Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #1

May be looking at a new TV

Although we're having our 2010 Eagle 351RLSA delivered and set up at our seasonal site I'm starting to consider buying a truck capable of pulling it.

I have never owned any HD model truck and I'm so sticker shocked at the new trucks, especially once you "build" a tow package!

I've started considering buying used but have no idea where to start. I see 2011 models with what I would consider insanely high mileage but the lower mileage trucks aren't exactly a great deal either. I currently have a 2011 Nissan Titan that I own outright and it's loaded with goodies so a private sale on it should get me some decent cash.

The trailer weight specs (to save you from looking them up) are:

Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 11050 / 5012.3
Payload Capacity (lbs/kgs) 3900 / 1769
GVWR (lbs/kgs) 14950 / 6781.3
Hitch Weight (lbs/kgs) 2560 / 1161.2

I'm not a Ford fan by any means and I've heard the Powerstroke diesel is the weakest of what's available out there, but it's only what I've heard here and there.

It's time to ask those that have HD trucks and actually use them as trucks what your experiences have taught you, good and bad. I also want to use the truck for general purpose, family driving and the like.

I'm ready to absorb it all, so let's hear it.
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #2

You are going to get a ton of different answers, so get ready to sift through all the posts. Most truck owners are biased toward their own brands, that being said I really like my GMC equipped with the Duramax diesel. If you do enough towing to justify the purchase of a diesel equipped vehicle (or if you are like me and just want one) you will really enjoy the ease in which it tows your Jayco, but be prepared to pay a premium for the option and also (in most places) for the fuel.

A ton of people will tell you to avoid the newer trucks because they are burdened with emissions equipment like the diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) and diesel particulate filters (DPF). Some have had problems with the operation of these mandatory systems and in theory the DPF has the ability to lower your fuel economy due to the use of fuel other can combustion in the engine. I have not had any emissions related issues to date and enjoy the advancements in horsepower and torque output, not to mention the stouter frame and larger brakes that come on the late model trucks.

I tried to keep my post pretty neutral, hope that helps. You might also consider checking out some of the forums since they are very informative. Don't forget to post some pics if you pull the trigger on a new tow vehicle, oh and good luck!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #3

I've been a GM guy all of my life, up until 2011 when I bought my Titan. I just haven't heard about, nor researched for that matter, the Dmax diesels.
For me it isn't really about towing the fifth wheel, it will be on the seasonal site for the foreseeable future. BUT, I'm one of those guys that wants/needs to be prepared and equipped to pull the trailer out if I want/need to.
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #4

I would think you need a 1 ton TV. Diesel would be best for towing but probably not the best for "family driving". I bought my TV while scouring every possible website and "for sale" publication until I found a one-owner, low mileage, well-cared-for used truck. It took several months but I got a good one. Good hunting...must be patient!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #5

I have been a GM boy for most of my life and living in the half ton world. A couple of years ago, I switched to Toyota. The Tundra had great pulling power, however it was not "fun" to drive. I just swapped it for a F150 Ecoboost. The "fun" is back, now to try towing once I get past my break-in period.

Your TT is most likely over what a half ton can handle, but figured I would offer what feedback I could.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #6

I have a Ram 3500 but I think you will find the "big three" all offer a good product. A 3/4 ton should do very well for your needs. Look at them all, drive them all and make your decision. The one you like the best will be the best truck for you. Good luck with your decision.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #7

Re: May be looking at a new TV

All of the available HD models have pros and cons. The Duramax is mated to that awesome Allison, the 6.7 powerstroke has thus far stood up as a solid performer and the Cummins... well it's a Cummins. That speaks volumes to me- but I am a little biased. I would only look to a Ford or Ram for this. Ultimately it boils down to price point and personal preference. All three domestics offer awesome HDs and are all up to the task.