Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2016, 11:32 PM   #1

Loud squeaky hitch

Tonight my hitch (recurve r3) started being really noisy when turning. Is that something I just need to get used to? This is my first travel trailer so I am totally green to all this.
Claytonbwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:42 PM   #2

I spray a little grease on the ball. Metal on metal will always squeal otherwise.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:53 AM   #3

x2 for grease on the ball, and if you have a sway bar that thing will squeal and groan like crazy when you turn. I'm on my second trailer and still grimace when the swaybar pops and groans like it's tearing something loose ��
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
x2 for grease on the ball, and if you have a sway bar that thing will squeal and groan like crazy when you turn. I'm on my second trailer and still grimace when the swaybar pops and groans like it's tearing something loose ��
Thanks Screwby, I am a newbie and those popping and groaning noises really freaked me out, good to know it's normal!
Old 06-26-2016, 04:38 AM   #5

In my case it is the friction sway bar that generates all the noise. It is because the bar does not move smoothly. It binds, sticks and jumps making it sound like something is tearing itself apart. The friction has been carefully adjusted to supply only the force to suppress the sway. Reducing friction will reduce noise but then you lose the effectiveness of the sway control.

Has anyone found a remedy to make these bars work smoothly? I have tried sand papering the brake pads but that helps very little.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
In my case it is the friction sway bar that generates all the noise. It is because the bar does not move smoothly. It binds, sticks and jumps making it sound like something is tearing itself apart. The friction has been carefully adjusted to supply only the force to suppress the sway. Reducing friction will reduce noise but then you lose the effectiveness of the sway control.

Has anyone found a remedy to make these bars work smoothly? I have tried sand papering the brake pads but that helps very little.
I was always told they would quiet down with use but I've never had that be the case. My first friction sway bar came with the advise from the dealer "If it sounds awful then it's working". I've heeded that advise ever since. I still remove mine when backing up because the manual said to and the noise distracts me when I'm focusing on not hitting things. I know lots of people don't but when I'm listening and watching for any sign of trouble while backing into a small spot I don't need that grinding, popping sound lol
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Old 06-26-2016, 07:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharasym View Post
Thanks Screwby, I am a newbie and those popping and groaning noises really freaked me out, good to know it's normal!
I think we're just not programmed to ignore something that sounds like it's about to change our lives forever!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonbwn View Post
Tonight my hitch (recurve r3) started being really noisy when turning. Is that something I just need to get used to? This is my first travel trailer so I am totally green to all this.
Claytonbwn,

Welcome to JOF

The ReCurve WDH (Eaz-Lift) is a relatively new designed WDH with integrated sway control and has some specific lube points, I would refer to the installation instructions (or contact the manufacture).

I believe there is one zerk fitting for the pivot mechanism...., but I'm not familiar enough with this WDH if Eaz-Lift recommends lubing the round spring bars where they are inserted into the "top" of the ball mount (some WDH manufactures do recommend round bar lubrication, but the bars are inserted into the "bottom" of the ball mount). Yes, a little lube over the hitch ball is a good start.

For those that haven't seen this new type of integrated sway control WDH, check out the following video:

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #9

Well just look at that fancy bit of engineering....I'll just be over here with my old school, noisy, friction sway bar making heads turn at the campground
Old 06-26-2016, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Well just look at that fancy bit of engineering....I'll just be over here with my old school, noisy, friction sway bar making heads turn at the campground
Amen.
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #11

Cool Hitch

Quote:
I was always told they would quiet down with use but I've never had that be the case. My first friction sway bar came with the advise from the dealer "If it sounds awful then it's working". I've heeded that advise ever since. I still remove mine when backing up because the manual said to and the noise distracts me when I'm focusing on not hitting things. I know lots of people don't but when I'm listening and watching for any sign of trouble while backing into a small spot I don't need that grinding, popping sound lol
I remove my friction control when backing up because the manual said you could damage it by backing up with it on, I guess if over extended or under extended too far. Grease the hitch ball or fifth wheel grease it. Metal on metal needs lube.

My load leveling hitch is not noisy and with the sway control it works wonders. I can pass the big rigs or they can pass me and no sway, without it sways.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #12

I guess I've been lucky, never had sway control and never once felt I needed it. In wind, passing Trucks ect, never felt the TT sway. I do spray a light coat of lithium grease in the receiver before hooking up, never had any squealing either. Living a blessed life Hearing the squealing of the ball or the sway control only happens at midnight when the loon next to me who lives two hours away, finally shows up and jars the whole campground awake. Wishing I could do more than spray his ball with grease at that point

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #13

I usually put axel grease on ball and weight bars, anyone else use the recurve i got a old school 10k 1200bar hitch, works ok but was thinking about upgrading to a better system.