Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #1

My TV and TT - a good match?

Hi all,

I'm new to forum posts so I hope my etiquette is fine in starting this thread.

My family owns a 2014 F150 with the following stats:

V8 (we were scared off of the ecoboost because of some problems we read about it)
tow package
heavy duty payload package (to help with tongue weight) - makes GVWR 8200 lbs
GCWR = 15300 lbs
front GAWR = 4000ish lbs
rear GAWR = 4800 lbs
max trailer towing = 9200 lbs (though who's pulling a TT with a single 150 lbs driver?)

We're looking at picking up a Jayco 26BH this weekend with a dry weight of about 5000 lbs (elite package so weighs a bit more) and a max GVWR of 7000 lbs.

All of the math I've done says we're good, but I just wanted to check with some folks with experience before we finalize the purchase. Do the TT and TV match OK? We have 2 small kids (who will eventually be giants) and we love the layout of the 26 BH.

Also, we know we need an equalizer hitch (same as weight distributing hitch I've been told) - do we need sway control also?

Thanks,

Bob
Bob145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

There are a lot of people towing bigger TT with a lot less, you will be fine. Get sway control. I don't use it since my rig is very stable, but it is better to have it and not need it than the other way around.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Your numbers on that combo look good to me.
Yes you DO need a WD hitch and sway control.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob145 View Post
snip...

Also, we know we need an equalizer hitch (same as weight distributing hitch I've been told) - do we need sway control also?

Thanks,

Bob
Welcome to the forum, Bob.

Yes, you do need sway control.

The naming is confusing, but there are various manufacturers of weight distributing hitches (aka WDH). One of them has the brand name of Equal-i-zer. That is a brand that many of us, but NOT all, have and use. That brand's E4 model incorporates an excellent anti-sway design; no need for additional components.

Read articles in this forum regarding sway and you'll learn about weighing your TV and TT and the importance of tire construction and inflation pressures to combat sway.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #5

We have basically the same set up as you (I have a 5.4L and my GVWR is a little lower then yours. We haul our 20BH all over the country every summer. We pass people going over the Rockies, the Grapevine. You'll have no problem. Just watch how much you put in the back of the truck, the towing is fine, but you'll run out of Cargo Capacity faster then you will GVWR.

My numbers according to FORD are close to as yours, but then they add this thing on the driver's side door. Which kind of screws all those numbers up. I did the math once and it would almost be impossible to tow 9800lbs with my rig.
All I'm saying is watch how much cargo you put in the bed of the truck.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
Get sway control. I don't use it since my rig is very stable, but it is better to have it and not need it than the other way around.
I used to use a sway control bar too, but found I didn't need it either. My trailer is 6 feet shorter then his though.

All we use is the weight distribution bars.

Regards,
JP
Old 01-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #7

I think you should be good. Did you consider the 26BHS? We had a 26BH but just upgraded to the slide model. Boy, what a difference in space. We love it. Either way, you will love your Jayco!

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #8

I would expect your rear axle to weigh in around 3000#. If you load up the new TT to 6000# (just a guess) your tongue weight will be around 900# (15%). The Rear GAWR is 4800# which would leave you 900# remaining in cargo.
You could visit the CAT Scale fueled up and all campers on board and you will KNOW the weight on the rear axle. Estimate the weight of "stuff" you will put in the bed and calculate the remaining cargo and back-calculate a max TT weight. That'll give you an idea how big a TT you can safely tow. All this knowledge for around $10! Like JBP says you will probably run out of cargo before you hit the GVWR.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #9

Sorry I don't know what happened to the picture.

Regards,
JP
Old 01-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I would expect your rear axle to weigh in around 3000#. If you load up the new TT to 6000# (just a guess) your tongue weight will be around 900# (15%). The Rear GAWR is 4800# which would leave you 900# remaining in cargo.
You could visit the CAT Scale fueled up and all campers on board and you will KNOW the weight on the rear axle. Estimate the weight of "stuff" you will put in the bed and calculate the remaining cargo and back-calculate a max TT weight. That'll give you an idea how big a TT you can safely tow. All this knowledge for around $10! Like JBP says you will probably run out of cargo before you hit the GVWR.
The CAT Scale is your friend.
Hi,

Thanks for all of the good advice so far.

RedHorse1, when you say 900# remaining in cargo (the math sounds about right to me) do you mean passengers, or just stuff we want to put in the bed of the truck? We weren't thinking or putting anything in the bed of the truck - I assumed we'd put everything we wanted to take with us in the trailer itself. Either way, your advice about visiting a scale with the truck fully loaded with passengers and fuel sounds good. Need to find a good place to do that near Vancouver BC.

ddrueckh, we did look at the 26BHS. It's heavier though, so it gets closer to the max for some of the numbers. Also, we're a little slide shy because we're worried about leaks (we're the cautious sort). We're aware that the 26BH is a little "tight in the middle" but maybe that'll discourage us from wanting to hang out in there all day when we're camping - it'll be tempting with it being all shiny and new

Thanks again everyone, any other suggestions or comments are welcome.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #11

Our combined weight of cargo + passengers is supposed to be about 2300 lbs because we got the heavy duty payload package with the truck. Of course the salesman said we didn't need it, but I was trying to think ahead about tongue weights. Not sure how much a cargo capacity of 2300 lbs and a rear GAWR of 4800 lbs is related though.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #12

Is it a crew cab or a super cab (4 door)? I wonder how they squeeze another 600lbs of cargo into it. That seems like alot (not that I doubt you). Could another spring do that? Academically speaking of course.

Regards,
JP
Old 01-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob145 View Post
Hi,

RedHorse1, when you say 900# remaining in cargo (the math sounds about right to me) do you mean passengers, or just stuff we want to put in the bed of the truck? We weren't thinking or putting anything in the bed of the truck - I assumed we'd put everything we wanted to take with us in the trailer itself. Either way, your advice about visiting a scale with the truck fully loaded with passengers and fuel sounds good. Need to find a good place to do that near Vancouver BC.

Thanks again everyone, any other suggestions or comments are welcome.
You maybe surprised at what you'll end up sticking in the back of the truck, 100lbs of wood, 4 bikes, 100lbs generator, gas, BBQ, everything adds up.

Regards,
JP
Old 01-28-2015, 07:07 PM   #14

Should be fine as long as you watch your payload. I have a 26 BH and just load as much into the trailer as possible instead of the back of my truck.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #15

Looks good to me too. As others mentioned, get a good WDH, try not to cheap out on this as it can make a world of difference.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:25 PM   #16

The equalizer hitch brand does do weight distribution and sway control. It works well. As far as towing your rig it sounds like you been doing your homework. They payload takes into account what ever you put in or on your truck plus the tongue weight. The thing you don't have to add in is the fuel and the 150lb driver if the driver weighs more add the difference. Now the tow ability is different issue. This is a personal preference thing. I had a 05 f150 5.4l with 3.55 gearing. The truck sucked at pulling my x23b about 5000lbs . However a guy at work pulls a bumper pull toy hauler 30' long he told me the total weight of it which fully loaded he would be over weight for his truck. His truck is a 5.4 f150. He says it tows it great. After talking to him after I was not liking how mine pulled 5000lbs he told me he had to put different tires and air bags on. I also told him the truck runs at 2700 to 3000 rpm @65 he told me thats where his is at. Ask him about towing up steep hills he replied his pedal is at the floor. So I thought to myself you told me it tows it great but after talking to you it turns out you had to do all these mods just to tow your trailer. That to me sounds like it does not tow it great. After that being all said to buy a tt and a new truck gets too spendy. If your numbers are good buy the trailer but just know you will want to upgrade the truck. So if the tt with the slide is still towable with your current truck buy that one cause you'll be buying a bigger tow vehicle in two years. That's what happened to me.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:59 PM   #17

Again thanks all.

Jpbeck, it's a super crew. It took a lot of research to make sure the towing capacity, GCWR, GVWR, Payload capacity, and axle ratio all lined up. The dealer insisted it was way more truck than needed for a reasonably big TT. I ignored him and made him bring in this truck for me from the other side of the province. so far as I can tell all the numbers work with the 26 BH and it sounds like you all agree.

nwminnesota, I feel like I have done a lot of research too, but all of your advice on actually towing is super helpful. I'm not planning on switching out the TT or TV anytime soon. Wanted the f150 because it's reasonable as a day to day commuter but will also tow. Wanted the 26BH because it seems well within the limits of the f150 as long as I don't load the bed up when towing. also love the 26BH floor plan. I'm getting the wd hitch thrown in so I'll make sure it comes with active sway control.

All that being said, if anyone thinks there's a good reason not to buy this TT to go with this TV I'd appreciate the friendly advice

Bob
Old 01-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #18

You have plenty of truck for that trailer. PLENTY. Good for you sticking to your guns and getting the good gearing and heavy payload. That truck is essentially an older F-250 when it comes to numbers.

The 26BH is a wonderful trailer and one of Jayco's most popular floor plans. There is no reason not to go with that trailer UNLESS you foresee yourself needing a bit more space. It's the perfect trailer if you don't want a slide out. Consider the pro's and con's of a slide out and if you are for it, look into something like the 26BHS or the 28BHS (which I have - it's only 1.5 feet longer than 26BH) both of which your truck would handle no problem.

If you go with the 26BH, even loaded at max you will not exceed the limitations of that truck. Good luck!
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #19

[QUOTE=Bob145;265308]Hi,

QUOTE]

Yeah, what I was getting at was load up the TV like you were headed to the CG when you weigh. That will show you how much tongue weight (more cargo) you can add. Don't forget to factor in the weight of the hitch itself.
From your response it sounds like there aren't any CAT Scales in CA. Bummer! I'll bet there are truck scales along the highways to/from the border tho.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #20

There are CAT scales all over the place, at least in Southern Ca.
http://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator

EDIT oppppps -- CA as in Canada -- lol-- my bad.

Regards,
JP