Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #11

I purchased Cooper Discoverer tires (70k warranty) in June this year. I use them for everyday driving and towing. Agree they are a quieter tire and softer ride. Before these tires I had Firestone Destination. Comparing these two tires IMO I prefer the Firestone for towing the TT. The firestone gave a stiffer ride and less bouncing over rough roads. Both set of tires load range E. Time will tell as far as durability with Coopers.

rolling condo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #12

When buying tires, always check the stamped code for date of manufacture. They will tell you the week and year in which they were made. This is really important on motorhomes, campers and tow vehicles were age will get you before the treadwear does.

I once saw some tires at a well known club type store that were 4 years old on the floor for the next unsuspecting buyer to pick up.

When I bought my Uniroyals for my tow vehicle I told the dealer I wanted ones made in 2011. I checked them and he did as I asked. My tow vehicle isn't used as a daily driver so they will age out before they wear out.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Wagon View Post
When buying tires, always check the stamped code for date of manufacture. They will tell you the week and year in which they were made. This is really important on motorhomes, campers and tow vehicles were age will get you before the treadwear does.
Excellent point - another idea is to replace the rubber valve stems with chrome valve stems.
rolling condo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #14

Thanks for the link David.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #15
Site Team

After my 1970 SS396 that came with Firestone Wide Oval's, I have never even considered another Firestone tire for any vehicle I have owned. Today, I have Firestone Transforce AT's on my TV and love them. I did a lot of research and ended up going with Firestone. Concerned about past problems with Firestone light truck tires, my salesman put it this way, Firestone will not run the risk of having another costly episode of truck tire tread separation, so they built a good tire that will stay together....they were a little pricey but overall I think they will be worth it. No problems so far, but I am still wondering why the old wide oval tires only wore out on the rear and not the front of the '70 SS.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #16

Well after reading the provided link it seems that the tires I was most unhappy with seem to have the most positive reports. Now I have to rethink everything.

DG, in the 70's I couldn't keep tires on the rear of anything. I have modified my driving habits however. I guess that 32 years of teaching Driver Education must have modified me.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
After my 1970 SS396 that came with Firestone Wide Oval's, I have never even considered another Firestone tire for any vehicle I have owned. Today, I have Firestone Transforce AT's on my TV and love them. I did a lot of research and ended up going with Firestone. Concerned about past problems with Firestone light truck tires, my salesman put it this way, Firestone will not run the risk of having another costly episode of truck tire tread separation, so they built a good tire that will stay together....they were a little pricey but overall I think they will be worth it. No problems so far, but I am still wondering why the old wide oval tires only wore out on the rear and not the front of the '70 SS.

I don't think it was defective tires. Maybe something to do with the #s 396 and youthful exuberance
Old 07-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Walking around the campground yesterday I glanced at a lot of TV tires and found that most brands were represented (not surprised).

Later in the day I thought that a campground would be a great place to take a "tire survey", being representative of conditions associated to towing. I'm here for a couple of more days, I just might grab a pad of paper and ask a few campers how they like their TV tires. Could be interesting.

I'll skip the guy next to me, I already got into his case about someone tossing his dog's fresh crap under my TT. The paper towel that is was wrapped in had the same floral pattern as the roll on his picnic table...., and yes, I tossed it back into his campsite during our little "chat".

Sorry, back on topic.............., I'll report back if I get around to my little tire survey.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #19

Several weeks ago, in a CG in Port Huron Mich, I did some looking at what tires people had on their trucks. Did not write anything down or ask anyone their opinions, but found the most common was Goodyear Wrangler which are stock from the factory. Next in line was Michelin LTX, followed by Firestone Transforce. There were a few other one-offs which I can't remember. I will be curious what you find with your more detailed survey.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
Several weeks ago, in a CG in Port Huron Mich.......snip
Lakeport State Park?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote