Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #1

Metal Valve Stem Recommendations

Hi All,

We picked up a new 2017 Eagle HT this spring and I'm trying to get my TST 507 Flow-Through sensors installed. I've been to two different tire shops, and nobody seems to have the right kind of metal valve stems to fit my wheels.

Apparently the stems are sunken into the wheel, and the metal grommet that seats against the rubber gasket is to big for the opening. The diameter of the opening around the surface of the wheel is .650, and the needed stem is a .625.

Are there any recommendations for what my options might be to find a suitable stem? Otherwise, I need to buy all new sensors to the tune of $200.

I attached a picture of the wheel; hopefully that shows the opening.

https://imgur.com/FZy1Sah

Thanks,
Erren
Erren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
Site Team

My rims are cast aluminum and I got the short metal stems from Advance Auto Parts.

Not sure about the kole in the rim but it was just the right size.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #3

Got mine at my local auto parts store, also. Take a picture of the current stem and take it to a well stocked auto parts store.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
Site Team

Here are the 2 packs I bought that worked great. I bought 6 of them and keep the spares for future use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 05-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Dumb question, how hard are these to install, is assume a tire shop would need to do this no?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
Site Team

They have to demounted and installed by a shop unless you have all day. I did one in my yard and decided to let the tire shop install and balance them. Took 2 at a time and they charged me $10. a tire. (years ago)

It was a bargain!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 05-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #7

The tire shop will need to install unless you have access to a bead breaker to remove one side of the tire.

I recommend etrailer.com for valves stems. They do not have a large assortment. But they have what you need
Biggest Weber fan in the world.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #8

The issue isn't finding the length of valve stems, it's finding one with the compression grommet that is under .650. The stems are advertised at .625, but that is the stem, not the washer that clamps down.

norty1, you wouldn't happen to have a caliper to get a measurement of that washer for me would you?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet - marked in red; I need the width across there to be under .650 in order to fit down in the cutout on the wheel.

I checked etrailer and the like; none of the sites really show what the dimensions of the stem are, aside from the either the .453/.625 rim holes.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #9
Site Team

I'll go in the garage and look for my machinist hat and caliper.

It's 1.9cm or .748in. To much.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 05-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Here are the 2 packs I bought that worked great. I bought 6 of them and keep the spares for future use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same ones I picked up. 👍
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #11

Quote:
I'll go in the garage and look for my machinist hat and caliper.

It's 1.9cm or .748in. To much.
Thanks; the .750 is what I found on two others so far. I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible with these rims.. I'm going to call Jayco tomorrow and see if they have any recommendations.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #12

Following along as I need whatever stems you come up with!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:28 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erren View Post
Thanks; the .750 is what I found on two others so far. I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible with these rims.. I'm going to call Jayco tomorrow and see if they have any recommendations.
Also contact the rim manufacturer as another way to see if they have a reference for a valve stem with a smaller profile.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 05-18-2017, 05:10 AM   #14
Site Team

Check out this link from tire rack. Look under the article on high pressure valve stems.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=208

High-Pressure Metal Clamp-In Valves

High-pressure metal clamp-in valves can be used with virtually any wheel and are highly recommended for all track activities, as well as when vehicle speeds may exceed 130 mph. Metal clamp-in valves use a rubber grommet to seal against the wheel when their retaining nut is tightened. While metal clamp-in valve design and styling can result in retaining nuts hidden inside the wheel or visible outside, those with the retaining nut on the outside offer a practical benefit of allowing retaining nut tightness to be checked and adjusted without having to remove the tire from the wheel. Metal clamp-in valves allow a maximum operating pressure of 200 psi and are available to fit either .453" or .625" rim holes, as well as specialty applications, such as 6mm (.236") or 8mm (.315") holes. Metal clamp-in valves use a metal cap and have effective lengths ranging from flush to 2" and are offered in straight or bent configurations to fit wheels with unique shapes. Low profile and lightweight alloy clamp-in valves are also available for racing applications.
Valve Cores
Regardless of the valve type, the valve core is the fundamental sealing device and should be snugly screwed into the valve core chamber. Valve cores come in short and long lengths, with the short length being preferred for high performance applications.
Both nickel-plated and brass valve cores are available. The nickel-plated valve cores must be used in the aluminum valve stems of tire pressure monitoring sensors because using a standard brass valve core in an aluminum tire pressure sensor valve stem will experience galvanic corrosion and the brass valve core will eventually seize in the valve's aluminum barrel.
All valve cores feature a seal attached to a movable, spring-loaded pin that allows pressurized air to pass when inflating a tire, as well as air to escape when the pin is depressed to unseat the seal. While valve cores themselves can accept a working pressure of 300 psi, it is important to protect them from grit, sand and moisture. Grit and sand might prevent valve cores from sealing completely, and moisture can freeze in cold temperatures and defeat the seal.
Valve Caps
High-speed pressure loss and core contamination are several of the reasons why valve caps should always be used. In case anything disrupts the valve core's seal, the valve cap provides a backup seal that prevents air from escaping. And while using valve caps will make it take longer to check tire pressures in the pits at a racetrack, the consequence of having a tire lose pressure is much worse.
Three types of valve caps are available: plastic dome, metal dome or a metal "screwdriver" design used to tighten and loosen valve cores. The plastic dome caps are fine for normal driving and autocrossing, however they should be replaced with metal valve caps to withstand the high temperatures experienced during racetrack driving. Valve caps are knurled to make it easier to tighten or loosen them, while some metal caps feature hex head designs. Metal caps use a rubber washer or o-ring to seal the valve completely.
If the valve cap is missing, it is best to press the valve core momentarily to release a little air before checking or adding air pressure. This will allow the compressed air inside the tire to blow debris out of the valve. Avoiding moisture is more difficult to address, because it is often hard to find a consistent source of dry air. Checking or adding tire inflation pressure outside in the middle of a snowstorm is not recommended unless absolutely necessary.
Valve Extensions
Vehicles that use wheel covers may also use nylon or metal extensions that range from 1/2" to 2" in length to make it easier to check and adjust tire pressures. Because the tips of the nylon extensions are open to the elements, mud, ice and snow have been known to pack into them and allow air to escape. Additionally, if the nylon extensions are scraped against a curb, the damaged tip can depress the valve core and allow air to escape. Ideally, appropriate length tire valves, or metal extensions that are threaded to accept a valve cap should be used.
Note: Metal extensions can also be helpful when inflating wheels fitted with short or difficult to reach tire valves.
Valve Replacement
Since rubber deteriorates over time and tire valves are not expected to resist deterioration for the life of two standard tires in normal service, tire valves should be inspected and replaced if any cracking appears. As a rule of thumb, the industry recommends replacing tire valves whenever new tires are installed.
While Track & Competition DOT tires may only last several weekends on your track driven racecar, the metal clamp-in tire valves should be replaced every other year because the heat transmitted to the wheels from the brakes is significantly greater than that experienced in normal service.
Valve for Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems
Special metal clamp-in or rubber snap-in valves are also used to anchor the sensor/transmitters used by the many direct tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS). These unique metal clamp-in valves feature a threaded insert in their base to accept the bolt that attaches the sensor/transmitter to the valve.
Read Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems Servicing for more information.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 05-18-2017, 06:16 AM   #15

I have been in contact with etrailer, and just about every auto parts, and camping store in the local area, and nobody seems to stock a metal clamp-in valve that has a conical washer of less than .650. At this point, I've given up finding metal stems, and listed my TST 507 on Craigslist and the classifieds on this forum. If it sells, I plan to just buy the regular screw-on connector version. I'm looking at upgrading to 16" wheels and tires when it's time to replace these Goodyear Endurance tires it came with. I'll make sure the wheels I get at that point will be compatible.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
High-pressure metal clamp-in valves can be used with virtually any wheel and are highly recommended for all track activities, as well as when vehicle speeds may exceed 130 mph.
Metal valve stems are rated for speeds in excess of 130!
That'll spark a whole new "how fast do you tow" discussion.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #17

I found some of the high pressure snap-in valve stems at NAPA.

NAPA part # NTH 90444

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
Old 05-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #18
Site Team

There is a difference between High Pressure valve stems and Metal valve stems.

See pic in post #10
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 05-25-2017, 06:00 PM   #19

I know there is a difference in the clamp-on and snap-in styles. The clamp-in simply will not fit into the small holes in these aluminum wheels. I was just posting them as a possible solution.

One thing I can't tell is if the metal part of the snap-in style goes through to the base. I will stop by our local NAPA one of these days and check them out. The ones in my camper have a metal stem but the base portion is all rubber and they flex very easily.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:42 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
I know there is a difference in the clamp-on and snap-in styles. The clamp-in simply will not fit into the small holes in these aluminum wheels. I was just posting them as a possible solution.

One thing I can't tell is if the metal part of the snap-in style goes through to the base. I will stop by our local NAPA one of these days and check them out. The ones in my camper have a metal stem but the base portion is all rubber and they flex very easily.
The high pressure stems should be std on any camper tire or HD truck. The metals are for race cars and those with a TSPS that suggests them.
I posted a link to a race rim, high pressure clamp in valve stem, here in this thread that will fit the smaller holes.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=208
Gator roll-up bed cover