Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #1

New problem towing Eagle HT

This will sound like a rant, but it is really just a cry for help. So, I was ready to pull the trigger on a really cheap used Dodge 2500 4x4 that could easily tow my Jayco Eagle 24.5ckts which I decided would not be safe to tow with my beefed up F150 because, though I was below spec on payload, towing capacity, and GVWR I was under only by a bit and adding water for boondocking would have put me over. The vast consensus on this Board, and the Jayco forum on Facebook, including from those with my exact Eagle HT 24.5 ckts was to upgrade to an F250 (or similar 3/4 ton) and some even advised a 1 ton. Here is the problem. The Dodge dealer was kind enough to let me drive the truck home to see if it would fit my fifth wheel and, at 60 inches to the top of the tailgate, the truck is too tall to tow my fifth wheel level. But other people on this board have solved the same problem, somehow. I don't want to drop $1,000 or more to swap out the brand new tires on my brand new Jayco, but I am open to any other solutions like, maybe, ordering a Ford F250 2 wheel drive because, apparently, they are shorter.

Any suggestions out there for how I can solve this apparent dilemma? I want to tow with a big enough truck but it seems the trucks are too tall for this half ton. Rock and hard place.
Monheganlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:20 PM   #2

New problem towing Eagle HT

Most people towing an HT 5er are doing so with a 3/4 ton truck. Most of those are Ram or Ford. I think you may be overthinking this. Did you put in a hitch and load the trailer. Putting weight on the truck. If you’re measuring it empty, that’s of course not accurate. Pick any 3/4 ton truck and go enjoy that 5er. Even if it tows a little nose high, that’s fine too. Mine did. I went all over with it. No adverse effects. I think mine was as much as 5” different front to back. Don’t recall exactly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180702_151527.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	53395
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #3

You don’t mention the clearance under the front cap but as you load the TV it will squat ay little and may get you pretty level.
My 350 would squat 3-4” with 3000# of pin in the bed until I added Timbrens.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote