Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2016, 08:27 AM   #41

The F350. No contest. The crap I've seen with people towing with Explorers would settle this quickly. Again..F350.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:41 AM   #42
Site Team

Mike, good choice with the F350. When we bought our 19RD in 2012, we had a 2004 Tundra with a 4.7L V8, it pulled the Fleetwood Arcadia pop up just fine, but showed it's anemia pulling a TT, especially on the thruway heading to Lake George. LONG hills! That's when we decided to get something with more HP.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
The F350. No contest. The crap I've seen with people towing with Explorers would settle this quickly. Again..F350.
It was settled the instant I was shown the correct entry in Ford's towing guide for my Explorer.

It's real fun charging ahead when you think you have all the facts. Then find out you've got a couple of them gnorw.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:08 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Mike, good choice with the F350. When we bought our 19RD in 2012, we had a 2004 Tundra with a 4.7L V8, it pulled the Fleetwood Arcadia pop up just fine, but showed it's anemia pulling a TT, especially on the thruway heading to Lake George. LONG hills! That's when we decided to get something with more HP.
I don't know if I'd really call the F-350 a 'choice'. It's the least of several evils:
- Keep abusing SWMBO's Tacoma
- Modify and then really abuse the Explorer
- Finance $60K on a new 1/2-ton truck that I won't like
- Build my Dream Truck (same $ as a new one, but I'll like it)
- Throw a couple of $k at my chore truck to make it an overkill tow vehicle.

Once I have the cash to pull it off, (Q3-4 2017) I will be commissioning my Dream Truck.

And proud of it!
Old 09-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #45

If you think the Taco was "screaming" at 3500 rpm's, you won't like the way the F350's 5.4 sounds when it downshifts to pull the hills! Gas truck engines today are not making any useable power until you get to around 3000 rpms unless you grab an Eco-boost. I bet the taco would pull better if you locked out OD and ran in direct drive 1:1. Most autos lock the TC in 1:1 gear whether it be 3rd or 4th on a 5 or 6 speed tranny.

What gear ratio does the F350 have in it?

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I don't know if I'd really call the F-350 a 'choice'. It's the least of several evils:
- Keep abusing SWMBO's Tacoma
- Modify and then really abuse the Explorer
- Finance $60K on a new 1/2-ton truck that I won't like
- Build my Dream Truck (same $ as a new one, but I'll like it)
- Throw a couple of $k at my chore truck to make it an overkill tow vehicle.

Once I have the cash to pull it off, (Q3-4 2017) I will be commissioning my Dream Truck.
Compared to your taco... And the exploder... You won't like an f350 ... Jesus h.... I don't think I understand. Enlighten me please. Seriously. It's just the money right? You could tow the taco, the camper, and your home with the 350. Not enough? This 'dream truck' is less than 60k and can do more?? I'll buy one too... Hook me up. You can tow well over 24000 pounds with the diesel and the right package. Jayco does not make a TT you couldn't easily tow with a 350. I don't think anyone does.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Compared to your taco... And the exploder... You won't like an f350 ... Jesus h.... I don't think I understand. Enlighten me please. Seriously. It's just the money right? You could tow the taco, the camper, and your home with the 350. Not enough? This 'dream truck' is less than 60k and can do more?? I'll buy one too... Hook me up. You can tow well over 24000 pounds with the diesel and the right package. Jayco does not make a TT you couldn't easily tow with a 350. I don't think anyone does.
As far at the capabilities of my F-350; it has proven itself more than adequate for every job I have ever thrown at it.

I think you misunderstand my statement of "won't like a brand-new truck". I am currently very annoyed by the over engineered cheaply built federally mandated crap on the showroom floors.

It seems that the Ray Kroc business model is where the automobile industry has gone. I do not like McDonald's. I don't like their idea of what makes a meal. I certainly don't want to buy a rolling computer. Electronic gadgets that don't make the ride any safer. ABS, Traction Control and 27 airbags are no substitute for attentive driving!

