Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #1

Navigation System

We have a factory navigation system on our 2017 F-150. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade to Ford's navigation system for RVs so that we don't need a separate one?
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #2

No reason to upgrade what you have, the RV gps units are a waste of money for what they do.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #3

I thought that they warned you about low Bridges and overpasses, and let you know about other obstacles that would be problematic for a trailer that wouldn't be problematic for a regular vehicle.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Old 01-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
No reason to upgrade what you have, the RV gps units are a waste of money for what they do.
I do not see where you are coming from with such a statement.

I vastly prefer my Garmin 760LMT unit to the in dash GPS in my greyhawk.

Firstly, upgrades to software and maps are FREE for the life of the unit. Updates to most in dash units must be bought. To the tune of approx 80 to 100 dollars.

My Garmin brings an additional layer of functionality that the in dash unit does not. I can search for local grocery stores, campgrounds, restaurants, etc.

It also alerts me to traffic and road conditions when linked via blue tooth to my cell phone. A HUGE help when there is an accident ahead. It will suggest alternate routes.

It also alerts me to road conditions not suitable for my RV, i.e. bridge heights, sharp curves, etc.

And when the sun is shining on it I can move it so I can see the screen!

Very happy with my Garmin and will replace it when it quits.

Jump

Jerry Mary and Daisy the Beagle
2022 Alante 29S
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #5

I have the 2018 Greyhawk and the in dash is the Garmin. It pops off the mount and you can use it like a tablet. Love it so far! Haven't used it a whole lot, don't know about updates, will have to look in to that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
grimeshaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #6

Grimeshaus, I like the idea of a detachable unit. If it has free updates that is just extra gravy!

Please let us know the features of your unit. Very interested.

Jump

2022 Alante 29S
Old 01-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump View Post
I do not see where you are coming from with such a statement.

I vastly prefer my Garmin 760LMT unit to the in dash GPS in my greyhawk.

Firstly, upgrades to software and maps are FREE for the life of the unit. Updates to most in dash units must be bought. To the tune of approx 80 to 100 dollars.

Most GPS units for the past ten plus years have had free map upgrades

My Garmin brings an additional layer of functionality that the in dash unit does not. I can search for local grocery stores, campgrounds, restaurants, etc.

I can use my phone for any of that

It also alerts me to traffic and road conditions when linked via blue tooth to my cell phone. A HUGE help when there is an accident ahead. It will suggest alternate routes.

Cell phone can also do that

It also alerts me to road conditions not suitable for my RV, i.e. bridge heights, sharp curves, etc.

I don't trust that this feature is always accurate, I have never gone under a bridge that a semi truck could not pass under or around a curve that was a problem

And when the sun is shining on it I can move it so I can see the screen!

I don't need to look at the screen, all I need is a voice to listen to, keeps my eyes on the road, much safer than looking at a little screen for what.

Very happy with my Garmin and will replace it when it quits.

I am glad your happy with your Garmin but I don't see any real benefit to an RV specific GPS, to each there own.

Jump
1A
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I thought that they warned you about low Bridges and overpasses, and let you know about other obstacles that would be problematic for a trailer that wouldn't be problematic for a regular vehicle.

Having actually used both a regular GarminGPS and a Garmin RV system, I can confirm that the RV based GPS's are a very useful tool while you are on the road.

They have many campgrounds and RV services that are not included on a regular GPS. The RV GPS warns you of low bridges etc. and route you around them. It can be set to warn you of sharp turns and the route can be set to Eco-route which can avoid steep hills if there are alternate routes.

I installed this Kenwood in-dash unit in my F150, which took less than 2 hours from start to finish:

http://www.kenwood.com/ca/car/naviga...edia/dnx571tr/

Like the in-dash because no wires and directions are broadcast through truck speakers as loud as you need it and it automatically mutes radio or MP3's that you are listening to. No data charges and have never lost the GPS signal yet except in parking garages.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #9

Quote:
1A
It's the Garmin/Fusion RV-BBT600. It's a combination nav/music/media/apps/hands free phone/etc. It does the traffic, road alerts normal with the Garmin. And it's detachable!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
grimeshaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #10

Quote:
1A
I understand your reluctance to use an RV specific GPS.

My statement as to paying for GPS updates comes from the fact that updates for my 2014 F150 indash GPS cost 149 dollars from Ford. I gave away a 6 year old 100 dollar portable GPS unit as the updates were 85.00 dollars!

While cell phones will serve many helpful functions, I do not want to have to deal with more than one device whilst driving.

I do find it useful to quickly view my GPS screen while driving. When approaching turn offs and route changes, it is very helpful to view the screen as my unit shows me which lane to be in and whether the turn is left or right. It even gives a picture of the upcoming interchange lanes!

True, to each his own.

Jump

2022 Alante 29S
Old 01-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #11

Ford has an RV specific GPS?
May I ask what it cost for this?

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Old 01-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #12

Octopus, I'm not aware of an RV specific Ford unit. I was referring to updates to my regular Ford in dash GPS unit.

I had started to research an aftermarket unit for just such a purpose, but we then sold our trailer and bought a class c, so no more towing. I've not found any such unit.

Please us know if you find a suitable replacement.

Jump

2022 Alante 29S
Old 01-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #13

With a 2017 F150 you should get familiar with Android Auto if you have an android phone or Apple Carplay if you have an iPhone. I've never used Carplay but Android Auto is very good. Google maps or Waze right on your in dash screen with access to your phones features as well. And always updated for free.
Ford Navigation sucks in our 2016 Edge. Horrible! I don't even use it anymore.

Plug in phone and tell Google where I want to go and it actually works!

Cheers
Old 01-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #14

Subaru that sounds like a great feature. I'll have to see if the 2014 models support that.

Jump

2022 Alante 29S
Old 01-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
In my ‘17 Ford Superduty I have apple car play but I can not do my specific routing on it. I can create s map in google maps but you can not display that specific map on the phone or device. That is what I use my garmin for. As to the other options (finding fuel,etc) the Ford does a good job with (at least with synch 3). This version will also let you download map updates via your cell connection. However it does not do RV specific anything

John Maddox
2017 Ford F-250
Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #16

Garmin 760-LMT

An RV specific GPS is worth every penny - we use it in the Seneca & in the toad

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #17

I have used the Garmin RV760 for about 3 years and I like it. The 7" screen is a plus for me and we do use the RV park search as well as most retail and restaurant search features and it will take you right to the door. It has voice command so there is no fumbling for the phone since it is mounted right there in front of me. It also works where there is no cell signal which can be a plus if you like to camp in the boonies. It is also easy to switch back and forth from RV mode to automobile mode and from fastest route to shortest route. We usually keep it set to avoid the interstates so we actually see the country while traveling.
rickrockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #18

Quote:

I DISAGREE.
My Garmin 760 LMT had kept me off a road that had a low bridge. Car GPS would not have done that. I have had this going on 3 years now. Love it.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #19

is the garmin RV 660 the same as the 760, but only a smaller screen?
i ask because there is a significant price difference.