Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
Although I haven't purchased a set of Coopers since 2000, ive never had good wear out of them. Even run at the vehicle required pressures, they wear in the center before the edges. They are a nice "round" tire, meaning they always balance out with little weight, not sure im up for premature wear as i have experaniced in the past. Ive thought about general grabber at2, which look real close, its something to think about I guess.

That is probably the part that is making this choice so hard. Being an ASE certifed mechanic, I get it... Just really makes me wonder IF i could get away with it, but I know the truck does call for LR E 265's. I guess, the part that keeps holding me up, is the carrying capasity of the 285s and that being the size I really want.

Im really leaning towards the KO2's in the 285 E's. I just wish someone had 2 Goodyear Wrangler Silent armors laying around that were in good condition. The lack of rotation from the previous owner chewed 2 of them up, but the other 2 are 50-75% tread remain.

Cooper Tires now are entirely different tire than the ones they made 15yrs ago. The AT3 is a highly rated tire for wear, traction and durability.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:08 PM   #12

One thing you may not be considering is that putting on the taller tires will have the same effect as a higher gear ratio. I know that one size doesn't sound like much, but it will be enough of a difference to notice. Your truck will have to work harder to pull the trailer.

I don't recommend it.

etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #13

I just put discoverer at3 tires on my f 350 and I love them
Old 05-20-2015, 08:50 PM   #14

I just replaced a set of cooper at 3's on my 2000 dually. I did not like their wear characteristics and did not feel they were as stable as other at tires I have used in the past. I have Firestone ATs now and they are better. I have also run Toyo at and at 2's with great success.

I know this is about the tires, but have you put any thought into the effects the tire will have on your towing? Are you correcting the speedo? Your shifting will also be off (with an auto) and you won't be able to brake quite as well. Just some thoughts. I don't mean to offend.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:55 AM   #15

I just put Firestone Transforce tires on my 2500HD and like them a lot. It came with Bridgestones, which wore out in about 35K miles. I replaced them with another set, and at 70K, they were in need of replacement again. So I went with the Firestones this time. So far, so good.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
One thing you may not be considering is that putting on the taller tires will have the same effect as a higher gear ratio. I know that one size doesn't sound like much, but it will be enough of a difference to notice. Your truck will have to work harder to pull the trailer.

I don't recommend it.
Understood... Being a V10 I dont suspect that its going to make a huge differance. The 5th it will be towing (about 6-8 times each summer at most) is just about 12k gross. Being its a shared truck between my wife and I and my folks, they are the ones using it for towing the 5th wheel. He was towing it with a 7.3 cc sb, but since we were killing that truck by not driving it, we down graded to a gasser. He's going to have to learn that the new truck wont handle the job nearly as well as the diesel, which is o.k. by me. He would tend to let the rig get away from him with the diesel, and before you knew it, he was running 70+ down the freeway. When we convoy, I usually try to keep it 60-65 max. The truck on a good year will get 5000 miles on it. those miles are working miles though. If its not towing, its plowing snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
I know this is about the tires, but have you put any thought into the effects the tire will have on your towing? Are you correcting the speedo? Your shifting will also be off (with an auto) and you won't be able to brake quite as well. Just some thoughts. I don't mean to offend.
pretty much the same as above, but according to my TOMTOM, the speedo is about 3-4 mph slow now. So by upgrading the tire size, that should put me real close to dead on.

I havent made the purchase yet, but talking with the wife last night, I decided that i am going to go with the KO2 BFG. It will be load range E and white letter. I am just hoping that the pattern hasnt changed enough to cause traction issues while plowing. I know the origanals work very well in the snow, so hopefully these will to. Many of my clients live in the dunes on Lake Michigan. At 4 in the morning, its hard to call a friend if I get stuck, and with the BFG, i have pretty much elimanated getting stuck (this past winter, not once). I have used other brand tires out there, but havent had nearly the close calls (sliding down the hills) with the BFG's as I have with other name brand tires

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote