Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2016, 07:06 AM   #1

Need a Fiver Hitch

It looks as though we will be pulling the trigger on a '16 325 BHQS, and I am in need of a fiver hitch.

My main question is, how do I know or figure out if I will have enough adjustment in the hitch for my set up? I would like to install the hitch prior to picking up fiver, which is 3hrs away?
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #2

More questions to your question:
Do you have 5th wheel prep in your 2014 Ram?
Is it stock ride height (measure from the ground to the top of the tailgate left or right edge).
Is you truck long bed or short bed?

Depending on your answers your decision may be for a slider/non-slider, in bed rails, under bed adapter, picture frame adapter. Then for the hitch: You can go expensive or not so expensive. There are a lot of options.

I have 5th wheel prep and run the Mopar picture frame adapter with either my Reese 22K or 15K Pro hitch. Currently using the 15K because it is lighter and easier to remove.
I have 7" clearance to the top edge of the tailgate but my Jayco is lifted. My hitches are well used but I have them and I keep them in good repair and lubed.

Oh- you can adjust the hitch at your destination if necessary as long as the tools are available...
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
Site Team

Look in the forums For Sale section. You may find a deal there!

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f16/
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #4

Cant go wrong with a B and W and most others probably too Love mine not sure I have ever heard a bad word about them. Changing hitch height is not hard at least on mine a few bolts and 15 minutes will do it as long as you have the wrenches with you. I believe B and W has specs on their website for adjustments. Mine I think it is 3 inches but might be a bit less. I think most of the new rams bed rail height is in the 59ish inch height area. The pin boxes on the trailer also have some adjustment capability. And more than likely the trailer axles will also have some height adjustability. Though you aren't going to just crawl under there and adjust but if at a dealer they should be able to do it for you at least they did on mine. Had to adjust all three the pin box, hitch and axles within about 90 minutes.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb285rks View Post
More questions to your question:
Do you have 5th wheel prep in your 2014 Ram?
Is it stock ride height (measure from the ground to the top of the tailgate left or right edge).
Is you truck long bed or short bed?

Depending on your answers your decision may be for a slider/non-slider, in bed rails, under bed adapter, picture frame adapter. Then for the hitch: You can go expensive or not so expensive. There are a lot of options.

I have 5th wheel prep and run the Mopar picture frame adapter with either my Reese 22K or 15K Pro hitch. Currently using the 15K because it is lighter and easier to remove.
I have 7" clearance to the top edge of the tailgate but my Jayco is lifted. My hitches are well used but I have them and I keep them in good repair and lubed.

Oh- you can adjust the hitch at your destination if necessary as long as the tools are available...
I do not have 5th wheel prep.
Yes, stock height.
Short bed, so will more than likely go with slider. Was wanting to go with B&W or Curt, but not sure I'll have enough adjustment.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Look in the forums For Sale section. You may find a deal there!

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f16/
Thank you!
Old 07-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryg View Post
Cant go wrong with a B and W and most others probably too Love mine not sure I have ever heard a bad word about them. Changing hitch height is not hard at least on mine a few bolts and 15 minutes will do it as long as you have the wrenches with you. I believe B and W has specs on their website for adjustments. Mine I think it is 3 inches but might be a bit less. I think most of the new rams bed rail height is in the 59ish inch height area. The pin boxes on the trailer also have some adjustment capability. And more than likely the trailer axles will also have some height adjustability. Though you aren't going to just crawl under there and adjust but if at a dealer they should be able to do it for you at least they did on mine. Had to adjust all three the pin box, hitch and axles within about 90 minutes.

Some great info! Thank you. I'm just worried I'll spend the money on a hitch, and get up there and it not work.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #8

I talked to my dealer to get some spec's on my trailer, and then I called a hitch shop and gave them my truck information and the trailer spec's.

This particular shop suggested that because my truck was unmodified that just about any hitch would "be in the ballpark" but that they recommended the B&W patriot for my application.

Based on what I read here and another RV forum. The information they gave me was consistent with what my own research had revealed.

I like the B&W because it has a 4" range of height adjustment and that the head lifts away from the hitch making it easier for me to remove. I do not have pucks in my truck so I had rails installed. I also liked that should I need to make an adjustment it is really pretty simple to do.

With that said I have not towed with it yet as we pick up the trailer tomorrow.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #9

I have B&W 18k slider in my '14 Ram Megacab 4x4. I do not have the puck system, so I have rails in bed. I have it mounted closest to the cab and set at it's highest setting. I've had no issues thus far.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I have B&W 18k slider in my '14 Ram Megacab 4x4. I do not have the puck system, so I have rails in bed. I have it mounted closest to the cab and set at it's highest setting. I've had no issues thus far.
What model fiver are you towing?
Old 07-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bud Man View Post
What model fiver are you towing?
North Point 377 (see signature line)
Old 07-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #12

Thanks. Sorry, on a tablet and it doesn't show sig line.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks. Sorry, on a tablet and it doesn't show sig line.
If you click on my profile, you can see a pic of how it sits. It's almost level...I could lower the hitch head 1 notch, but then I wouldn't like the clearance on the bed rails.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #14

Nice setup! How does the 2500 handle the weight of the North point?
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Old 07-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #15

I'm also curious, did you get the additional awning on the slide? If so, are you glad you did?
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Old 07-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Nice setup! How does the 2500 handle the weight of the North point?
Quote:
I'm also curious, did you get the additional awning on the slide? If so, are you glad you did?
It handles it...but I'm gonna see if I can work a deal for a leftover '16 3500 at the end of the year. Right, wrong, or indifferent, I've been told by a buddy that works for Ram that the only difference between the single rear wheel 3500 and 2500 is the leaf v. coil rear suspension (axles, breaks, etc. are the same). I would still rather be safe than sorry, which is why I will look for a new TV. I may even go dually! I did put a higher load range tire on the 2500 and added airbags (which I will take off and keep when I trade in).

I did get the additional awning and love it! We've been lucky enough to have sites thus far, that we can put both awnings out and enjoy the extra outdoor living space.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:43 PM   #17

Great! We are getting the dealer to add the extra awning, seemed like a no brainer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
'13 Suntracker PB 22