Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #1

LT tires?

I'm reading a lots about LT tires could or will help in towing.....REASON BEING, there lighter taken weight off TV, truck handle better because of being smaller or lighter.. My Goodyear have only 13,000 just trying to understand LT meaning. (It just seems to me a bigger foot is more stable than a narrower base)
Goldenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #2

LT tires on the tow vehicle help because the sidewalls are stiffer. It helps with towing because there is less sidewall flex which helps with resisting sway. Less sidewall flex also means that the tires run cooler.

I believe people go to LT tires on the trailer help because of the load carrying ability as compared to ST tires. Also, there are quality manufacturers of LT tires and the quality of some ST tire brands is questionable.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
LT tires on the tow vehicle help because the sidewalls are stiffer. It helps with towing because there is less sidewall flex which helps with resisting sway. Less sidewall flex also means that the tires run cooler.
X2

I actually wanted to try to experience this on my F150 without buying tires so based on another post what I did on 1 camping trip was air my rear tires all the way up to a few lbs less than the max pressure on the tire, which also helps eliminate sidewall flex (but may not be great for other reasons) and man, what a difference.

I did end up upgrading to LT Tires (just happened to be on a different truck as well) and the side to side motion is just not there now.

This image sort of shows how the sidewalls flex and may be helpful. I think the trailer as its pushed side to side by wind or passing trucks can actually move the rear of the TV around by moving the hubs inside the tire, while the tire essentially stays going "straight"

http://http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss188/Brokenspirit90/Tire%20Difference/SideForce_zps594a10d1.jpg

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenbear View Post
I'm reading a lots about LT tires could or will help in towing.....REASON BEING, there lighter taken weight off TV, truck handle better because of being smaller or lighter.. My Goodyear have only 13,000 just trying to understand LT meaning. (It just seems to me a bigger foot is more stable than a narrower base)
Goodyear Wrangler SRA's came with my truck from the factory and I did not like their stability even unloaded. I towed my 3000 lb trailer with them and they did ok, but not stellar. When new tire time came around I went with Michelin P rated LTX ms2's and they were significantly better and they did a very good job with my current trailer. 2 years ago I upgraded to the same tire in LT and they are excellent for towing. They do ride slightly rougher while unloaded but it is an acceptable trade off for rock solid towing. LT tires are actually heavier, but not appreciably so and will be the same size foot but will have less sidewall flex. Think high-top basketball shoes for your truck
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
X2

I actually wanted to try to experience this on my F150 without buying tires so based on another post what I did on 1 camping trip was air my rear tires all the way up to a few lbs less than the max pressure on the tire, which also helps eliminate sidewall flex (but may not be great for other reasons) and man, what a difference. ...snip
Thanks for posting this.
Inflating the tires on both the tow vehicle and trailer to the maximum shown on the sidewall is the first thing I suggest to anyone with a sway issue: It's safe, easy, cheap, and almost always makes towing better. And if it doesn't help, it is easy to 'undo'.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 03-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #6

Here is a really good discussion about LT and ST tires. Lots of information! https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/1...s-vs-lt-tires/

BTW, I have also found that inflating my TV tires to the max helps with sway.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #7

What is the process for inflating your TV tires to near their max PSI when they are 'cold'? Have some of you determined the increase in pressure after driving a certain distance and factored that in?
https://goo.gl/photos/sQzc7u2x4QYHzxir7
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeum View Post
What is the process for inflating your TV tires to near their max PSI when they are 'cold'? Have some of you determined the increase in pressure after driving a certain distance and factored that in?
The tire manufacturers know pressures increase when warm and THEY factor that into their tires. ALL manufacturers I've ever seen say to inflate your tires when they are COLD.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeum View Post
I believe "cold" is defined as not having been driven on for at least 3 hours. I also try to measure mine (and top them off) when they're in the shade as direct sunlight can have a significant affect on temperature.

Once they're "cool", simply inflate to the max pressure listed on the sidewall.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I believe "cold" is defined as not having been driven on for at least 3 hours. I also try to measure mine (and top them off) when they're in the shade as direct sunlight can have a significant affect on temperature.

Once they're "cool", simply inflate to the max pressure listed on the sidewall.
I wish I had the problem right now of having to wait 3 hours after driving for my tires to achieve "cold" to get an accurate tire pressure reading ! During our summer 3 hours is what is recommended but I have not seen what the tires experts recommend for wait time when the temperature is below 0 degrees F.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
I wish I had the problem right now of having to wait 3 hours after driving for my tires to achieve "cold" to get an accurate tire pressure reading ! During our summer 3 hours is what is recommended but I have not seen what the tires experts recommend for wait time when the temperature is below 0 degrees F.
Shoot! You guys probably need to put a hair drier on it for a while! Warm it back up to a "reasonable" temperature!

Down here, we melt things with the sun in August. If my tires are sitting in direct sunlight in August, I can't touch them. I'll usually measure them first thing in the morning, after they've had a chance to cool down and before they've had a chance to heat up too much. Next best thing is to keep them in the shade as much as possible by extending the awning. The way my trailer sits in the driveway, in the afternoon I can keep all tires out of the sun for about 3-4 hours if I have the awning out. That's actually my favorite time/method to measure and top off.

My goal is to get them at a decent "ambient" cold temp when I measure and top off. I want them to be as close to the measured outside air temperature as I can get without "artificial" heating.

It's really not as crazy as it sounds, and I don't really put that much effort into it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote