F250 Loaded PSD would only hold a few more pounds on spec paper than the F150 I was looking to trade.

I was definitely ignorant when I bought the Jayco, I walked in with the "my truck can tow 12,500lbs no problem and this trailer has a max weight of 10000, no problems". Tongue weight/payload wasnt even on my mind, and of course all the dealers looked at my truck and said "no problem". They probably didn't lie, that tow vehicle with NO passengers and no cargo would have been fine. Loading it it got very tight.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I have seen those shows too, I assume they must be at least somewhat staged. For one thing the last thing you want to tell a salesman is what your budget is. You tell him your budget is 30k and he will show you a 30k MSRP unit. And yep, they cant live without that big TV or the bathroom is too small etc is the primary concern.
the first thing a salesman/woman does is to find out 1 your budget 2 your personal information to become "your friend" because friends pay retail period.. never give a sales person any information personal or otherwise until you have settled on the price of the purchase...
then you can chum it up all you want.. I even have asked now that I am your friend we should do dinner sometime o)) be prepared to walk... only 10% of the population is confrontational... if you are, you get the best deals the rest pay for your deal... simple as that...

I get smokin' deals on things I buy that matter... because I walk out the door... then the calls start then the price keeps going in my favor ... you walk out that door or you show them your deals you are going to next they come around fast... really fast...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
the first thing a salesman/woman does is to find out 1 your budget 2 your personal information to become "your friend" because friends pay retail period.. never give a sales person any information personal or otherwise until you have settled on the price of the purchase...
then you can chum it up all you want.. I even have asked now that I am your friend we should do dinner sometime o)) be prepared to walk... only 10% of the population is confrontational... if you are, you get the best deals the rest pay for your deal... simple as that...

I get smokin' deals on things I buy that matter... because I walk out the door... then the calls start then the price keeps going in my favor ... you walk out that door or you show them your deals you are going to next they come around fast... really fast...
Agreed. Another tactic is "how much do you want your payments to be?" I will worry about how much my payments will be, if any, after a bottomline price and interest rate have been established, not before. There are all kinds of shell games they can play. The informed and experienced can get much better deals.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #53

If I'm trading there's only one number I care about... the difference to be paid. I've already got a number in mind when I start dealing, just a matter of how close I can get the salesman to it. When I start out with that method they are usually surprised as not very many think that way. If I'm not trading then they better start trotting out their invoice paperwork.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #54

So I would assume, because you never give a budget number out, if you came to an architect and wanted to build a house. You would never tell him a $$ amount you had to spend. He's suppose to design a Million dollar house and when you say too much, he than is suppose to design houses until YOU decide it's the price you want to pay.

A good salesperson, would of course ask your budget. He doesn't want to waste your time or his showing you a $500,000 class A when your budget is $30,000. You should tell him a range and also include what you have in mind size wise.

You came to me to design a home for you and said I'm not telling you how much I want to spend, I would show you the door and tell you when your serious to come back. By the time you get to me, or to the RV salesman you should have a pretty good idea how much you want to spend.

I can tell you, the easiest ones to fool are the ones that think everyone is out to screw them..

I doubt a court would hold a truck salesperson responsible for an RV you purchase meeting your needs anymore than an RV salesman can be held accountable for what TV you purchase...It's up to YOU. You screw up, it's your fault. Especially today with all the information available on the internet there is no excuse for not buying an RV and a TV that are compatible and safe to operate.

You can't fix stupid, not everything is someone eles' fault, most times it's YOU.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #55

Agreed, of course you have to at least give a budget range. Why on earth would you want to waste time looking at items well below or above your budget?

I sell highend landscapes, and as the last poster said, if someone won’t give me a budget and I’m scheduled out a few months, they will politely be told that I’m happy to spend time on their project when they are ready to as well.

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #56

On my last search, a salesman asked... "Don't you trust me?" BWAHAHAHA! I said... "I don't know you." When I bought my last one the sales manager said... "Are you going to let $500- keep you from buying this trailer?" I said... "Are you going to let $500- keep you from selling this trailer?" We started out the door... and he followed us to the truck, I guess to see if we'd really leave. We did. He called the next day and took our deal. They're every bit as bad as used car salesmen... I do believe the buyer is responsible for knowing the limits of their TV. I doubt this would go very far in court. The information is available, even though most people, especially first timers, don't know to look, or where to look.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
So I would assume, because you never give a budget number out, if you came to an architect and wanted to build a house. You would never tell him a $$ amount you had to spend. He's suppose to design a Million dollar house and when you say too much, he than is suppose to design houses until YOU decide it's the price you want to pay.

A good salesperson, would of course ask your budget. He doesn't want to waste your time or his showing you a $500,000 class A when your budget is $30,000. You should tell him a range and also include what you have in mind size wise.

You came to me to design a home for you and said I'm not telling you how much I want to spend, I would show you the door and tell you when your serious to come back. By the time you get to me, or to the RV salesman you should have a pretty good idea how much you want to spend.

I can tell you, the easiest ones to fool are the ones that think everyone is out to screw them..

I doubt a court would hold a truck salesperson responsible for an RV you purchase meeting your needs anymore than an RV salesman can be held accountable for what TV you purchase...It's up to YOU. You screw up, it's your fault. Especially today with all the information available on the internet there is no excuse for not buying an RV and a TV that are compatible and safe to operate.

You can't fix stupid, not everything is someone eles' fault, most times it's YOU.
I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Picking a trailer out of a lot is a bit different then having an architect design a house from scratch. With a simple internet inventory search you can know ahead of time info on every unit that is on their lot long before you ever talk to a salesman, so you already know whats available in your budget, and what might tickle your fancy.. Its not about everyone trying to screw you its going into a purchase well informed. I cant see where that would make one the "easiest to fool". I think I have done OK on many purchases over the years. And we all know some salesman do try to play games with our money so me must be diligent.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Picking a trailer out of a lot is a bit different then having an architect design a house from scratch. With a simple internet inventory search you can know ahead of time info on every unit that is on their lot long before you ever talk to a salesman, so you already know whats available in your budget, and what might tickle your fancy.. Its not about everyone trying to screw you its going into a purchase well informed. I cant see where that would make one the "easiest to fool". I think I have done OK on many purchases over the years. And we all know some salesman do try to play games with our money so me must be diligent.
You totally missed my point, but at the same time you made it. To those that will never give a salesman your budget (even knowing as you did, what you wanted and could afford) are making a huge mistake. I would not waste my time with someone I could not narrow down to price and expectations. Is a salesperson suppose to just walk around blind, showing you TT when you wanted a 5er.. or a Class A when you wanted a Class C ?

And I'm sorry, just as many customers are willing to try and screw (by not giving them correct information) than professional sales people. If you don't trust the sales person why would you EVER go to them to buy something ??

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
You totally missed my point, but at the same time you made it. To those that will never give a salesman your budget (even knowing as you did, what you wanted and could afford) are making a huge mistake. I would not waste my time with someone I could not narrow down to price and expectations. Is a salesperson suppose to just walk around blind, showing you TT when you wanted a 5er.. or a Class A when you wanted a Class C ?

And I'm sorry, just as many customers are willing to try and screw (by not giving them correct information) than professional sales people. If you don't trust the sales person why would you EVER go to them to buy something ??
I guess we just disagree on this and I will leave it at that. Cheers.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegreen View Post
I agree completely, which is why if they don't know anything about the customer's TV, they shouldn't be telling the customer what TT the customer's TV can tow.

(that might be a tongue twister). LOL

You can also say that if TV and TT dealers don’t know the customer’s driving record/ history and skills level then they should not be selling their products to customer.

mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote