Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #21

Have you considered a powered trailer mover? I have one from www.parkit360.ca So I can park my TT beside my house. I literally have 3-4" clearance from my gutter and the same on the other side to my neighbour's fence. My TT is 8' wide
Old 04-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebKen View Post
We love our 2007 Chrysler Aspen. They only made them in 2007, 2008, and 2009 so you would have to find a used one (we bought ours last year and it only had 74,000 miles on it). Ours can tow 7500 lbs.
There the same as a Durango of those years. My wife has a 2015 and loves the third row, and storage. Truck has lots of power with the hemi, I think towing 7,000 lbs would be easy with the drivetrain it has.
Cummins-a-pullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
Have you considered a powered trailer mover? I have one from www.parkit360.ca So I can park my TT beside my house. I literally have 3-4" clearance from my gutter and the same on the other side to my neighbour's fence. My TT is 8' wide
Well, we solved one problem! We cannot thank you enough for suggesting the parkit360! I placed an order 10 minutes ago. Getting in and out of our narrow driveway should be MUCH easier!

Now we just have to decide if we want to look for another TV so we can have an easier time towing in the mountains.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated!!
BonnieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #24

What year is your Tacoma? You can get Toyota to put a supercharger on it and still honor the warranty. That would solve your other problem with less expense than a new vehicle.

TRD - Superchargers
Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
What year is your Tacoma? You can get Toyota to put a supercharger on it and still honor the warranty. That would solve your other problem with less expense than a new vehicle.

TRD - Superchargers

We have a 2015 Toyota Tacoma. Thank you! I didn't even know such an item existed. Now we have another option to research.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieL View Post
Thanks for your note
! Just checked the Ford website. F150-Mirrors out 96.8", mirrors folded in 79.9". Tough trying to get down the driveway with folded mirrors. ��
:lol, I have to fold my mirrors to back our htt into our driveway. As they rub on a house or a fence as we adjust to keep the htt in alignment. I have learned how to partially fold them in and still be able to see. MY DW directs me over the cell phones because it is hard to see.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #27

I know this sounds stupid, but have you ever thought of storing the camper somewhere else than the house? That way you could get the F150. Just throwin' that out there!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #28

I'll toss a vehicle in the hat: Chevy Colorado. Not sure what the tow ratings with that 5.3L they stuck in those (old body style)...but I know they advertise 7k towing on select models with the 4 cylinder Duramax Diesel...

2017 Jayco Octane 222
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ Z71
rwk5159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Thanks for your note
! Just checked the Ford website. F150-Mirrors out 96.8", mirrors folded in 79.9". Tough trying to get down the driveway with folded mirrors. ��
Would need to know more about your setup. How long is the driveway that is between the fence and house? You back the trailer in? I envision a standard driveway that has nothing on either side then at some point there is a fence on one side and a house in the way. If that is the case, you use the mirror to line up and all the way until the truck mirrors are coming up the the fence/house, then fold them in.

On the way out, you pull straight forward until you are past the fence/house, then pop out the mirrors. I fold mine in before going in to the garage and don't out them out until after backing out of the garage, so this seems similar.

Do you have pic of your layout? or a drawing that shows full dimensions of what you are dealing with?
Old 04-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I know this sounds stupid, but have you ever thought of storing the camper somewhere else than the house? That way you could get the F150. Just throwin' that out there!
Yes, we have, but my husband likes the convenience of loading, puttering, and doing whatever to the trailer while we have it at home. So I put up with the angst of making it up and down the driveway!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:45 AM   #31

Somebody mentioned a Durango as an option earlier. I have a 2014 Durango with factory tow package. I would caution against it. I have a TT that is <4500lbs fully loaded and it is too much tongue weight for my Durango even with WDH. I use my Tundra to tow it. I think the engine and tranny are stout enough, but the suspension cannot handle it.
There are some Durangos with factory equipped rear air suspensions that may support that type of load. However, mine did not come with that even with the factory tow package. You have to look into that closely.
gdiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
Would need to know more about your setup. How long is the driveway that is between the fence and house? You back the trailer in? I envision a standard driveway that has nothing on either side then at some point there is a fence on one side and a house in the way. If that is the case, you use the mirror to line up and all the way until the truck mirrors are coming up the the fence/house, then fold them in.

On the way out, you pull straight forward until you are past the fence/house, then pop out the mirrors. I fold mine in before going in to the garage and don't out them out until after backing out of the garage, so this seems similar.

Do you have pic of your layout? or a drawing that shows full dimensions of what you are dealing with?
Our driveway is 125 feet long. The area between our house and the neighbor's fence is 32 feet long/8 feet wide. The trailer is 7 feet wide. Yes, we can line up and move down the driveway but when we get to the fence/house bottleneck, several issues occur. The neighbor's wood panel privacy fence sags at the top into our driveway. The supports for our canopy catch on the fence slats so we have to jockey a few inches over to avoid tearing his fence down. If we jockey too many inches, then we catch the gutter drain spouts of the trailer on the siding of our house. Once we squeeze through though, the driveway opens to a lovely 3 car garage area with about 30 feet of space to make it the garage itself.

We have asked the neighbor to fix his fence; he has said yes--three years in a row! (These are the same neighbors who put up their icicle Christmas lights 4 years ago and never took them down!) So we came up with an alternative. We took the suggestion of another jayco member and ordered a powered trailer dolly. So instead of trying to jockey with our cumbersome truck, we can have more maneuverability with the dolly. Or at least that it what we hope!

So thank you for your note, and I will hopefully post a note here saying we have had success!!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #33

Quote:
Yes, we have, but my husband likes the convenience of loading, puttering, and doing whatever to the trailer while we have it at home. So I put up with the angst of making it up and down the driveway!
Gotchya!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:18 AM   #34

I'll throw a fresh one in:

Put a hitch on the garden tractor. You can then (almost) effortlessly move the trailer wherever you want. Pull the trailer onto the driveway with the little tugger (google 'switching engines'). Then hitch up the REAL tow vehicle.

Personally, I have 2" receivers on my compact FEL's I can put any trailer exactly where I want it.

Growing up, our little garden tractor had a hole for attaching a dump cart. The hole was a perfect size for the shank of a 2" ball.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I'll throw a fresh one in:

Put a hitch on the garden tractor. You can then (almost) effortlessly move the trailer wherever you want. Pull the trailer onto the driveway with the little tugger (google 'switching engines'). Then hitch up the REAL tow vehicle.

Personally, I have 2" receivers on my compact FEL's I can put any trailer exactly where I want it.

Growing up, our little garden tractor had a hole for attaching a dump cart. The hole was a perfect size for the shank of a 2" ball.
Sounds like a good choice, but alas, we have no garden tractor! We ordered a powered trailer dolly and hope that does the trick!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Sounds like a good choice, but alas, we have no garden tractor! We ordered a powered trailer dolly and hope that does the trick!
If that can get you around the house, then YEAH! Go for it.

We used to tow our 5,000#-ish 19RD with a Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab Long Bed 3.8L V6. While it was within the limits of the truck, the trailer 'bossed' the truck around.

You can see in my signature, the current TV has no issues telling the TT exactly who is in charge.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
There is somebody on this forum towing 27dsrl with Bronco. ProPride hitch, proper rear axle ratio and he is very happy.

Yeah, have seen that posted about as well and they seem happy with the propride. The OP mentions a Bronco II, which if memory serves was based on the Ranger. Bronco is more like a short wheelbase F150. Guessing its V6 vs V8 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Land Rover resale value is mostly affected by its reliability problems. I would never compare Porsche Cayenne and Land Rover. Just different cars for different needs.
It pulls 7716lbs. My 24RBS is ~6000 wet. You would be surprised how well it tows. I forget its back there sometimes. I just upgraded to a propride but have yet to take it out with the new hitch.

As a side note I took the Cayenne autocrossing last week. It held its own very well.
tigger1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #39

I can imagine the looks you get pulling into a campsite with the Cayenne and trailer.

I've always liked the Cayenne, but not sure I would use it as a tow vehicle if I had one. Not a comment on it's ability, more a comment on how I would baby it.

My brother has a Macan GTS. It is incredible. Oddly, it came with a factory hitch, which looks weird on the Macan and he has absolutely no use for it.
gdiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdiep View Post
I can imagine the looks you get pulling into a campsite with the Cayenne and trailer.

I've always liked the Cayenne, but not sure I would use it as a tow vehicle if I had one. Not a comment on it's ability, more a comment on how I would baby it.

My brother has a Macan GTS. It is incredible. Oddly, it came with a factory hitch, which looks weird on the Macan and he has absolutely no use for it.
I think this combo would turn more heads...