Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2016, 12:56 AM   #1

Question Measured Weights and WDH adjustment with ProPride

I'm wondering how tight is too tight for my WD bars on the ProPride hitch using Strap-tek jacks.

I went to the cat scales a while back with just the truck and got the following weights (measured 9/6/2016):

Front Axle: 5240
Rear Axle: 3660

Sadly, that was with just my wife and I in the truck and no trailer to weigh, but it at least tells me what is "normal" for the front axle.

This weekend on our trip I went through the CAT scales 3 times at different WDH settings (yes, I know, I should have done one with the trailer unhooked, but it was late and I didn't have the time). also, we had additional weight in the truck vs. the first weigh, that being 2 kids (probably 300 lbs between them) and a cooler in the bed, we'll call it 50 lbs, so ~350 lbs extra in the truck, if that matters?

Anyhow:

Weight dist bars completely loose (measured 7/17):

Front Axle: 4680
Rear Axle: 5460
Trailer Axle: 7020

Weight dist. bars where I normally put them (Measured 7/15, trailer a bit lighter on the way out):

Front Axle: 4740
Rear Axle: 5460
Trailer Axle: 6920

Weight dist. bars to the point that they seem REALLY tight to me (Measured 7/17):

Front Axle: 4980
Rear Axle: 5020
Trailer Axle: 7160

So my question is this: Should I be tightening the bars until the front axle gets back to it's full ~5200 lbs? Or is a few hundred pounds light the correct answer? How much lighter is too much?

If I'm going to tighten them beyond where they are in that last measurement, I'd have to pull out the 2 foot breaker bar (I usually use an 18"). It's really that tight. Is that normal?
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #2

In explanation, the first measurement was taken in September while waiting impatiently for my trailer to get on the lot.

The second and fourth measurements were taken last night.

The third measurement (the in-between one) was taken on Friday night on our way out.

I know I should do all 3 measurements and all at once... just wondering if there's useful info to glean from all this.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:37 AM   #3

Good question. I am also using the Strapteks (just installed a couple weeks ago), but I still need to go weigh my setup. I have a very heavy tongue weight, and with the 1,400# bars, I have the Strapteks as high as they can go.

Did you measure the before/after front wheel well heights? That should also help with proper adjustment.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
Good question. I am also using the Strapteks (just installed a couple weeks ago), but I still need to go weigh my setup. I have a very heavy tongue weight, and with the 1,400# bars, I have the Strapteks as high as they can go.

Did you measure the before/after front wheel well heights? That should also help with proper adjustment.
Yes, I know the front wheel well is coming back down within an inch or less of it's original height (honestly, it doesn't move that much anyway). I haven't measured recently, but I did once upon a time.

My main interest is that I've been doing a lot of driving along the Columbia River Gorge and the wind is something to behold. The ProPride is definitely doing it's job, but with those gusts the steering can feel rather dicey at times, so I want to make sure I've got as much traction on the steer axle as possible.

From the weights I've measured, it looks like I've lost a few hundred pounds on that Axle even when the Strap-Tek is cinched up tight, and the 1400 lb WD bars look like they're angled up toward the trailer at that point. Most people's trailers I see on the road look like the WD bars are reasonably level with the road.

I'm rather inexperienced at towing large trailers, so looking for advice here.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #5

Picture of the WD bars when it's hooked up. Best photo I have of it right now. This is with it cinched up tight.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

Other than for my own curiosity, I don't worry about what my front axle weight is before and after.

I simply try to make sure my front fender wells are within a half inch either way from their unloaded position as well as actually place a level on the a frame of the trailer to try and make sure the trailer itself is either level or slightly nose down. Has worked fine for me so far.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post

I just did my measurements and my tongue weight was 1234 lbs....heavy. Little more than the brochure 960 lbs.

To the op - I think your in good shape with your wd. I agree with others on your measurements. Front fender should be at least half way back to un loaded height. If you look at your numbers you are sinificantly distributing some weight to front axle and trailer axles with your last adjustment.