Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #1

Learning to tow

We do not own a TT yet; we are shopping, saving our money, and deciding what we want.

We found a trailer that is just under 30' that we like, but we didn't anticipate liking a trailer this long.

We have never towed anything before--not a lowboy, not a boat, not a uhaul, nothing.
Is it a bad idea to start out with something this long?

(If our tow vehicle makes a difference, we own a Ford F-150 3.5L v6 Ecoboost with factory tow package. We know we would need a weight distribution hitch.)
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #2

Well, you can learn to swim by just jumping in!

I say, go for it and take your time to learn to tow. If a Murphy can do it, so can you!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #3

Yep....like Murff says.....Jump in and do it. But you do need to practice. With a camper that long, a little turn goes a long way, and a big turn goes a little......sorta. Best place is big open parking lot and some orange cones! Good luck!
tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #4

What is the Empty and Gross Weights of your trailer? That is going to be a serious consideration with an F-150 with a 3.5 engine.

If you must stick with the tow vehicle you have. Verify the weight the hitch (Tongue weight) can hold, the maximum weight the truck can haul INCLUDING YOUR FAMILY WEIGHT, and anything else you have in the truck (Firewood, bikes,...etc)

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #5

Believe it or not the longer trailers are actually easier to tow and back up. The shorter trailers swing around much quicker then the longer ones.

Take some time to practice before heading out for real. Use the largest open lot you can scope out. Practice making wider turns and backing. Until you learn to back confidently remembering that the back of the trailer will move in the opposite direction that you turn the wheel. You can place both hands on the very bottom of the wheel and then just move them in the direction you want the trailer to go.

I've been pulling trailers of some kind for nearly 30 years now and it becomes second nature...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #6

Several things need to be looked at 1st.
Whats the payload rating of the truck?
How heavy is the tongue weight of the TT?
How heavy will the TT be when loaded?

If you can't make all those numbers work then you'll need to look for a bigger truck or lighter TT.

If you're not the handyman type then towing an RV might be overwhelming. Setting up the trailer and truck so that they tow properly is not easy if you're not mechanically inclined. Having a dealer do it is also a waste of time.

If and when you do decide to make the plunge, be sure and come back here if you have trouble.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #7

Do you live in a place that is open enough that you are willing to attempt pulling it locally as you learn? Driving forward and pulling is the easy thing. With attention and care, it comes naturally. Slower to get started, slower to stop, allow more following distance. Watch your mirrors and drive more cautiously.

Backing will be the harder part. You have to back it up eventually. Someone posted a video recently about backing that was a good video. I'd suggest looking for that. Most people find a big open parking lot and spend a few hours practicing.

One thing that I would strongly suggest is to see if your state has a study book for getting a CDL (Commercial Driver License). If not, I know for certain that Michigan does and can be downloaded for free. Spend some time reading through that. Has some good information on how to drive a big truck and a trailer. There is information on things like Air Brakes that don't apply, but driving style, things to consider, etc. will give you a good knowledge base. I learned a few new things myself and I've been towing for 10 years. Could help you feel more prepared for your first trip with a trailer.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:54 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
We do not own a TT yet; we are shopping, saving our money, and deciding what we want.

We found a trailer that is just under 30' that we like, but we didn't anticipate liking a trailer this long.

We have never towed anything before--not a lowboy, not a boat, not a uhaul, nothing.
Is it a bad idea to start out with something this long?

(If our tow vehicle makes a difference, we own a Ford F-150 3.5L v6 Ecoboost with factory tow package. We know we would need a weight distribution hitch.)
Loaded weights of a 30 ft trailer vary greatly as do the available payloads on F150's. Payload is usually the limiting factor with the actual weight of the trailer being a secondary consideration. Payload will be listed on the yellow sticker on your door frame and from this you subtract everything you put in the truck (kids, dogs, bikes, cooler, firewood etc.) and the loaded tongue weight of the trailer which should be 12 to 15% of the loaded weight of your trailer. Pay attention to the manufacturer ratings and try to ignore the vocal minority on this site that insist an F150 should not pull anything larger than a tent trailer.

Budget for a good weight distribution (WD) hitch with anti-sway. Hensley and Propride 3p are the best on the market and I have used a Propride for the last 3 years with our 28BHBE (30.5 ft) and would not tow without it. Longer trailers make a good quality properly adjusted hitch and essential item.

The primary challenge of a longer trailer is cutting corners too close or "curbing" the trailer tires when turning. The F150 tow mirrors are great, when properly adjusted, for using the little convex mirrors at the bottom to keep an eye on your trailer tires and sides of the trailer when you are turning corners. Just go slow at first and spend a Sunday afternoon driving around near home to get used to the extra length behind you and then go to a parking lot one evening and practice backing into your pretend "campsite" with your spotter. Make sure you and your spotter have a clear set of signals or even use a set of small walkie talkies. Have your spotter back the trailer up while you give directions, it will help both of you understand what the other is seeing and saying.

If you are concerned about your length while lane changing, a backup camera with high-speed capabilities is great for letting you know when the back of your trailer has cleared the vehicle beside you and also helps for backing the trailer up.

Everybody towing a trailer, towed for the first time once. IMHO towing a 25 ft trailer differs very little from towing a 31 ft trailer. A trailer that is 20 ft or shorter will allow you to get into campsites in some state parks that would otherwise not be available, but you will appreciate the extra 10ft of camper on rainy days or for extended camping trips.

Don't hesitate to ask any further questions.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #9

Find a RV dealer or outlet that rents TT's. They usually will rent WDH's with it and set up the WDH for you.

That way you will get a feel for towing without putting out the cash on a TT.

I rented one B4 I bought just to make sure my TV was capable with the weight of the trailer I wanted to buy. I am 1600 lbs. below max tow rating of 7200 lbs.

You have to make sure your TV is capable of towing the size you are looking at.

GVWR, FAWR, RAWR, max tow rating, are the important stats to be aware of. I'm a firm believer of don't max out your tow rating when buying a TT.

Buying any TT that's over your TV capability is asking for trouble and your RV experience will be a miserable one.

Don't believe the salesman who says "sure you can tow that, no problem".
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #10

Aside from the weight police comments, your truck will tow the TT without issue. My FIL has the same truck and tows his 10k# FW across the country. Well not all the way, MI to SC to FL to TX and anywhere in between.

As said, best way is to practice. Backing into a site is likely your biggest challenge, so practice that the most. When backed g, put your hand on the bottom of the wheel and move it in the direction you want the back of the trailer to move. Good luck!

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
Aside from the weight police comments, your truck will tow the TT without issue. My FIL has the same truck and tows his 10k# FW across the country. Well not all the way, MI to SC to FL to TX and anywhere in between.

As said, best way is to practice. Backing into a site is likely your biggest challenge, so practice that the most. When backed g, put your hand on the bottom of the wheel and move it in the direction you want the back of the trailer to move. Good luck!

Without knowing the size and weight of the trailer he's looking at, your telling him he can tow it SAFELY with no problems.

Weight police I guess, but being that he is new to towing, he needs to be aware of capacities, etc. in order to keep him & his family and anyone else on the road, SAFE while towing.

The weight of a 30 ft. TT varies a lot based on builder, quality, options, etc.

His loaded vehicle, with family, gear, WDH and tongue weight will be a deciding issue here. The RAWR is the limit he will have to be aware of.

You can hitch up any trailer and tow it if you want, but exceeding any of the limits isn't smart.

It's common sense to do your homework B4 buying any TT, and know what to look for as far as your tow vehicle's capacities.

Take with a grain of salt what the salesman tells you.

Maybe he can tow safely the TT he's looking at, but until we know actual numbers it's not a good thing to generalize and assume he's with in limits.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #12

I appreciate everyone's responses.
I'm noticing that my truck's capabilities have been questioned more in this thread than my own towing capabilities. lol!

Here is one of the trailers we are considering. I think the gross weight and tongue weight are low enough. It's the newbies (us) I'm worried about.

https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...ht-slx/264bhw/
Old 07-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #13

Go rent a u-haul and practice.
Get the insurance.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #14

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's responses.
I'm noticing that my truck's capabilities have been questioned more in this thread than my own towing capabilities. lol!

Here is one of the trailers we are considering. I think the gross weight and tongue weight are low enough. It's the newbies (us) I'm worried about.

https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...ht-slx/264bhw/
Looking at those weights for that trailer you have no issues towing it.

When you mentioned 30 ft., I was thinking your actual box length was 30 ft. not including the tongue length.

As I said, there are so many trailers out there with the same length, and their weights can vary considerably based on various factors.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #15

Politics and religion are more safe to discuss than TV capabilities lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
doo800XRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #16

I had never towed before buying a Jayco 32bhds, with the hitch it is 35 feet.

I had never had a truck either. I bought my F250 used, after buying the trailer, which was a special order and took 6 weeks to arrive.

Yes, it was scary at first. The first summer I mostly did pull throughs, with a couple of back in attempts that took a long, long time.

But one gets better, and more at ease, as time goes on. If I can learn, and do it, anyone can.

At the end of the day, don't let the size scare you. Take it slow, I do. I can still spend a day on the road and never pass any one. But that is OK, I am camping and trying to get away from the normal rush.

Enjoy!

Ensign
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #17

OP, no big deal starting with a 30'er. You can learn by just jumping in and you can always find an empty parking lot to practice. The only part that may get tricky is backing. You'll just have to take it a little slower that's all. Take turns wide, go slow and when in doubt just slow some more. I say get what you want and just take it easy...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero View Post
Go rent a u-haul and practice.
Get the insurance.
Would a uhaul be tall enough to block out my rear window, somewhat simulating a tt? Not being snarky; this is a good idea if it will simulate a small tt.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Would a uhaul be tall enough to block out my rear window, somewhat simulating a tt? Not being snarky; this is a good idea if it will simulate a small tt.
Depends on the trailer rented.
My thinking is get the biggest they'll rent you. That will definitely create some blind spots but not quite like a TT.
Consider it as training, since you've never towed before.
Even maneuvering a flatbed will give you experience in turn radius and backing.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #20

Don't rent the short cheapie.
Unless you really want a frustrating backing up experience
Short trailers are tough.