Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #1

Question Mechanical vs Electronic sway control

I heard or read that the old tried and true "sway bar" sway control shouldn't be used when the TV has built-in electronic sway control as they will work against each other. What is the word from the experts on this forum. Tx Larry
Old 02-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #2

Three thoughts:
- most sway can be prevented by proper loading.
- The electronic sway control is part of the ABS system, and it doesn't activate unless it detects sway occurring.
- The electronic sway control can be easily turned off if you find it's doing something you aren't happy with.

None of that exactly answers your question, but if it was me, I'd set up the hitch like normal, and then just see how it goes. Worst case scenario, you'll get terrible mileage for little while until you decide to turn off the electronic sway control.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #3

The electronic sway control on your truck does nothing for controlling the trailer. You are still vulnerable for the "tail wagging the dog" if your camper weighs much more than the truck. I haven't read any stories on here where the trucks' sway control took over in a sway event and corrected it. Maybe that is because the control takes over so quick that the driver never really notices the sway start. Nice thing about the standard WDH without any sway control, is they are cheap. Buy one and run the with the truck's system and go from there.

Personally, towing a huge sail behind me in any weather condition, I don't want any sway to even begin so I use a ProPride hitch. Mechanically, it can not allow sway due to design.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
The electronic sway control on your truck does nothing for controlling the trailer.
I'm no expert in how these thigns work but I know for sure that's completley different to what Ford claims anyway. They use all the in-truck sway control hardware PLUS the trailer brakes and claim it takes into account the movement of the trailer to control the sway of the trailer in an emergency situation.

Here's a quote about it I found:
"The Ford Trailer Sway Control (or TSC) system..... TSC uses the AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control System (or RSC) to help keep the truck and trailer combination in control. The Roll Stability Control system has two gyroscopic sensors that measure vehicle roll and turning rates. By selectively braking and adjusting engine power the Trailer Sway Control system is able to maintain trailer control and help prevent sway, resulting in improved stability and providing greater driver confidence."
Old 02-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #5

mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #6

This is the full video, it's quite long but has more info.

It's very cool, I didn't know a trailer brake electronic sway control product existed, and it sounds outstanding.

Still not sure how the "old school" mechanical trailer sway control interacts with the truck based electronic sway control.

Anyway it's great to have options.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #7

I just realised what bothers me about that video...

No safety equipment.

If I was setting out to see if I could make a trailer break away and maybe flip my truck, I think I'd want, at the very least, a helmet...

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #8

Mechanical vs Electronic sway control

So there are 6 methods of preventing sway? 1 ton truck, property balanced load, mechanical sway control device, electronic truck sway control,independent trailer electronic sway control, and safe driver. Only need one of the 6 methods to prevent sway but best to have all 6. I personally only have 3 and so far so good.

Also if you watch the video you’ll notice sway was induced by driver. There wasn’t any sway even with little tongue weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #9

Good info, thanks.
2003 Jayco Kiwi 23B (sold)
1991 Jayco Cardinal SD 14 foot pop up. (Sold)

2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT Z71 5.3L 4WD
stevenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
So there are 6 methods of preventing sway? 1 ton truck, property balanced load, mechanical sway control device, electronic truck sway control,independent trailer electronic sway control, and safe driver. Only need one of the 6 methods to prevent sway but best to have all 6.
I actually don't think a "safe driver" can be compared to the other types of sway control. Even experienced and attentive drivers can experience catastrophic sway when other conditions are right. I personally know two different people who I would consider excellent and experienced drivers who were sent to hospital from major issues caused by sway.

It's my opinion that if your truck and trailer combination is experiencing sway, you need to fix that problem by working on load distribution first of all, and then additional electronic and mechanical aids as needed.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:10 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The main cause of sway is improper load distribution and will increase with speed.
Also wind conditions or moving trucks has an impact on sway. People who drive 100 km (60 miles) or below with their combo and the load is properly adjusted probably will never experience sway. If they could place the hitch right after the axle sway could be reduced to almost zero. Also make your hitch assembly as tight you can (means remove any play) will reduce the start of sway. Have done all the above since the 70's and never had sway.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:01 PM   #12

The worst contributors to sway are light tongue weight travel trailers with axles mounted too far forward and the proliferation of wight distribution hitches which inherently take tongue weight and place it on the steer axle and trailer axles vs. the rear axle of the tv, where said weight would reduce or eliminate sway.

The real answer is that sway control, whether electronic or mechanical, is not the ultimate solution, though both work as a band-aid. Physics 101 says sufficient tongue weight is the real solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote