Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #21

I am also shocked the dealer let you leave without a WDH. Our trailer came with one. Any amount of wind, or a sudden stop and your trailer will start swaying all over the place, putting not only your family but every other person around you on the road at risk.

Please get a WDH (frankly I would go back to the dealership and demand one!) and set everything up properly. I also agree the trailer is not sitting level and needs to come down a couple of inches. You'll be amazed at how much the stability will improve with both.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Please, some data to back up what you've said about ST tires. I have never read anywhere that weight has anything to do with tire speed. I highly doubt he changed his wheels to 16" to run ST tires as there are no 15" LT tires that will have the load capacity. He still has the stock 15"Jayco rims.
http://rvtipoftheday.com/rv-trailers...-speed-ratings
Paragraph 3 and 4 discuss oversizing tires and calculating the reduced maximum weight above 65 mph.

http://www.carlisletransportationpro..._Practices.pdf
Page 3 states
Quote:
Load carrying capacity decreases as heat and stress generated by higher speed increases
I can't find any more examples right now. When I bought my trailer tires it mentioned in the brochure that speed greater than 65 mph results in in lowered weight capacity. It didn't state NOT to exceed 65.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
http://rvtipoftheday.com/rv-trailers...-speed-ratings
Paragraph 3 and 4 discuss oversizing tires and calculating the reduced maximum weight above 65 mph.

http://www.carlisletransportationpro..._Practices.pdf
Page 3 states

I can't find any more examples right now. When I bought my trailer tires it mentioned in the brochure that speed greater than 65 mph results in in lowered weight capacity. It didn't state NOT to exceed 65.
I knew you could add extra PSI to increase mph but you lose the load rating. Not sure what tires the OP has. If they're 205/15 then he's at the max load rating and if driving faster has reduced his load rating. If he has 225/15 then he's okay. But I'm not giving him the benefit of doubt that he filled his tires 10lbs over the max psi to be able to drive 75mph. Reason is that judging by his setup he hasn't got a full grasp on what it takes to be safe. So I doubt he's of the understanding in all parameters of towing.

Thanks for the links though. I learned something new today.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #24

The trailer is setting straight, In that picture something in the road is creating that look. The truck itself has some sort of trailer sway control. Not sure completely how it works, It does have sway bars front and back, I actually think I saw two in the back. I wasnt aware its so dang mandatory every trailer has a wdh setup? Truck handles like a dream with it now. Now my previous truck didnt handle it very well that for sure.
kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #25

[QUOTE=spoon059;257324]
That being said, it isn't the best idea to constantly drive faster than 65 when towing for a myriad of reasons. That is to each driver to find a comfortable compromise between speed and safety.[/QUOTE

It was for a short time, Just checking out the truck. Ill prob stay 60-65 most of the time. I also keep good distance in front of me.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Reason is that judging by his setup he hasn't got a full grasp on what it takes to be safe. So I doubt he's of the understanding in all parameters of towing.
Yes I am quite new. Glad to see we have such a smug expert with us.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:28 PM   #27

Guys, this tt had a dry hitch weight of 635 and a dry weight of 5460. Add the propane tanks and some cargo (not much) now the hitch weight might be 750 and maybe a total of 6000. It dont seem like to big a deal. The trucks good to 8200 and I know of some others on the dodge forum that have hauled a good bite more than that with it even and the truck handles it fine. It says alot that it can run 60 mph at 1500 rpms (8th gear) including mild inclines without jumping down a gear to do it.

Between this truck and my previous one I have logged around 3k miles hauling this trailer without a wdh and have yet to feel any kind of wobble. If I get into a rough side wind I might just pull over for a time. I know I looked at one and it alone was around 150 lbs by itself. Maybe I am missing something but it dosent feel like it towing. Also wouldnt a wdh make it weird to turn sharp and backup ect?
Old 12-27-2014, 12:37 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronos View Post
snip..... Between this truck and my previous one I have logged around 3k miles hauling this trailer without a wdh and have yet to feel any kind of wobble........snip
The main function of a WDH is to "maintain" the proper weight on the front suspension of the TV while towing. As TT tongue weight is added to the TV's hitch ball, weight is added to the TV's rear axle and at the same time weight is removed from the TV's front axle. The heavier the tongue weight, the more weight is removed from the TV's front suspension......, and proper/safe TV handling of any TT is dependent on the integrity of the TV's front suspension.

In cases where a WDH is required but not installed, the weight on a TV's front axle can fluctuate while in tow, not a good condition in itself and is amplified if to much weight was removed in it's static condition.

One's TV owners manual will identify the condition that the front suspension should be when towing...., in most cases it is recommended that the TV's front suspension should maintain the same weight hitched as unhitched for ideal handling.

Visting a CAT scale under TV/TT loaded conditions will eliminate all the guess work, and tell you everything you need to know; if a WDH is required, is a WDH properly sized/adjusted, all TV/TT weights, proper loaded tongue weight (13% to 15%), etc..

CAT scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3871

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #29

OP, I am sure that Ram specifically states that a WDH is REQUIRED if you are towing over a certain weight or a certain tongue weight. Regardless of whether or not it is required, if is certainly a very good idea.

150 lbs seems awful heavy for a WDH. I have the Equal-I-Zer WDH and it can't weigh more than 75 lbs or so. It distributes weight to the front axle to help with steering and reduces (eliminates) sway. In windy conditions, getting passed or passing a large truck... my trailer is rock solid.

Especially if you are towing at higher speeds, you need to take every reasonable precaution when towing. Spend $400 and set your rig up right.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #30

I can't imagine towing that trailer on a ram 1500 (remember I had a 2013 ram) without a wdh. Your tongue weight is likely 900lbs give or take. Rams rear coil springs r very soft. When i would haul 3 atv's (a little 90 in the bed) and 2 full size ones on a trailer, my rear end sagged a good bit and I could feel the steering being very light.

I think the Eco diesel is a great idea and you r likely right at your payload capacity with the family in the truck with the trailer, so I also highly recommend you check out an equalizer or comparable wdh hitch.
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #31

To the OP, read in your owners manual about what weight ratings your receiver has. All receivers have a WD/nonWD rating. Also read in your manual about how to setup your truck for towing.
Just wondering, did the dealer even ask you about a WD hitch? If they did and you said no, then did they explain to you why they're needed?

Lastly load up the truck and TT and get it all weighed. Find out the axle weights of both the truck and TT and the tongue weight of the TT.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #32

To the OP, the people who have posted their comments and suggestions here, have done so with the safety of you and your family in mind. Perhaps some of it comes across strongly, but they really do care about your safety.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #33

Quote:
The truck itself has some sort of trailer sway control. Not sure completely how it works, It does have sway bars front and back, I actually think I saw two in the back. I wasnt aware its so dang mandatory every trailer has a wdh setup? Truck handles like a dream with it now. Now my previous truck didnt handle it very well that for sure.
Your sway bars on the truck have nothing to do with the trailer...well, I suppose they can assist with stability and handling of the truck while towing but certainly not anything like a WDH hitch with integrated sway control will. Plus, a WDH isn't just for sway (not all come with sway control). It's like Rustic Eagle said earlier...a WDH is to transfer the weight back to the front of the truck for proper set up (handling). Sway control is a by-product of a WDH.

I've pulled a trailer (5400 pounds) without a WDH (rental trailer) and it was a white knuckle affair and it was with a 2011 Ram 1500 (5.7). That truck squatted like a pup on your new rug...there wasn't a thing I could do about it! My Ram had the same suspension your truck has and it was rated to tow 10,200 pounds. Still squatted and steering was terrible, handling was terrible and stability was terrible. That trailer was only 24 ft long...a 28DSBH is 31 ft. I pull a 28DSBH and it's a decent sized trailer...with a 1500 series truck and no WDH, it's not going to be a good tow at all.

Quote:
Yes I am quite new. Glad to see we have such a smug expert with us.
We are not being "smug"...we are trying to help you help. The information contained on this board is from some of the smartest folks I've ran across on forums. Yes, from time to time I read extreme measures about things but they are still correct and in the best interest of safety.

Quote:
Guys, this tt had a dry hitch weight of 635 and a dry weight of 5460. Add the propane tanks and some cargo (not much) now the hitch weight might be 750 and maybe a total of 6000. It dont seem like to big a deal. The trucks good to 8200 and I know of some others on the dodge forum that have hauled a good bite more than that with it even and the truck handles it fine. It says alot that it can run 60 mph at 1500 rpms (8th gear) including mild inclines without jumping down a gear to do it.

Between this truck and my previous one I have logged around 3k miles hauling this trailer without a wdh and have yet to feel any kind of wobble. If I get into a rough side wind I might just pull over for a time. I know I looked at one and it alone was around 150 lbs by itself. Maybe I am missing something but it dosent feel like it towing. Also wouldnt a wdh make it weird to turn sharp and backup ect?
Forget the "DRY" weight of your trailer...those numbers do not include any options such as the A/C or packages you can get...most likely your trailer is in the area of 6,000 pounds. There is a yellow sticker on your entrance door that tells you what the trailer weight is...I suggest your go look at it.

There is also a sticker on your truck's door for your Gross Vehicle Weight as well as your payload. One is listed with front and rear axles and the other is listed with the tire pressure info. Get those numbers and then click the link Rustic Eagle posted and figure out your weights and get to a CAT scale.

I understand you pulled the trailer with your truck and I understand you think it is safe doing so but honestly, you are not safe. Your family is not safe either and you are putting those on the road with you at risk not understanding the capability and limits of your truck, your trailer and the basics of towing.

The Ram Ecodiesel is a great platform and a very capable truck when properly set up. Unfortunately, you have not set things up correctly or safely.

I'm excited for you to pull with the Ecodiesel as I am a huge Ram fan! I think the class exclusive power plant is awesome for 1500 series trucks. But it is still a 1500 series truck and the limits and capabilities are in the truck, not the engine.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #34

Quote:
read in your owners manual about what weight ratings your receiver has. All receivers have a WD/nonWD rating.
Just wondering, did the dealer even ask you about a WD hitch?
Its a 10k receiver, with a 10k hitch. Strange enough I couldn't find a wd hitch amount listed on any material that came with the truck. Since my old MUCH weaker truck says it can go 6k and at that point use a wdh. I assumed the current setup would be good without it.
Thank you all very much, I read more about it last night and I may end up getting a wdh setup. Im also driving more now than I had planned to anytime soon. We ended up coming down here for the holidays due to a sudden illness in the family.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Deuce View Post

I've pulled a trailer (5400 pounds) without a WDH (rental trailer) and it was a white knuckle affair and it was with a 2011 Ram 1500 (5.7). That truck squatted like a pup on your new rug...there wasn't a thing I could do about it! My Ram had the same suspension your truck has and it was rated to tow 10,200 pounds. Still squatted and steering was terrible, handling was terrible and stability was terrible. That trailer was only 24 ft long...a 28DSBH is 31 ft. I pull a 28DSBH and it's a decent sized trailer...with a 1500 series truck and no WDH, it's not going to be a good tow at all.
But my truck isnt squatting at all? It does lower it like 4 inches which it dead level then at that point, no actually its still slighlty higher in the back. I know it pulled my old truck down like a bad disease.

Quote:
Forget the "DRY" weight of your trailer...those numbers do not include any options such as the A/C or packages you can get...most likely your trailer is in the area of 6,000 pounds. There is a yellow sticker on your entrance door that tells you what the trailer weight is...I suggest your go look at it.
I didnt know that number didnt include the ac and such, yes your right that number says 5943, hmm

Quote:
I understand you pulled the trailer with your truck and I understand you think it is safe doing so but honestly, you are not safe.
Thank you, When I get home ill reviews those links posted and possibly reconsider my position. I just know of friends that tow twice this weight with a similar size tt.

On the trailer brakes, does it have 2 sets of brakes or just one?
Old 12-28-2014, 06:08 AM   #36

On my F350, I have a max hitch weight of 600lbs without a WDH and much higher with one. And the hitch on my truck is extremely heavy duty. Odds are your trailer exceeds your max hitch weight. I will as well suggest you get one. These trailers aren't made to be towed without one. It's also better for the wear and tear on your truck. Also realize there are 2 parts to a WDH - sway control and weight distribution. That's great if it isn't swaying but it should have the weight distribution.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #37

There is a website , pickuptrucks.com,which tests trucks on annual basis, this year they had ram ecodiesel as well, the biggest issue they had with it was that payload capacity of the tested model was "490 pounds" it had GVW 6950 pounds and weighted 6460 pounds, go to the website, click on special reports and see 2014 annual physical, or copy and paste http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....time-v-6s.html
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #38

The ram monroney
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #39

Better one
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-28-2014, 06:44 AM   #40

Sorry