What I want in a truck is a 1/2-ton SUV, 4x4, manual transmission powered by an I6 turbo-Diesel. Seen any of those at the dealer, lately? Once the cash comes together (Q3-ish 2017) I will be commissioning a custom builder to assemble my dream truck.

But for now, I am shoehorning my chore truck into another role. Since having the exhaust system fixed properly, the fuel consumption seems to be way down and the comfort of driving the thing is way up!

Just have to find a set of seats from a King Ranch edition and it'll be all set.

And proud of it!
Old 09-12-2016, 09:07 AM   #48

One doesn't need to say they are an expert, yet sometimes they make themselves appear to be an expert just by statements that they make. Such as stating how many miles you have driven in those 40 years or stating that "It has served me well at the office since I wrote the software they use everyday."

Its not what you say but how its said and most importantly in how its perceived.
You most likely know what you mean when you say something but the person that hears what you said takes it for what they think you meant.

Yes bad habits are hard to break.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
...snip...

Its not what you say but how its said and most importantly in how its perceived.

...snip...
Truer words were never shared.

Perception is so much a part of being human.

Simple concepts like "Fact", "Truth" and "Observation" become muddled way too easily.

And proud of it!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #50

I have read the entire thread, and therefore know that you have decided (wisely I might add) to use the F350 as your TV.

In regards to towing, I have always been one to go hunting for deer with a howitzer so to speak, mostly due to the fact that I make my living by pushing the envelope of weight down the highway (Professional driver specializing in heavy haul equipment, often times running down the road with a gross weight upwards of 220,000lb)

My last trailer was a 21' triple E, that I towed with my 08 F350 diesel. Needless to say I would have to look in the mirrors to confirm that I was actually still hitched to the bloody thing.
Now that I have upgraded to a larger trailer, and am right on the limits of my GCVWR, I find myself thinking about buying a class 8 tractor (Read: Semi truck), to turn into a single drive with bunk and use that as my dedicated TV.

There are things you'll never wish you had less of.
Explosives, money, ammunition, horsepower, and tow capacity.

Is the only comfort issues you have with your 1 ton the seats?
If so, that can be easily solved with a trip to a local wrecker, or even following some of the facebook truck groups in your area.
Find yourself a set of seats out of a Lariat. The 2003 body will accept at least up to 2010, if not 2015 interior with little to no modification.
If its ride quality, well... that's part of the 1 ton tax (more expensive parts, fuel mileage, etc)
Because you are well within the limits of your GCVWR, and RAWR, you could have a spring shop pull one of the leafs from the rear pack, essentially turning your truck into an F250.
If you are really mechanically inclined, the 2008+ years have a much longer spring pack in them, which translates to a softer ride while still maintaining RAWR. This requires the box to come off, the original spring hangers to be cut off, and relocated.
There are options to make the truck you should be using more livable.

2008 345BHS
Preacher87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher87 View Post
I have read the entire thread, and therefore know that you have decided (wisely I might add) to use the F350 as your TV.

In regards to towing, I have always been one to go hunting for deer with a howitzer so to speak, mostly due to the fact that I make my living by pushing the envelope of weight down the highway ...snip...
I agree, there is no kill, like overkill!

Converting my F-350 into a tow vehicle would best be described as an expedient.

I'm throwing about $5k at it and the Explorer to give me the vehicles I can use comfortably for the next 2-3 years.

Thanks for the info on the suspension mods, but the F-350 will be always be my chore truck. So it will retain the 1-ton suspension and all the issues associated with being prepared to carry that kind of load.

Yes, I am trying to connect with the online (my local place doesn't have weekend or evening hours) auto recycling community to find some nicer seats (30+ possible combinations!) 1999-2010 seats are bolt-in replacements. "Base", "Eddie Bower", "Lariat" and "King Ranch" are all trim lines that were available. I want to find something that will keep SWMBO's and my butts happy for a full tank of fuel!

Once things square up financially, I will be commissioning my Dream Truck which will be purpose-built for towing a 5K-6K# bumper-pull trailer, look nice enough for going out on Saturday night and comfy enough to not mind being stuck in traffic. Lofty goals, huh?

And proud of it!
Old 09-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #52

Easy peasy.
I wasnt aware of there being an Eddie Bauer trim in the super doody's. The King Ranch is gorgeous, but the leather requires meticulous maintenance, and sets that havent been thrashed go for a pretty penny....
But they are comfy, and I love mine.
Lariat has some really nice leather.
If you decide to go KR, private message me and Ill give you the lowdown on rehabilitation of dry seats and maintenance.

You could always go off the deep end and custom fit some legacy lo seats out of a kenworth

2008 345BHS
Preacher87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher87 View Post
Easy peasy.
I wasnt aware of there being an Eddie Bauer trim in the super doody's. The King Ranch is gorgeous, but the leather requires meticulous maintenance, and sets that havent been thrashed go for a pretty penny....
But they are comfy, and I love mine.
Lariat has some really nice leather.
If you decide to go KR, private message me and Ill give you the lowdown on rehabilitation of dry seats and maintenance.

You could always go off the deep end and custom fit some legacy lo seats out of a kenworth
Still trying to get an edumacation on what is available....

Eddie Bauer Edition seats are mounted in the front of the Explorer. Back in '09 or '10 a load of Explorers were pulled off the market. So things like really nice seats and running boards were quite plentiful and cheap for a while....

Thanks, I should narrow my search to Lariat seats from a 2010 standard cab. That'll be recent enough for the retailers, not totally trashed and probably affordable.

As far as caring for leather interiors, my dad is a retired auto trimmer. The last 20 years he only worked on exotics like Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Lamborghini, etc. So, I'll have plenty of unsolicited 'help' caring for this modification.

And proud of it!
Old 04-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #54

Totally confirmed!

While doing a routine service on the Explorer, I found and read the tags on the differentials. 3.55.

No doubts at all: 3,500lbs max trailer weight. The 1.25" receiver matches the official limits of the truck perfectly.

-------

The F-350 is getting new tires this month.

And proud of it!
Old 04-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Totally confirmed!

While doing a routine service on the Explorer, I found and read the tags on the differentials. 3.55.

No doubts at all: 3,500lbs max trailer weight. The 1.25" receiver matches the official limits of the truck perfectly.

-------

The F-350 is getting new tires this month.
So are you doing the buy back on the TDI or holding out for more money by parking it until the deadline?

I completed the buy back in Jan. I had parked it last August a while after hearing about the odometer adjustment and replacing it with a Subaru WRX. For my 09 Jetta it was working out to $50/mo by leaving it parked. So it didn't make much sense keeping it that long even though it was paid off.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
So are you doing the buy back on the TDI or holding out for more money by parking it until the deadline?

I completed the buy back in Jan. I had parked it last August a while after hearing about the odometer adjustment and replacing it with a Subaru WRX. For my 09 Jetta it was working out to $50/mo by leaving it parked. So it didn't make much sense keeping it that long even though it was paid off.
As with you, I completed the buyback. 2/25/17.

Considering the cost of insurance, registration and the interest on the loan, it wasn't worth leaving it parked to let the monthly mileage adjustment stack up. I wanted to turn in the polluting (and lying about it) piece-of-[stuff] back in July, when they announced a settlement.

All-in-all I got cash in my pocket of over 2/3 of the original purchase price. Even AFTER they paid off the balance of the loan AND I had driven the car for over 110,000 miles.

----------------

There is something the Explorer offers that no sedan can ever match. The seat is at that perfect height where I can just plant my butt and pull my legs in. No plopping down! Throw in those 5 barn doors and 6,000,000 cuft of cargo capacity.... It's a keeper! Only one downside: Stopping for fuel 2-3 times per week.

And proud of it!