Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #1

New Ram 1500 Questions

I have been looking at a tow vehicle and have posted a post or two on this site concerning this. I think I have narrowed it down to a 2017 Ram 1500 Crewcab with 5.7 bed. Big hemi for the engine. 4x4. Bighorn model.

I am wondering if any of you with the Ram have tow mirrors offered by Ram? Like them? Can they be folded back? Can you get into a car wash?

Are any of you using the air suspension system offered? Thoughts about it? I like the idea about how it equalizes the front to the back and lowers when you get into the truck.

Will be towing around 5400 empty and with a length of 29 feet.

Appreciate any comments.

Steve
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #2

The Ram tow mirrors can be folded up and down. Carwash fit depends on type and clearance of car wash, but ultimately the mirrors can be folded in against the truck.

Keep in mind, Trim different trim packages and other options like the air suspension system will have an effect on the available cargo weights and towing capacities.

Glad you are keeping length in mind. Most people get so transfixed by the weight numbers and stickers that they forget to consider the effects of length and how that can change the dynamic of how that weight tracks behind the vehicle.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:09 PM   #3

The Bighorn trim is one of the higher trim levels so take a good look at the actual payload on any of these you are looking at and make sure it has sufficient capacity. I have a 2014 crew cab with the 5.7 Hemi, 6.4 bed, 4x4, air suspension and factory tow (minus the factory tow mirrors which all the dealers had deleted for some reason) and extended range fuel tank. The payload is a measly 1100 - it works fine for us with our small SLX model but obviously wouldn't handle a much larger trailer. Starting in 2015 there was a bit of an increase in GVWR for these models so that should help. Mine is 6800 but I think now they are 6945.

Given the 29' trailer length you called out I would look at the crew cab model with the 6.4 bed instead of the 5.7 bed. It has about 9 inches more wheel base - 149.5 vs 140.5. Looking at the table of recommended wheel bases for towing - the 140.5 is around 27' max trailer and the 149.5 is around 30' max trailer.

The air suspension is very nice and provides an excellent ride both loaded and unloaded. As this is my daily driver the better ride the air suspension provides is appreciated, and I like the ease of loading the bed at the lumber yard with the truck lowered a few inches.

If you decide to go with the air suspension you'll need to adjust how you measure and set up your wdh to account for the self-leveling behavior.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

I've been a Dodge/Ram fan for life. I've had brand new Ram 1500 trucks before. The one constant thing that kept rearing its ugly head was this. It works for now but what about later when the family grows or you just want more room? Guess what the 1500 always to small. So I finally bought a used 2007 Ram 2500 Bighorn Cummins. That way I have all the truck I'll ever need and trailer size or weight isn't a problem any longer. If you have decided to upgrade the tow vehicle keep this in mind. It's easier to change the trailer than it is the truck.

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote