Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2021, 12:23 AM   #1

Long bed or Short bed

Well guys and gals I guess that I will put this here but I am having trouble with my 2018 3500 ram, out plan is this coming April we are planning a cross country trip to N.C from WA state.

So after talking to the wife we don't want no problem because this is not the first major problem that we had with our 2018 3500 so she gave me the go ahead to get a new truck, OH YEAH.

The problem is with all of this covid-19 problem that are going on and with the chip that is not plentiful there not a lot of short bed 3500 dodge ram out there, none I'm interesting in anyway.

Now to the question is to those who have long bed how do you like it and what is the benefit on a long bed over a short bed I never had a long bed? Thank you guys and gals for your comment.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Well guys and gals I guess that I will put this here but I am having trouble with my 2018 3500 ram, out plan is this coming April we are planning a cross country trip to N.C from WA state.

So after talking to the wife we don't want no problem because this is not the first major problem that we had with our 2018 3500 so she gave me the go ahead to get a new truck, OH YEAH.

The problem is with all of this covid-19 problem that are going on and with the chip that is not plentiful there not a lot of short bed 3500 dodge ram out there, none I'm interesting in anyway.

Now to the question is to those who have long bed how do you like it and what is the benefit on a long bed over a short bed I never had a long bed? Thank you guys and gals for your comment.
I have a 3500 '21 Laramie long bed, 8', SRW crew cab with the Non HO Cummins engine and air ride. First long bed I have ever owned. First the bad, it is long!! plan your turns, lol. It takes more real estate to make a turn compared to the short bed. That's it for the bad in my opinion. First advantage of having one is payload, as it has a significant increase over the short bed. Our Laramie is well equipped and I still have just shy of 4K payload, 3963 to be exact. Next, you can have any hitch you want in any configuration as there are zero worries with clearances. Next, the long bed allows you to order it with the 50 Gallon fuel tank, yes!! A significant increase in driving range for planning and fueling stops. I am getting 18.5-19 MPG in a combination city/country driving, as we live 15 miles out of town. On the highway, and not pulling , I am getting 21 MPG, and that is with a new engine with 5500 miles. Pulling our Pinnacle I am getting 11.3 MPG . I ordered it with the big 12" screen in the dash, and it is very handy as well. I am very pleased with it, have had multiple Ford F-250's over the years, and 2 Ram 1500's. The last Ram, a '20 Laramie with the 5.7 Hemi got worse fuel mileage than this monster I now have. Hope this helps.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:29 AM   #3

Different level of truck obviously but I really like my 6.5' bed over the 5.5' bed. The only negative is maneuverability in parking lots but we're already driving pickups, what's a little extra planning. Years ago I drove a standard can with the long bed and really got use the what felt like unlimited hauling space. I will consider the 8' with a Crew Cab on my next truck.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:49 AM   #4

Lol, 6.5 is a short bed. the 8' is the long bed. Never saw the use for those ultra short pickups. And this new ones redefines the definition of long turning radius.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:03 AM   #5

As I mentioned different level truck. I'm glad I was able to provide a laugh. I look at those smaller trucks like hammers. My framing hammer doesn't get much use anymore. I just don't need the heft. I match the tool to the job.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
As I mentioned different level truck. I'm glad I was able to provide a laugh. But hey insulting folks on a message board probably makes you feel good.
Oh come on!! I was laughing at myself, not you, and no, I do not get off on insulting anyone online. Have never done that. I was raised better, and if I wanted to insult someone, I would do it to their face and not hide behind an online board. My last 4 trucks have been "short" 6.5 beds, heck my dealer calls them short beds, and why I chuckled at your post. Please accept my apologies if I offended you as that was never intended.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:33 AM   #7

I would strongly consider getting a short bed truck. There are plenty of hitch options out there and many fifth wheels already come prepared with Max turn corners. The resale in the short bed is higher where we live. The long bed definitely has its advantages when towing, but I don't think they out weigh the advantages when not towing.

At least for the Ford, the short bed Congress with a 34g fuel tank, I'm not sure the size on the Dodge?
Old 11-27-2021, 07:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Oh come on!! I was laughing at myself, not you, and no, I do not get off on insulting anyone online. Have never done that. I was raised better, and if I wanted to insult someone, I would do it to their face and not hide behind an online board. My last 4 trucks have been "short" 6.5 beds, heck my dealer calls them short beds, and why I chuckled at your post. Please accept my apologies if I offended you as that was never intended.
👍 I forgot it's coffee first then post. Sorry.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
👍 I forgot it's coffee first then post. Sorry.
Thank You, perhaps my post was a bit murky as well, glad we are ok.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #10

Regardless if it's a Dodge, Ford or Gm, a long bed rides better than a standard/short bed. My Silverado 3500 crew long bed rides as good as my Yukon xl. I will say the Dodge has come a long way in the ride department on their trucks. My 99 Dodge quad cab long bed rides like a lumber wagon. I think Dodge nailed it with that 50gal fuel tank! I wish the others would follow suit but I'm sure they wont with all this EV nonsense coming sooner than we expect. As far as the short/standard bed vs long bed,.. the truck is already long so what's another 1.5-2' in length? Reminds me of the controversy of people installing a 30A plug at their home vs installing a 50A. The cost difference is VERY minimal and eventually you will end up using the 50A. So why not? Like others have posted, long bed will give you more payload and towing capacity, and clearance issues are not an issue.
This is my take on it, they are TRUCKS. They are big, and meant to do work and pull. If you want something that turns tight, fits into parking spaces downtown or at your local grocery store, etc.. buy a roller skate Prius or minivan.
To each his own I guess, but my $.02, go big or go home. Lol!
Old 11-27-2021, 08:49 AM   #11
Site Team

What is the issue with your 2018?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Big1, you've seen my long bed and I prefer one for numerous reasons. Better ride, better looking, & more room in the bed. And if you could find a DRW you will probably get a better deal on it because DRW are not the hottest selling truck on the market today.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Regardless if it's a Dodge, Ford or Gm, a long bed rides better than a standard/short bed. My Silverado 3500 crew long bed rides as good as my Yukon xl. I will say the Dodge has come a long way in the ride department on their trucks. My 99 Dodge quad cab long bed rides like a lumber wagon. I think Dodge nailed it with that 50gal fuel tank! I wish the others would follow suit but I'm sure they wont with all this EV nonsense coming sooner than we expect. As far as the short/standard bed vs long bed,.. the truck is already long so what's another 1.5-2' in length? Reminds me of the controversy of people installing a 30A plug at their home vs installing a 50A. The cost difference is VERY minimal and eventually you will end up using the 50A. So why not? Like others have posted, long bed will give you more payload and towing capacity, and clearance issues are not an issue.
This is my take on it, they are TRUCKS. They are big, and meant to do work and pull. If you want something that turns tight, fits into parking spaces downtown or at your local grocery store, etc.. buy a roller skate Prius or minivan.
To each his own I guess, but my $.02, go big or go home. Lol!
Super Duty long bed crew cab has had a 48g fuel tank standard for a while now. I went with a SuperCab to partly mitigate the overall length with the long bed - 164" wheel base as opposed to 176" so I have the 34g tank. However, Transferflow is expected to release an aftermarket under-truck replacement fuel tank for 2017+ Super Duty gassers sometime in 2022. I don't think the size has been decided yet but it is expected to be somewhere in the 45-60g range.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Regardless if it's a Dodge, Ford or Gm, a long bed rides better than a standard/short bed. My Silverado 3500 crew long bed rides as good as my Yukon xl. I will say the Dodge has come a long way in the ride department on their trucks. My 99 Dodge quad cab long bed rides like a lumber wagon. I think Dodge nailed it with that 50gal fuel tank! I wish the others would follow suit but I'm sure they wont with all this EV nonsense coming sooner than we expect. As far as the short/standard bed vs long bed,.. the truck is already long so what's another 1.5-2' in length? Reminds me of the controversy of people installing a 30A plug at their home vs installing a 50A. The cost difference is VERY minimal and eventually you will end up using the 50A. So why not? Like others have posted, long bed will give you more payload and towing capacity, and clearance issues are not an issue. This is my take on it, they are TRUCKS. They are big, and meant to do work and pull. If you want something that turns tight, fits into parking spaces downtown or at your local grocery store, etc.. buy a roller skate Prius or minivan. To each his own I guess, but my $.02, go big or go home. Lol!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
100% What he said!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:58 AM   #15

When we got our new TV, we got an 8 foot bed, but only got a “double cab” not a crew cab. Overall length is only a few inches longer than a CC short bed. Instead of a fifth wheel we carry a golf cart, which now fits easily. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:23 PM   #16

Love the long box crew cabs. I'll get one next for sure. Every time I see a nice Super Duty with the 6.5 box, I think maybe I could go for that and be happy, but then I see a nice Super Duty with the 8' box and it becomes so apparently clear, like being spoken to by God Himself, that the Crew Cab Long Box is the answer.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #17

I used to have short beds until 2012 when I got a CC LB Ram 2500. Two trucks later and I'm in a 2019 Ram 3500 CC LB. While it does create a few issues like parking lot parking and maneuvering in real tight BLM type CG's I find the LB gives me a nice ride and I get an extra 1.5' of length for more space to store stuff. Right now I have a Highway Products box in the bed which is huge compared to the standard tool type boxes.
On my 2012 CC LB I didn't have the box so without it I had tons of room in front of the hitch for all kinds of stuff. The other nice thing about a LB/5er combo is there's no need to spend $$$$ on a slider. Less weight to remove if needed as well.
When not towing I leave my big Hwy box in and can still haul 8' ply with the tailgate down.
YMMV
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post

I'm glad you ask and I know other are wondering also.The first problem I was having was it wouldn't go in 6th gear it would sound like it wanted to go into 6th gear but wouldn't so they had to replace I think the cutch plate or something like that but you guy would know, but it was under warranty.

So with only 43,000 miles on it I was hearing some kind of whining noise so I made an appointment to take it in so first they said it was the power steering pump well that seem to stop it when driving but when braking they was still hearing the noise but a little worse.

They call me back and said that it was the Hydro Booster and that they have to replace it but it would cost a little over $700 dollars, now at this time I was saying this is crazy I only have 43,000 miles on it but I didn't have too many option but to go ahead and replace the part.

So when I last talk to service that they was going to get the part but come to find out that the part was on backorder but they might can get the part from another dealer or another part store. Wow, so needless to say I am out done now that I have to pay for a part that it might work or not for the time I get it back.

Service told me also that since it have low miles on it that they might can get the manufacturer to warranty the part that I might not have to pay for the part and that they will call me Monday. So now I can't trust it going cross country now, it might be okay but the wife and I said that it's the hand writing on the wall so what's next, what could happen when we do tow our 37' 5th wheel across country.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:15 PM   #19

Thank you guys for your comments.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:48 PM   #20

This is my first long bed and I ask myself all time why I didn’t get one sooner, I love all the room in the bed when loading up for a trip, I haven’t noticed any difference driving around town or parking, but I always have parked out in BFE anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
E704B2D4-9FA0-4F03-B2FD-014C9EB3144F.jpg  

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote