Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #21

If you look at my sig, I have towed it to Florida and back. I have absolutely no problem towing it with the Ram 6.4 hemi gasser. Towing is about 9 mpg and empty is about 19 mpg ( it goes down to 4 cylinders on light loads). I don't drive over 65 and use cruise all the way. Also if you order it get the maxis tire upgrade, what a difference. The 3500 costs the same as the 2500 and can carry a lot more.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #22

I moved from a gas to a diesel and the towing experience is like night and day. Lots more power. You won't regret getting a diesel, especially towing a trailer that large.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:35 PM   #23

New RV'er

Life is a trade off. I'm a Diesel Man. When it is all said an done, there is usually more said than done. Everything will come out alright in the end, if everything ain't alright, it ain't the end yet. Hope you are happy and would be interested in knowing what you decide on.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:27 PM   #24

Well I haven't pulled my 338 with anything but a diesel but I agree with most it pulls as nice as my 32 foot one did and actually backs just as easy ... great pivot point... a little harder in tight turns but not too bad and we love the space. trailer weight on ours as delivered was in the 9675 range so I think you need to watch the posted specs on jaycos web sight on that weight.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #25

I had completely forgot about this thread until it popped up a couple of days ago, so let me update it.

Won't go into all of the "confusing" (at least for me) details on the way things turned out but the DW suddenly flipped on the 338RETS simply because there was no island (aka: not enough counter space for her)?!? and decided she liked a Coachmen Freedom Express 322RLDS better?!?

LONG story short, we bought that trailer in June of last year and I ended up with a GMC 2500HD gasser to pull it. During our trip this past winter to Florida, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it towed that trailer. Set the cruise and let the truck do the work, so I was satisfied with the setup.

Fast forward a few weeks of everyday living in Florida and it ALL changed. Guess she just got tired of changing her clothes in the living area!

Anyway, "we" (aka: she) has decided to trade in the Coachmen and order a 2017 Eagle 330RSTS which is I guess in her mind, is the best of both worlds. The bath and bedroom of the 338RETS with the Island she wanted and when she saw that the residential refrigerator was an option, well lets just say I have taken a second job for the summer!!!

What she doesn't concern herself with is what that will place on me in regards to pulling it down the road. The 2500HD can handle the slightly higher overall weights of the 330RSTS but it's the tongue weight that has me concerned. I have a 1400# Equalizer and the hitch on the 2500HD says it will take 1500# with or without WD. Loaded, the Coachmen was at about 1200# hitch weight, but the 330RSTS dry hitch weight is 1270# according to the website. If it comes in from the factory any higher than that, I am already having thoughts of upgrading both the receiver and WD hitch. From past experience with her "packing techniques", I know that the tongue weight on the 330 once loaded, will most likely exceed that easily without some "creative" packing. Always an adventure isn't it?!?!!
Old 07-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #26

I was just thinking about the added initial cost of the diesel. If you give up some of the bells & whistles, moon roof, heated steering wheel, that kind of stuff, I'd imagine swapping the flash for the diesel is going to make up for the extra cost of a really good towing engine. And it should last for a very long time. On the other hand, if you want a newish truck every three years or so, hang with the gasser. At least for the first ride. Just lower the brim of your ball cap and keep your sunglasses on as the REAL TVs whiz by!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
I have towed a number of flat, storage, and toy hauler trailers over the years with my half ton Silverado and Tahoe however none were longer than approx. 20 ft.

We are now retired and are really geeked about starting a more "mobile" lifestyle. It will be part time at first but we also plan on mostly extended stays either up north or in the south during winter and don't want the walls to start closing in.

Considering price, amenities, that I usually lease, etc. we have decided that a TT will be our best "bang for the buck" option and of course, she has determined that the one that will "work" for her is the Jayco 338RETS which is a monster to me at almost 40 ft. A large wardrobe, shower, and living area are most important over the number it can sleep because it will be just us 2 and the dog almost all of the time.

I know I will have to upgrade to at least a 2500hd. But I am also not sure about a diesel over a gas engine because our usage of the trailer will at least in the short term, be sitting on property up north for the summer and us driving up for a number of extended weekend stays, and then most likely towed to Florida or Arizona during the winter. There may be a few other occasional trips elsewhere, but the truck would mostly be used as a daily driver the vast majority of the time which to me says a gas, single rear tire version is the best option.

But with all that said, the main concern for me (not her) is pulling/maneuvering a 39+ ft trailer, especially after viewing the 338RETS thread which had pictures of one being opened like a can of sardines!

So, given that I want to limit my new truck to a 2500hd gas version, and have never pulled anything quite that long, would you recommend it anyway or should I try to talk her down off of that large of a trailer? And if so, any suggestions/ideas that might help sway her to downsize? Once she sets her mind on something.............

TIA,

Jay
We have a 2015 Eagle 338rets TT. We pull it with a 2004 Chevy 2500hd 4x4 diesel crew cab. It pulls aweaome. We use to have a 2000 Ford F350 super duty 4x4 gasser. Hubby says there is no comparision. The diesel pulls so much more effortlessly.
We love the room the 338rets has & he has never had any trouble maneuvering it. He was a truck driver though. Just have to be aware of where you are going & a good spotter is helpful!
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 diesel crew cab
Orcuttclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #28

Welcome back Blu!
Our 5er brochure said 10,685 and the sticker said 11,402 as shipped.
I'm sure you're going to enjoy the 2nd job, free time is completely overrated.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #29

My gasser tows ours fine but, if I had the option and money, I'd go diesel.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I'm sure you're going to enjoy the 2nd job, free time is completely overrated.
THAT is what SHE said!!!
Old 07-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #31

Whether gas or diesel, I would take a look at the 3500 SRW models too. If you get a diesel your "door sticker " payload for tongue or pin weight will be less cause the engine is heavier if that concerns you. Technically I dont think there is a lot of difference other than a little suspension and its mostly a "keep it at 10000 gvwr" regulation thing, but others will chime in I am sure. I ended up going gas and staying in a 2500 bit I saw some F250's with the diesel that barely exceeded the payload numbers on my former half ton. If I had gone diesel it would have been a 3500 I think just to not worry about it and enjoy camping.

The price difference is non existent to negligable from what I found, although check into your states registration for cost differences there. I actually saw a few cheaper at year end sales time, but they werent local.

I think that length will tow fine, but you will start to face some campgrounds that wont work as others said. My 35' is hard at some county or stare parks with lots of trees to maneuver sometimes. Newer campgrounds and pull thrus should be fine however
jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote