Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #1

Need fifth wheel hitch advice

I have recently purchased a 2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Dually. My previous 3500 SRW had the ISR Superglide installed and it worked well except the camper sat a little nose high (approx. 4"). The new dually sits even higher than the old truck and my old hitch, using rails in the box, is going to be too high for me. I am thinking about going to the BW Companion manual slider as it has some vertical adjustment. I also have given thought to the new Superglide oem hitch that will fit directly into the factory pucks. But the Pullrite has no vertical adjustment.

Suggestions? Options?

I definitely will get a slider but I have been spoiled with the auto slider for the last bunch of years. Would the Companion be usable for normal driving or will I be getting out to set the slider for in town driving?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #2

I don't know of any other hitch other the one I have which I like a lot, the B&W Companion with the slider and I only had to use it once since I had it which is a little over a year now.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:46 PM   #3

Your new dually should be a long box, so you dont need a slider hitch anymore.
I really like my Companion, lots of range of adjustments you can make both up and down and forward and back.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #4

Unless you went big and bought a Mega Cab. Then you will need a slider.
Then there's always the option to take it to west Texas and have a long bed conversion done to it. You'll have some SERIOUS bragging rights then!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #5

I went big and have a mega cab with the 6 1/2’ box. Yes slider required, just which one? I like the look and feel of the BW Compnion but have never tried a manual slider. Been spoiled with the Pullrite but it has no vertical adjustment.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:04 AM   #6

Nice purchase on the mega cab!
I installed a B&W slider in my buddy's 2500 Silverado. He and I went to the dealer to pick up his new cedar creek. At that point he'd never pulled a 5th wheel before and I'd never had to deal with a slider hitch before. For the most part, we never had to use the slide turning corners, etc. We got home and played around in a mall parking lot to check turning clearances and how well that slide worked. I have to say I was pretty impressed with that slide hitch. Very easy to use and worked flawlessly. Also very solid feeling regardless of it was in the forward position, rear position and even the sliding operation and how it locks in place.