Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2019, 01:51 PM   #1

New PUP or Hybrid? Depends on TV

We're very close to retiring our 2007 Jay Series 1007 to get a new, 12' PUP with front storage box, slideout dinette, and other goodies. We need more space, and another PUP prevents us from having to get a new TV. We currently tow with a 2008 Chevy TrailBlazer (V-6, 5,000 lb. tow capacity) but it's got 116,000 miles so, as a backup, my wife's new vehicle is a 2019 Pacifica minivan with factory tow package. While we can't go for a High Wall PUP or sports package version with front deck, we like what we've picked out and have a new TV to cover us if/when the TB is gone.

We've held off because we feel the X23B calling us, but neither of us will or can drive a full-size truck. The TrailBlazer is actually our "kid car" that we let our adult daughter, 25, drive when we aren't using it. I have and need a fuel-efficient 4-door sedan.

We'd actually prefer with a new PUP over a small hybrid, but see lots of benefits to a large hybrid like the X23B (or equivalent). It appears a used compact truck (Tacoma, Dakota, Colorado/Canyon) would do the job, and we're contemplating picking one up and selling the TB. I'm seeing 6,000 - 7,000 lbs. tow capacity and the X23B has a GVWR is 5,500 (4,425 UWB, 1,075 CCC). Good there, I think, but I'm not sure if these compact trucks have the payload rating for an X23B. I know @jagiven tows/towed one with a compact truck. Any others?

Rough math is this: Wife, me, youngest, and friend in truck (3 eldest daughters are grown and not camping with us any more) weigh 525 lbs.

If I assume a full trailer of 5,500 lbs., 12%-15% of that on the tongue is 660 - 825 lbs, so I'm at 1,185 - 1,350 lbs. without anything else in the bed of the truck. As PUPers now, I'm confident we could get all our personal gear except our bikes inside an X23B and maybe under 5,500 lbs, but I'm assuming max.

Near as I can tell, payload on the compact trucks is 1,500 - 1,800 lbs., so thinking these compact trucks could handle the X23B based theoretical weights.

I know car dealers and RV dealers will tell me I'm fine but what do the experts here say?
raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote