Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2018, 06:21 AM   #1

Loud noise from tongue and wdh

So I noticed a noise when I would turn in the campground getting to my spot. When I unhooked the trailer my ball is all torn up. It was metal on metal making the screeching sound. Did I do something wrong when hooking up my wdh? I did the same process as before, so I’m a bit puzzled.
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:28 AM   #2

When you say torn up, do mean scratched up or broken apart? WDH's can make a nice racket while turning and maneuvering. Sounds like the hitch is being torn off but it's actually normal. There are people here that prefer to grease the ball and hitch parts, I do not. And I've never had a problem with it. Yes, it turns heads in the CG but it's a normal thing. Now, if you have excessive damage, then it's time to investigate why.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:44 AM   #3

I had a situation years ago, with another unit, where the ball and coupler tongue over-heated. The ball metal had "melted" to the point that it left shavings adhering to the top inside of the tongue. I had to gently pry the metal shavings out of the tongue and replace the ball. There was still plenty of ball left; it "looked" decent, but I replaced it for posterity. You definitely do not want a sliver of doubt with your running gear. On a subsequent trip, one of the Equalizer sockets cracked (nearly in half). It was torqued exactly to Progress Mfg. specifications. In both cases I had stopped using lube.

Therefore, I went back to using the bearing grease that I keep in the TT. Our Equalizer will squeal and screech like crazy if I do not keep it lubed. I remove the bar sockets to clean, grease, and retorque them after two-three trips. It is always good practice periodically to pull wear parts for inspection. I had no indication that the WDH socket had cracked until I got home and pulled the hitch for storage. As you can imagine, this was quite unnerving. We were on a 1,500 mile trip; I do not know when it occurred. I am just grateful that we made it home safe. It sealed my resolve to clean, grease, verify torque, and inspect the gear every time out.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:52 AM   #4

Torn up meaning top of ball has grooves and metal shavings. Also the black powder coating from the new tongue.
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #5

You must've gotten some debris in the hitch. Clean and grease it, replace the ball if it's actually damaged. I always clean and grease my moving hitch parts. Adding bracket jackets (if you have an Equalizer or E2) will quiet the noises that you can't fix with lubrication.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlb33 View Post
Torn up meaning top of ball has grooves and metal shavings. Also the black powder coating from the new tongue.
Yes. This is what my ball did as well. I actually had to scrape the shavings out; they were pressed and heated into a state of adherence up in the tongue. If you do nothing, my thoughts are that it will only progress like mine did or worse. I am not a physicist or engineer, but I am pretty sure that this situation is a result of excessive heat generated by friction. If it were me, I would clean out the tongue and lube it with bearing grease. I would replace the ball and lube the new ball when ready for use. In between uses, I keep them covered. When I am ready for load and trip, I clean them and apply fresh lube.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote