Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #11

I have been over the Rockies on I90 and also on secondary roads with my Silverado 3500 4.10 8.1L gas and JayFlight 29BHS 7500#. The truck had no problem climbing the grades. It had an Allison 1000 transmission so it automatically downshifts on downgrades to save the brakes. It was very stable and towed very well. I also towed the same setup through the mountains (not the Rockies) with a Dodge 1500 with an 5.9L and it was terrifying. I suggest you weigh your truck first. I bet your weights will be over what the sticker says. Use your actual weights when figuring what you can tow safely. Remember your truck will lose power the higher the elevation. Assuming you are under the weight limits be very patient with your truck and monitor the temps.

msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #12

Going down the hill is what prompted me to switch out my Ecoboost F150 for a 3500 Duramax. Going down the Grapevine and the Siskiyous in 2nd gear trying to hold it under 60 was not fun. Just take it easy and slow. No point being all stressed out on a trip that should be enjoyed.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by milw156 View Post
Going down the hill is what prompted me to switch out my Ecoboost F150 for a 3500 Duramax. Going down the Grapevine and the Siskiyous in 2nd gear trying to hold it under 60 was not fun. Just take it easy and slow. No point being all stressed out on a trip that should be enjoyed.
I fully agree!
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #14

If you had 3:70 or 4:10 gears you would be a lot better off.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBadger View Post
Could you provide some further details/numbers for your TV? Is this short box or a short box w/NHT enhanced trailering pkg? 2WD or 4WD? (I'm guessing it's a short box without the enhanced trailering pkg and having 4WD; please confirm). Are you sure about the tow rating number of 9400lbs? That number seems to be for the Extended Cab model; the Crew Cab (or CC as you listed in your signature) has a tow rating of 9500lbs for a short box having 4WD. Thanks.
WIBadger

The truck is a short box (5'8") crew cab with 4wd as you suspected. It has the regular tow package, not the NHT option. The tow rating is stated as 9500lb but since getting the truck I have added upgrades to it including bed spray liner, Retrax tonneau cover, mud flaps, undercoating, and rear wheel housing liners, all of which will add weight that will have to be deducted from payload capacity and thus tongue weight. I intend to weigh the truck to get a more accurate idea of how much tongue weight I really have. The jayco 23m that we bought shows a tongue weight of 635 lbs and a GVWR of 6500 lbs. Once I have the equalizer installed the tongue weight will be higher so I want a good idea of my capacity. I think I'm OK because the allowable tongue weight for this truck, with an equalizer hitch, is 1100 lbs. My son, who is a GM tech and who chose the truck for us, tells me I'm over-thinking the numbers and will have no problems towing this particular trailer with the gear that we typically take on our trips.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #16

Agree with your son. Its good to know your weights but you should be well within your limits. Drive carefully and don't be in a hurry. I like to time my drive thru difficult areas to avoid heavy traffic. Being retired has its benefits. My TV is pretty much a ditto of yours but an 08. We will probably upgrade to a 2500 eventually, but plan on pulling our new White Hawk for a couple years with the 1500. We don't full time and take one long trip and a few medium trips each year. The wear and tear on the TV should be well withing tolerances. Keep up with maintenance, air up your tires to just below max limit, and enjoy your trip.

I don't need a Duramax 10 1/2 months out of 12 each year so I'll make do with my current TV.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #17

One thing to also watch out for on the downhills are crazy bus drivers. They must have amazing brakes and engine braking ability because they come out of nowhere and pass you doing 80. First one **** near pulled me into the other lane and startled me half to death. As soon as I saw a bus on my rearview I made sure to get into the right lane and "brace myself" for the pass.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by milw156 View Post
... are crazy bus drivers. ...
That one strikes a nerve with me. In my many previous decades on the road I always had respect for the professionals. Truckers and others are usually more predictable than casual drivers.

Lately I am less than impressed by bus drivers. So many of them drive too fast, follow too close, change lanes too abruptly, and generally show a lack of professionalism. It is almost like they think that bus drivers have some greater reason for traveling than the rest of us mere mortals. It's no wonder to me that it seems there are more buses involved in accidents lately than I ever noticed before.

I know that not all bus drivers are bad, but the bad ones stick out. Sorry for the highjack.

Back to topic. I am very aware anytime buses get near me and almost expect them to do something stupid. So I give a x10 to the watch out for buses in the mountains warning.

vic

VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote