Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Check front and rear of TT to make sure you are level.

I would raise L-brackets one more hole and re-check.
Changed about 50-60lbs for my 6,000 TT when I did this.

Move anything you can in the TT to behind the axles will help as well with tongue weight.

Doug
Thank you, Doug. We really do not have much in the TT. All of our food and supplies are behind the axles. The front storage compartments are very small due to the Murphy bed, so they do not hold much. I suppose I could move things from the TV bed to the TT rear bathroom. I will see if I can get a pic of the WDH hooked up uploaded. We are souped in the rain from the tropical storm right now. Maybe tomorrow I can get it. I will set things up and check the TT level, too. I think my 10K Equalizer is designed for 1,000 on the tongue, so I am getting close there also. The TV's tongue capacity is probably in that same range (900-1000lbs.).
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, starting to rain here in Cincinnati at 7pm. Will rain through tomorrow night.

How did you rig tow after the last adjustment?

Your getting pretty close to being optimized.

I couldn't tell a great deal of difference in my last adjustment, but I like knowing the numbers are optimized. Otherwise, every time I experience a good gust of wind off one side or the other, I think maybe I could be better lol.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

FeatherFam,

Your weight return to the front of your TV looks much better: (3,200lbs) - (2,880lbs) = 320lbs removed......, (3,200lbs - (3,120lbs) = 80lbs, which translates into a 75% weight return, and in most cases an acceptable outcome. Taking into account the CAT scale's plus/minus 40lb tolerance, I would still call it a good day.

Now, the advantage of making another WDH adjustment that results in a weight return closer to 100% is: Addresses the CAT "plus" 40lb tolerance and/or any incremental added cargo weight....., your call.

Ideally a 100% "weight return" is desirable, but realistically it's difficult to achieve 100% weight return "consistently". Some WDH and some Vehicle manufactures recommend at least a 50% "front fender height" return, but fender height % return doesn't always reflect the same % in weight return....., that's why your CAT scale results are so important.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #24

Welcome Your Help

How about if I make the following load adjustments:

1. Put my tools (25-30lbs) and the grill (30lbs), which are currently in TV bed, in TT behind the axles = 55-60lbs.

2. Fill 5 gallons of water in black and gray tanks which are behind the axles = (80 lbs +/-)

How would this impact my tongue weight?

Would this "leverage" change cause more weight to be distributed to the TV front axle (which I need)?

What do you think? Thank You!
Martin
Old 06-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Moving tools and grill:
I am just guessing, but I would think the rear axle weight would go down by 50-60 lbs.
I would think WDH hitch is going to move X numbers of lbs to the front at current setting.
The tongue will probably be more affected by moving the 50-60lbs to the rear of the TT axles.
Your tongue weight might reduce by 25-50 lbs.

Filling tanks might give you some sway feeling. Not sure if 10 gals is enough to do that or not. Easy enough to try each step by step and see what effects you get. If you get increased sway, you can simply dump water and remove that option.

I like to test independent variables :-)

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 06-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Martin,

IMO leave the TV bed cargo as-is (or remove it altogether)...., and adding 80lbs of fluid won't reflect any tongue weight reduction of value because the 15% tongue weight of the 80lbs will almost wipe out any tongue weight reduction due as a result of the 80lb leveraging.

As I mentioned in my prior post, IMO your basically good-to-go "as-is".

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #27

Just to add my .02 worth, I have the same hitch (Equalizer 10K) and a recent trip to the CAT scale revealed my tongue weight as 920lbs for a gross trailer weight of 6700lbs. I am running 7 washers in the hitch head and the max allowed is 8. I set up my hitch based on fender measurements and how it felt while towing.

My front axle sits at exactly 3700lbs unhitched (plus or minus CAT scale tolerances) and after hitching on with the WDH engaged my front axle measured 3700lbs spot on. I was quite shocked in a good way.

Since your tongue weight is a bit less than mine and you have the same hitch, you shouldn't be at max 8 washers and still not hitting 100% front axle load return. Like others have said, you pretty much are good to go since you're so close but if you're meticulous like myself and many others are, you can keep tweaking things to get closer.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Just to add my .02 worth, I have the same hitch (Equalizer 10K) and a recent trip to the CAT scale revealed my tongue weight as 920lbs for a gross trailer weight of 6700lbs. I am running 7 washers in the hitch head and the max allowed is 8. I set up my hitch based on fender measurements and how it felt while towing.

My front axle sits at exactly 3700lbs unhitched (plus or minus CAT scale tolerances) and after hitching on with the WDH engaged my front axle measured 3700lbs spot on. I was quite shocked in a good way.

Since your tongue weight is a bit less than mine and you have the same hitch, you shouldn't be at max 8 washers and still not hitting 100% front axle load return. Like others have said, you pretty much are good to go since you're so close but if you're meticulous like myself and many others are, you can keep tweaking things to get closer.
That's interesting. I thought that the folks at Progress Manufacturing told me not to exceed 6 washers. I will double check that. It may be that a washer or two would get me a little closer to optimum. We are sitting pretty level (the TT). The Equalizer bars are parallel to the ground, nearly level. The TV and TT handled well on the trip home, no sway to speak of only a little "chucking."

I will call Progress to verify. Thank You!
Old 06-26-2017, 07:28 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

The ecperience on the road is the final tedt. Sounds like you are good. Any minor adjustments from here will be academic. Great job thanks for posting through adjustment progresdion. Doug
Old 06-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
That's interesting. I thought that the folks at Progress Manufacturing told me not to exceed 6 washers. I will double check that. It may be that a washer or two would get me a little closer to optimum. We are sitting pretty level (the TT). The Equalizer bars are parallel to the ground, nearly level. The TV and TT handled well on the trip home, no sway to speak of only a little "chucking."

I will call Progress to verify. Thank You!
The hitch comes with 6 washers I believe but it does say in the manual that you can run up to 8. I'm willing to bet a 7th washer will get you where you want to be without having to change your L bracket height.

If you end up adding a washer, make sure you get proper Grade 8 washers as softer metal ones can compress with all that force. I bought my extras at a specialty industrial fastener supply - had to buy a bag of like 30 just to get the one needed lol.