Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Site Team

Lost my gas tank strap!

Was looking at my truck from a distance and something did not look right underneath. When I got up close and knelt down to my horror my gas tank was hanging only by the rear strap. The front strap had rusted out where it bolts to the frame. The tank was way out of level, leaning to the front. I do not know how long it was hanging this way because you could not see it when standing near the truck. The holes in the bed drain right on top of this strap, the rear one was in good shape. I ordered a set of straps from Amazon and replaced it today. As shown in this pic of my hitch I replaced last year, the corrosive effects of salt water can be devastating on steel.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #2

Salt is a killer - my TV is from out east where salt is used throughout the winter - here in the west-coast whenever I take the Envoy in for servicing they comment how they can tell it's from out east: the truck is in mint condition, except for all the rust underneath!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #3

I'm sure glad we don't have those issues down here. Good catch on your part. A lot of folks would have never seen it and really been in a pickle.
3Pillons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #4

Crabman, had the same thing happen a few years ago with my 1987 Chevy. the only way I knew the gas tank strap had broken was the leaking gas from the puncture when the tank was bouncing around. the salt also did the truck in when the lower "A" arm broke while driving it

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:22 AM   #5

I replaced both straps on my '95 Dodge Ram a couple of years ago when I discovered my gas tank hanging from the rear strap at work one day. Fortunately the tank was nearly empty so there wasn't a terrific amount of strain on the rear strap. I fastened it up with some plumbers pipe strapping and called my Brother in Law who works at a salvage yard. He hooked me up with a set in nearly new condition.

Recently I was backing the Ram into my driveway when I heard a loud metallic BAM!! I got out, crawled underneath and found the rear leaf spring shackle on the drivers side had broken through the middle due to being paper thin from good old Michigan salt. Once again my BIL came through and got me a good used one. I soaked the bolts down with KROIL daily for 2-3 weeks before attempting to remove the bolts. They came right out-that KROIL is a miracle product and I continue to be amazed at it's abilities.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #6

Ahhh, several more reasons to spend the winters in the Southwest.:hihi:
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Site Team

This was not the result of road salt, but rather salt water draining down from the bed from hauling seafood products. Still would not happen in the Southwest though!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote