Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #21

My next door neighbor had new tires put on. As she drove out of the dealership a front wheel fell off, she lost control and was broadsided by another car. (no nuts in sight at all!)

I didn't hear about it until AFTER I had gone to the same place for new tires. My car had little black plastic covers on the lug nuts. When I got there I walked around the car and checked - all 20 caps were on the vehicle. After the tires were installed and I was leaving I checked again and several were missing. The service manager called the mechanic in and he swore they were missing when I got there.

It is my understanding that the fine print on their service contract now requires that you return before driving 50 miles to have lug nuts checked, plus it says not responsible for plastic caps. I never saw the new paperwork because we don't go there any more.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:04 PM   #22

They say be respectful, don’t blame.
I took my brand new Ford van for the first oil change, it was not free either, drove home 30 miles and noticed on the way back that my oil pressure was down to “0”
Then looked underneath and saw NO oil pan drain plug. ??
No oil, drove back to The Ford dealer and they looked at me like I was crazy and wouldn’t admit blame. They put oil in it with no apologies.
Went home and quit making payments on it . It got repo’ed . Not going to own a new vehicle that drove 50 miles with no oil . Feel sorry for the poor bugger who owned it after me.
Bad credit is fixable not bad New motor.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
I took my brand new Ford van for the first oil change, it was not free either, drove home 30 miles and noticed on the way back that my oil pressure was down to “0”
No oil, drove back to The Ford dealer and they looked at me like I was crazy and wouldn’t admit blame. They put oil in it with no apologies.
Went home and quit making payments on it . It got repo’ed . Not going to own a new vehicle that drove 50 miles with no oil . Feel sorry for the poor bugger who owned it after me.
"Forgot to put the oil back in" is proverbial. That's why the discount quickie lube places always have the mechanic go to the waiting room to show the customer the full dipstick.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:21 PM   #24

Guess I'm nervous!

Unless I watch them torque the lug nuts, I always double check them when I get home.

I'm retired now but I use to be a deputy sheriff, a tire shop put new tires on my patrol car. That evening right after my shift started another deputy got into a chase and I was his backup. I drove about 15 miles at over a hundred mph, when I slowed down all kinds of noise was coming from the rear of the patrol car. They had forgotten to tighten any of the rear lug nuts.

I may have been less than diplomatic when I talked to the folks at the tire shop.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:00 PM   #25

Something I have always done and continue to do is once I get home from having tires rotated or replaced is to loosen all lug nuts and then torque to MFR specs. I carry my torque wrench when we travel and check all torques every 1000 miles.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:25 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
It's situations like this that remind me why I do 90% of the work on my vehicles myself. Mistakes happen and I've sure made a few of my own. However, I pay attention and work slow on my vehicles. I'm afraid that sometimes the technicians working in these dealerships are so pressed for time, they just rush through things. That's when these types of things happen.
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56
Andersen WD

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
It's situations like this that remind me why I do 90% of the work on my vehicles myself. Mistakes happen and I've sure made a few of my own. However, I pay attention and work slow on my vehicles. I'm afraid that sometimes the technicians working in these dealerships are so pressed for time, they just rush through things. That's when these types of things happen.
I used to do that too, mostly because I couldn't afford the dealer. Then the kids started coming and I had other priorities, so I stopped. Then, after a few screwups I started back doing it myself.

Now I'm too old for that crap. I found a good local shop and he does all my work. I know that it'll be done right and I never have to go back twice.

OTOH, he just built a waterfront home and a big boat, so I figure my 3 cars are helping pay his mortgage.....LOL.

Oh well.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
I used to do that too, mostly because I couldn't afford the dealer. Then the kids started coming and I had other priorities, so I stopped. Then, after a few screwups I started back doing it myself.

Now I'm too old for that crap. I found a good local shop and he does all my work. I know that it'll be done right and I never have to go back twice.

OTOH, he just built a waterfront home and a big boat, so I figure my 3 cars are helping pay his mortgage.....LOL.

Oh well.

My buddy Eric runs the go to local independent shop here. I'm there at least a couple of times a week lending a hand with some of the projects he has going on or just hanging out. In fact, I drove my old square body Chevy down there today for one of his sons to see.

Anyway, I've turned enough wrenches in that shop (and actually one previous to Eric's) to tell you that the independent shops are the way to go. If you find a good one, there is a lot of pride that goes in to the work that they do. Lots of times that comes at the expense of the the profit for the shop owner. But, to get repeat customers, that is the way that you need to run your business.
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56
Andersen WD

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Not going to own a new vehicle that drove 50 miles with no oil.
50 miles with no oil? That had to be one amazing engine. Did you not hear that something was amiss?
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #30

Better to be cautious

Better to be cautious here - in case the missing lug nut is a sign of a bigger problem.

Back in 2001, we were on a long trip from Minnesota to Yellowstone and back. In Yellowstone, I had a bad medical situation and my wife had to take over driving responsibilities. On our drive back, we stayed overnight in Bismarck, North Dakota, a driver in the next lane waved to us and said he heard something rattling in our hubcab. We pulled over and found a loose lugnut. I was in a lot of pain at the time and didn't investigate further, though in retrospect, I very much should have. The next day, we were about a hundred miles from home and our tow vehicle started acting up big time. As we pulled into a wayside rest, that tire fell off the truck!

We called triple A and they towed everything back home. My brother drove up and gave us all (me, my wife, and three younger kids) a ride the rest of the way home.

Turned out that during a pre-trip tune up, the garage had rotated the tires but neglected to tell us to retorgue the tires a hundred miles later. Ultimately, this was my fault but at the time I was unfamiliar with alloy type tires and the need to do this.

The potential horror story here, was that after my medical emergency in Yellowstone, I had been med-evaced to Cody Wyoming for more extensive tests than they could do in Yellowstone and my wife drove the tow vehicle with our trailer and three kids back through the Yellowstone mountains. If that tire had fallen off then, everyone would have been killed!

Moral of this story, lots of caution when it comes to tires and your family is always in order. We very much lucked out during that time - by God's help or other means, but I've been smarter ever since then.
jancwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #31

Even when you do things yourself and you check, and recheck your work things can still go wrong that are or were out of your control.
In 15 we purchased a brand new "other brand" 5er. It was nothing but problems from the day we bought it. The start of the 2nd year of ownership I jacked it up to adjust the brakes and grease the bearings. I tightened and torqued all the lugs on all 4 wheels. We travelled 300 miles to camp for the weekend and I re checked the torque on all of them at the campground. On our way home we made it 60 miles when we got a call from our camping friends saying we lost a wheel off our trailer. Sure enough, the front right took a hike off the side of the highway and into the woods. Luckily it was the right side instead of the left side and potentially injuring or killing someone. All 6 wheel studs were sheared off flush with the brake drum and the stud holes in the wheels were still perfectly round and not even scratched. We got it fixed, Blackmon the road and back home. Once home I checked my torque wrench against my buddy's $700 snap on torque wrench and mine was off by -1.3ftlbs. So, it wasn't my torque wrench. We even rechecked the other wheels and they were all within 1ftlb of torque. These studs that were sheared off were due to over tightening, but not by me. The best we can figure is they took a wheel/tire off our trailer for whatever reason and ours was replaced and the "mechanic" overtightened the lugs. It was just a matter of time before they sheared off. At the end of the day, I replaced all the studs on all the drums with brand new ones just to be safe. 3 months later we traded in that pile of junk for our Northpoint.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
50 miles with no oil? That had to be one amazing engine. Did you not hear that something was amiss?

back in the early '80's had a new Chevy 1 ton pickup with a 5.7/350 gas engine. Was working long hours at the time often hauling heavy loads. Dropped it off at the dealer for some warranty work so had them change the oil that it was due for (usually changed my own). Upshot is when I check the oil level a couple weeks later as part of my routine, I learned the old 350's worked just fine on a quart and a half of oil. Put about a 125,000 miles on it after that with no problem until the pickup was wrecked.
kenc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #33

MisLubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenc100 View Post
I learned the old 350's worked just fine on a quart and a half of oil.
Had a neighbor in Nebraska who took his 2004 Subaru Legacy in for 48k service. I took him back to dealership to get it when they were finished. Picked his car up, departed dealership. At first intersection south of the dealership, he turned left, I turned right. Before I got over the hill, noticed he had pulled over and flashers were on. I turned around, went back to see what was up. Oil light never came on, but engine was 'making noise' so he pulled over. Checking oil when I pulled up and there WAS NONE! Dealer towed the car back to the dealership, filled it with oil and gave it back to him, admitting fault. "Oh, so sorry..." He fought with them over replacing the engine because it started using a quart or oil every 900 miles. Subaru standard is 1 qt every 1,200 miles for warranty purposes and at 48k, he was out of warranty. He traded for a Nissan Titan in early 2006 and never went back.
I had a 2005 Lincoln Aviator with a 4.6L Mustang GT engine in it. It would use the first quart of seven in about 800 miles. That concerned me until I let it go to 1,500 miles and it should have been nearing 2 quarts low...but it wasn't. Still only one short. Went to Ford dealer and was told, "We'll check it, but most likely you've been checking too soon after shutting off." I went from using 5W20 to 5W30 and no change in consumption. Drove that beast to 87K, traded it in a quart low with 4K miles on the change. Ford current 'standard' is 1 quart per 1,000 miles in the 5.0, 1 quart per 1,500 on every thing else. My 2.0 Fusion uses about 4-6 oz in 5K miles.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:57 PM   #34

One of my coworkers got transferred about 1500 miles away. He had a F100 Ford truck. One day at lunch a bunch of us were chewing the fat and the young guy said he was driving his own car to the new job, following the moving van. He asked if we thought he should change the oil. We asked him how many miles on the truck and when did he change it last.

His answer was 80,000 miles and never.

On lunch the next day we helped him change it in the parking lot. It came out like tar and took 3 oil changes until it flowed like oil.

Last time I talked to him he still had the truck and it now had 150,000 miles and the engine had never had any problems.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #35
CAG

Quote:

That one calls for the same procedure that you follow when you make the mistake of putting gas in a diesel. Don't start it, call a tow truck to tow it to the shop.
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML -Sold
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #36

All engines use oil. Lubes rings and cylinder walls, it burns off and repeat. Just the nature of the beast.

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM   #37

Quote:
why do that you could have traded it off and come out better... unless you put nothing down and only made 2 payments then a repo makes sense...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #38

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
I work at a dealer, and yes, these things do happen..... not the missing nut usually, but forgetting to reset the tire monitors. 99.9% of the time, the dealer will say stop back in, we'll replace the nut, and reset your TPMS. Hell, i've sent someone to the customers house to reset the monitors. Thats what we do!
2017 Jayflight 26BH ..... Jayflight #6 ( and holding)
traded in .....
2018 Jayflight SLX 265RLS - Jayflght #7 (done)
jaycojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM   #39

Our Mercedes sedan has bigger wheels and tires on the rear than the front. When I had my tires replaced, I bought them from Tire Rack, at the local tire dealer they screwed up the placement despite the fact I informed them of the difference. They apologized and gave me free rotation, latterly of course, and a free alignment next visit.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #40

Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
Our Mercedes sedan has bigger wheels and tires on the rear than the front. .
An independent shop "rotated" the tires on my wife's 1999 BMW Z3. The "front" tires were 225-45-17, the "rear" were 245-40-17. With the wider, lower profiles on the front, the car was a hand full. When I took the car back to correct the 'error', I was told I was going to have to pay. My response was, "Pay for your error??? I'll bet I don't..." I was then informed the car had the wrong tires on it, even though the front rims were 2" narrower that the rear. When I provided "internet information" to dispute shop claim, they begrudgingly put the tires on the proper end of the car. Never darkened their door again.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote