Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #1

Mush ride x17z. Check my Scale numbers

Hello all!

Can you check the numbers please…..

Little history…..For about 1.5 years we have had our x17z pulled by our Borrego which is a RWD truck frame mid size suv, 5k towing capacity. Seven years prior to that it was a large coleman popup with of course no problems. Currently the TV has 110k and I just replaced the rear shocks last fall (didn't notice a difference, just age). Also towing with ‘P’ tires rated at 44psi and a Husky centerline TS WDH. Plenty of power!
On occasion we get a bit of a ‘mushy’ ride, mostly on the highway. Kind of a floaty feeling. Not white knuckle but not comfortable either. We have traveled on some state roads close to 60mph and don’t get this, at least I don’t remember it. It was real evident when we had an extra kid and brought the 60lbs dog last week. Dog was in the 3rd row, behind the axle. We were over our payload capacity , didn’t even think about it until we hit the road, duh. Am usually the one that says "put that back, it weighs too much". We normally have nothing past the 2nd row except the chocks. Anyway, we did the cat scales last summer and weighed the tongue yesterday (couldn’t do it at the scales at the time)

Cat scale numbers ready to camp.
TV: Steer: 2660
Drive: 2520
Gross: 5180
GVWR= 5842, Rear 3638, front 2866.

With camper and WDH engaged:
Steer: 2600
Drive: 3020
Trailer: 2920
Gross: 8540

When the bars are engaged the front wheel well returns to about 1/2 inch difference.

So if my math is right, 3360 lbs is what the X17z weighs. When we did the tongue weight from the bathroom scale method we initially got a 541 lbs weight (WOW), so 41 bs over our max. Even with shifting bags to the rear of the camper and removing camping chairs from the front storage we were still over by 17 lbs. So we are right at the edge of our 1157 payload, eaten up by the 517 tongue and about 550 with the four of us. Correct?

Is this our mushy ride?? Adjustment on the WDH? Remove the 30lbs tank for a 20 pounder? Air bag helpers? New TV not in the cards now so just want to get rid of this mush, float ....if possible. Thanks for any advice you can give.
Flash828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:21 AM   #2

I would think a set of air bags would help get rid of the mushy feeling. You can also adjust the WDH to put another 60# on the front end of your TV.

I had put air bags on my Tundra when I was towing our 28BHBE due to being quite overloaded on the rear axle. Made it ride level and much better.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply!!
Had my suspension checked since the milage is up there. Need front struts, which I knew Isince the ride not towing wasn't too firm anymore. So once they are replaced this week I hope for an improved ride.
Should I add more washers to the hitch since I alredy moved the L brackets up on the camper after it was towed empty from the dealer. I'm afraid if I bring up the L brackets one more time it might throw off the front axle even more.
Flash828 is offline   Reply With Quote