Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #1

Need help understanding my tow rating

So I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra that will be my tow vehicle. It is the limited with 4x4. The manual says it can tow 6700 lbs, but the window sticker (yeah I still have it) says 6500. The inside of the door says the GVWR is 6600 for the truck itself. That is the only weight number that is on the inside of the door. It comes with the tow package and a class IV hitch.

The TT I am going to be towing is a Jay Feather 23 BHM. It is listed by Jayco as weighing 4825 unloaded and having a GVWR of 6250. The hitch weight is 555. This gives me a GCVWR of 12,850, right?

I am trying to Understand all of the numbers and how my tow vehicle stacks up. I have no idea what the max GCVWR for my truck is. I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find anything. I spoke with a Jayco factory rep at the RV show when I bought it and he said I was good to go. We looked at a few others that were a bit heavier and he recommended against them based on their respective weights. I felt like I had done an adequate amount of due diligence but now that I am reading some info on here and a few other places it's starting to make me wonder.
fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:29 PM   #2

Good question to ask.
I would start with taking your truck to the weigh scale with a full tank of fuel and just you in the truck. This will give you the unloaded weight (curb weight) of the vehicle. Subtract that from GVW and you get your payload weight. This figure will tell you how much you can carry. This includes cargo, hitch, tongue weight and people. The listed tongue weight in the brochure means nothing. To get a close figure on tongue weight, take trailer gvw (6250lbs) and multiply by 13% and 15%. This will give you an idea of what your loaded tongue weight can be. (Approx 900lbs) also remember that the hitch is about 100 lbs
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Jay View Post
Good question to ask.
I would start with taking your truck to the weigh scale with a full tank of fuel and just you in the truck. This will give you the unloaded weight (curb weight) of the vehicle. Subtract that from GVW and you get your payload weight. This figure will tell you how much you can carry. This includes cargo, hitch, tongue weight and people. The listed tongue weight in the brochure means nothing. To get a close figure on tongue weight, take trailer gvw (6250lbs) and multiply by 13% and 15%. This will give you an idea of what your loaded tongue weight can be. (Approx 900lbs) also remember that the hitch is about 100 lbs
Happy Camping
+1

The scale doesn't lie. It's even better if you can load the clan and some gear up and go to the scale as if you were going to go camping with a trailer. Then you have even more accurate information. What you have left between the Tundra's GVWR per the VIN sticker and the scale weight is what's left for towing tackle and tongue weight.

Many will say that you may be over spec on GVW, but just don't go over your rear GAWR, so that figure is useful to have as well.

IMO, if you're adding or subtracting minor items to make a weight spec, you're too close and you won't enjoy it.

I've been close to my limits, and I didn't enjoy it one bit. So keep this in mind too: Based on my own personal experience, just because you're good on paper doesn't mean you're good when the rubber meets the road.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I have 2 months until I take delivery so I still have some time. I will look into getting my truck on a scale.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #5

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html
This link will explain how to navigate the scales.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Jay View Post
Good question to ask.
Happy Camping
+1 along with Camper Bob. You are getting some good advice here. Especially, the advice about "just because looks good on paper."

However, the TV and TT combination you are looking at should give you absolutely no problems.

Finally, are you sure it has a class IV hitch receiver? The Tundra's are in the 1/2 ton weight class and I do not recall seeing them come factory equipped with a class IV; usually, they are class III's. either way, not a big deal, a class III will serve your needs, so a class IV is just a bonus. It would be nice to be sure though.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
+1 along with Camper Bob. You are getting some good advice here. Especially, the advice about "just because looks good on paper."

However, the TV and TT combination you are looking at should give you absolutely no problems.

Finally, are you sure it has a class IV hitch receiver? The Tundra's are in the 1/2 ton weight class and I do not recall seeing them come factory equipped with a class IV; usually, they are class III's. either way, not a big deal, a class III will serve your needs, so a class IV is just a bonus. It would be nice to be sure though.

The window sticker from the truck says it is the max tow package with a bunch of upgrades including a class IV hitch.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html
This link will explain how to navigate the scales.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

Thanks, that is a lot of info to learn and understand. Guess I have some homework to do.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #9

A great little calculator tool. Also remember that not only is the tongue weight misrepresented on the website so is the trailer weight. You need to account for a few hundred more pounds in propane and batteries, and water if you intend to carry it however calculate your numbers using the gvwr to be safe.

We bought our TT with I tension of pulling g with our Expedition which is also a 1/2 ton. Gvwr of TT is 6000#. Our Expedition can tow 8950#. One might think no prob, right? Wrong! We were real close on payload and over the rear axle weights rating once all passengers were loaded up and trailer with tongue weight. It managed but I wasn't comfortable. We upgraded to a 3/4 ton Excursion after only a couple of trips.
http://rvtowcheck.com/

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
Thanks, that is a lot of info to learn and understand. Guess I have some homework to do.
I felt pretty intimidated on my first trip to the scale but I'd read that sticky and got it done.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote