Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #1

Mag-Hytec/Extra Cooling

I'm considering purchasing the Mag-Hytec Transmission Pan and Rear Diff cover. Before I pull the plug, I wanted to see if any of ya'll have added anything like this to your TV's? Did it help with cooling or no difference from the factory original equipment? I'm only considering, as I'll probably hit 25k miles this year and would like to do the fluids in the tranny and rear diff. Just trying to see if the money spent is a good investment or not? Thanks, as always!

Mag-Hytec
Old 02-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #2

Mag Tec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I'm considering purchasing the Mag-Hytec Transmission Pan and Rear Diff cover. Before I pull the plug, I wanted to see if any of ya'll have added anything like this to your TV's? Did it help with cooling or no difference from the factory original equipment? I'm only considering, as I'll probably hit 25k miles this year and would like to do the fluids in the tranny and rear diff. Just trying to see if the money spent is a good investment or not? Thanks, as always!

Mag-Hytec
My buddy switched rear diff cover's on his 2006 Ram 3500 and MOPAR wants synthetic gear oil, it needs 8 quarts yearly expensive.I bought my Ram 3500 new in 2006 kept regular cover no problems.Have to admit the Mag Tecs do look cool! Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
OK.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Have to admit the Mag Tecs do look cool! Happy Trails
I thought they looked cool too! But not spending the money for coolness!
Old 02-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #4

I had the trans pan and both front and rear diff covers on my 01 ram. I did it for the additional capacity which in turn I hoped for cooler temps as well as ease of access to fluids/maintenance. I cannot say how much the temps dropped with the diff covers as I had not measured them previously but they held a few extra pints. It was easy peasy to check the condition of the oil via their dipstick which is also magnetized so I got a general indication of wear. You can easily change the oil without removing the cover but if you do the reusable rubber oring sure was nice as you did not have to scrape gasket material or silicone off. While the trans pan the main function was the same more capacity thereby hoping to run a bit cooler and the drain plug making it an easy no mess job to change fluid and filters. Cool looking yes, functional yes would I buy again probably if for no other reason than the drain plugs.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:08 PM   #5

I looked at doing this for my 06 f350. There was a lot of discussion about it on the truck forums I frequent. The consensus was basically those pans are for looks and ease of fluid change. They don't help cool the fluid any. More fluid capability only means it takes longer for the fluid to heat up. Also longer to cool down. I don't know if it was scientifically proven one way or another but after thinking about it for a while, I came to the same conclusion...spend my money on a different "upgrade" [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #6

Mag-Hytec/Extra Cooling

x2 pm what Magnolia Tom said: Truck forums found that they look cool, but don't cool.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #7

Thanks guys! A co-worker recommended this add on to me today, but had no info to back it up. I'm gonna save my money and put it in the 5er instead!