Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #1

More towing info please

Okay I have decided on a Jayco Eagle HT 26.5 RLS fifth wheel. Will a properly equipped Ford F-150 XLT pull it easily , or will I be pushing its limits. And if so what type of towing options do I need to make it properly equipped. If not what size truck do I need, and what towing options would you recommend. I am brand new to trailering so any info is very much appreciated. Thanks and Happy New year🎉.

Guitarmanrlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Site Team

We would need some more info about your truck as there are many variations of the F150. Payload, towing capacity, engine, rear differential ratio, rating on tires to name a few. Welcome to the forum, I`m sure our towing guys will help sort it out.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
We would need some more info about your truck as there are many variations of the F150. Payload, towing capacity, engine, rear differential ratio, rating on tires to name a few. Welcome to the forum, I`m sure our towing guys will help sort it out.
Yep a lot of variables come into play and no matter what you add to your truck it doesn't legally change your factory ratings. Looks like that 5er loaded down will be at or well over 10,000lbs.
THABULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #4

I do not have a truck yet. I am wanting to know what I need to buy to easily pull a Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS 5th wheel. I prefer Ford products. Jayco advertises that this model can be towed with a half ton Ford PU with the 5.0 liter V-8. I 'm sure there are other towing options required. I need to know these options. Here are the spec weights of the trailer.
WEIGHTS
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 6,845
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs). 1,285
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 9,950
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs). 3,105
Thanks
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #5

I agree with THABULL. As one speaking from experience, I can tell you, it is no fun towing a 5th wheel at (or above) the pin weight or towing limits of a TV. I have a 3/4 ton TV that is right at my 5th wheel limits and my fuel mileage suffers, I struggle to climb steep grades (and also worry about coming down the back side of the mountain). Therefore, I am trading my existing heavy Keystone Montana for a Jayco Eagle HT 26.5 RK so that I will have no doubt about reserve towing and pulling capacity. I know many others who have no problems with towing at the maximum weights but that's not me so I gotta change. So...I'm glad to see you are concerned about this situation because that probably means that you will make the right decision
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #6

So what size truck and with what towing options do you recommend to tow the Eagle HT easily?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmanrlk View Post
So what size truck and with what towing options do you recommend to tow the Eagle HT easily?
IMO if you don't go ahead and get a 3/4 ton 2500 it won't take you long too regret it. Will a 1/2 ton pull it yeh but you will be at or over the rated limits and in a emergency situation the outcome may not be good. As a trucker I have seen this way too many times and it's not a pretty site. Gas or diesel that's your choice but if your planning on doing a lot of traveling especially in mountains there would be diesel in my garage. I've never pulled a 5er but have been told with a short bed it's real easy to dent the cab in a tight spot , a slider 5th wheel may reduce that chance.
THABULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

To tow easily..., I would start with a 3/4 ton truck configured with the highest payload capacity. IMO the Eagle HT 26.5 RLS will have a loaded pin weight range of 1,800lbs to 2,400lbs depending on your loading habits. Also, keep in mind that the combined weights of the TV's passengers, cargo, and 5th wheel plate are subtracted from the payload capacity along with the FW's loaded pin weight.

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #9

We have a 2012 Jayco Eagle HT 26.5 RLS and have towed it with both a Dodge 3/4 ton diesel, long-bed with six-speed manual transmission and somewhat de-rated and now a GMC 2500HD D/A combo short-bed, crew-cab. We also tow a 19' Crestliner Superhawk behind the FW. I believe that a HD 1/2 ton will probably tow the RLS ok, you might be right up to the maximum towing capacity with not much reserve. I was unhappy with the towing performance of the Dodge with the derated diesel compared to the GMC and you might be as well if you go with a smaller gas engine. Getting the smaller truck with a gas engine will not give you more mpg towing, but probably quite a bit less than with a diesel. I would suggest you consider a 3/4 ton to tow your FW just for the piece of mind knowing you have quite a bit of reserve capacity in the truck, whether it's a gas or diesel engine.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #10

In my opinion, you can never buy too much truck because there will be a bigger, heavier fiver in your future- JMHO- DD