Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
Yeah, I thought about that too, but it was priced as a $375 msrp option and I got approx 30% off MSRP on my total ordered unit via negotiations, so I I figured for about $260, I'd gamble and see how it is. I could always unplug it/take it off/sell on ebay or whatev.
You are one of the Guinea Pigs!!
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTwoSome View Post
You are one of the Guinea Pigs!!
I am indeed lol

Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
Getting a properly sized and installed Weight Distribution Hitch with sway control is a must for larger RVs and\or smaller TV's. This should resolve 90% of the problems most people encounter when trailering. The other 10% is just stupidity and there is no legal solution for that unfortunately.

Yes, but there are instances where traditional friction sway control must be disengaged. In those cases, it might be nice to have this as a backup.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Getting a properly sized and installed Weight Distribution Hitch with sway control is a must for larger RVs and\or smaller TV's. This should resolve 90% of the problems most people encounter when trailering. The other 10% is just stupidity and there is no legal solution for that unfortunately.
I agree with you 100%. OTOH, it would be nice to have an added safety feature like this. Many of our trucks have a similar safety feature as do most modern passenger vehicles with traction control, and I'm glad I have it even if I never have to use it (fingers crossed). It's like many other safety features, with prudent decision making and caution, you don't really need it, until you do. Then the price of admission isn't really a consideration.

I wonder if there's some kind of ABS built into it? That would be a valuable add-on to this IMO.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #25

Quote:
My fear is the stupidity of the other drivers on the road and the things they do in front of me, another reason I went with it as an option.
I have an Equal-I-Zer WDH hitch that we have used for both trailers and it works great. I've never once had an issue with sway. I believe a properly set up hitch and proper tongue weight on a proper sized vehicle is the best solution.

In regards to something an idiot in front of you is doing, that is what your brakes are for. If you are braking, you are over riding the anti-sway "feature" of your trailer.

Not that I think there is anything wrong with this product, I actually think its a great product and a great selling feature. I fear a LOT of RVer's don't have a proper sway control, don't have proper tongue weight, might not have the proper tow vehicle and might not have the best driving skills.

For people like that, this system could either put their minds at ease, or actually help in a bad situation.

I wouldn't pay extra for it though, as I would prefer to have a properly set up truck and trailer and no need for additional sway control.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I have an Equal-I-Zer WDH hitch that we have used for both trailers and it works great. I've never once had an issue with sway. I believe a properly set up hitch and proper tongue weight on a proper sized vehicle is the best solution.................................

I wouldn't pay extra for it though, as I would prefer to have a properly set up truck and trailer and no need for additional sway control.
And that is the point I was trying to make. A properly set up WD hitch with sway control should never get so far out of wack that a secondary system like that being offered would do any good. If you need it, there is something far more serious with your set up.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #27

Quote:
I have an Equal-I-Zer WDH hitch that we have used for both trailers and it works great. I've never once had an issue with sway. I believe a properly set up hitch and proper tongue weight on a proper sized vehicle is the best solution.

In regards to something an idiot in front of you is doing, that is what your brakes are for. If you are braking, you are over riding the anti-sway "feature" of your trailer.

Not that I think there is anything wrong with this product, I actually think its a great product and a great selling feature. I fear a LOT of RVer's don't have a proper sway control, don't have proper tongue weight, might not have the proper tow vehicle and might not have the best driving skills.

For people like that, this system could either put their minds at ease, or actually help in a bad situation.

I agree that having the proper equipment and set up is important, which is why I have educated myself and set up the way I have. I see this feature as added insurance. And yes brakes are great if all you need to or are forced to do is stop but there are a million different scenarios that can unfold out on the road...sideswipe or encroaching were what I was thinking this feature would be good for. I am not afraid of losing a couple hundred dollars on a gamble to improve my and my family's safety.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #28

Quote:
I am not afraid of losing a couple hundred dollars on a gamble to improve my and my family's safety.
Sounds like a wise investment to me. I hope my post wasn't taken as being condescending. I really think it will help make Jayco a more attractive product. Personally I would rather see disc brakes as a couple hundred dollar upgrade, but this is a huge step in the right direction for safety for a lot of people.

I hope you never have to find out how it works, I hope you have many years and thousands of miles of trouble free, stress free towing!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Sounds like a wise investment to me. I hope my post wasn't taken as being condescending. I really think it will help make Jayco a more attractive product. Personally I would rather see disc brakes as a couple hundred dollar upgrade, but this is a huge step in the right direction for safety for a lot of people.

I hope you never have to find out how it works, I hope you have many years and thousands of miles of trouble free, stress free towing!
I don't think it was condescending at all, but I am sorry if I came off that way as well, just throwing my reasoning for it out there. It might wind up being junk, but I won't be heartbroken if it is cuz I feel like I have a roadworthy setup as it is.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsims View Post
This looks really great. Trailer sway has to be the thing I fear most being new at towing. I am sure it will happen sooner than later, I just hope I am mentally prepared for it and handle the situation correctly.
This was me last year as I read continuously about towing. These guys/gals are great on hear about calming your nerves. But, I always have a little bit of nerves going on...helps keep me alert and respectful of what I am doing and doing it safe. Keep reading, asking questions and you'll learn a lot here.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:52 PM   #31

Why disc brake ? Drum brakes are perfectly fine , cheap to buy, to maintain, they last forever they dont rust that much....just asking

Quote:

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #32

I think it would work better if the gyro/sensor was located on the rear of the trailer, it would pick up sway sooner..
Only issue I could see this having would be someone towing on curvy roads, I think the gyro would get confused and start applying the brakes cause issues like pre mature brake wearing and lower MPG for the tow vehicle.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:56 AM   #33
Site Team

Another Lippert company. It will likely be like the leveling systems and be an offering industry wide if it catches on. I have lots of questions and will follow its development and implementation.

https://www.lci1.com/archive/2015/11...l-trailer-rvs/
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaling View Post
I think it would work better if the gyro/sensor was located on the rear of the trailer, it would pick up sway sooner..
Only issue I could see this having would be someone towing on curvy roads, I think the gyro would get confused and start applying the brakes cause issues like pre mature brake wearing and lower MPG for the tow vehicle.
I was thinking that too, but then it would be harder to program I would think? Because of the length differences across models between the axles and the rear wall, the lateral forces will be different on virtually every different trailer model. At least if you put it up front, the forces are much more uniform across trailer models.

I completely agree though, I would be looking to the tail-end of the trailer as a first indicator of sway.

I know on my trailer, there's A LOT of real estate behind the axles, so tail swing is something I have to watch out for. This is much less pronounced on many other (especially shorter) trailers.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #35

I have it ordered on my new Jayco TT. Obviously a properly set up WDH with a sway control will manage sway 99% of the time. I think this option is meant for that possible 1% where circumstances caused a out of control sway situation.

It's a $375 option. With my out the door discount on my factory ordered TT of 33% I figured I paid about $240. A fair price for some piece of mind. Maybe a resale benefit when I sell it in the future. JMO Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #36

I am a little curious what it would cost to install after market. I have a 2016, but since it was delivered in July of '15, probably one of the first 2016's off the line in my model, I am relatively sure it does not have this "Prep" package on it since it wasn't announced until late last year.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
I am a little curious what it would cost to install after market. I have a 2016, but since it was delivered in July of '15, probably one of the first 2016's off the line in my model, I am relatively sure it does not have this "Prep" package on it since it wasn't announced until late last year.
Not sure what it would cost or if is available after market but it was offered on my 2016 as an option.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
Quote:
Not sure what it would cost or if is available after market but it was offered on my 2016 as an option.
Sway Control - DirecLink.com

Dexter Axle Introduces Sway Control System | RV Business

I saw an ad in this month's Trailer Life Magazine about something similar, but I don't have it with me. I also couldn't readily find information on Dexter's product on their website.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #39

I think you are right.
Cam Am tested the Tuson electronic sway control with the Mercedes GL and a 34' / 7200lbs Tracer and it works on extreme cases only.
So I think it's designed to avoid that a dangerous situation (need for abrupt lane change for example) get out of control.
You can read the Cam Am test here: RV Lifestyle - Vol. 43 No. 7 (Page 6)
Video of the testing here:

If the system Jayco is offering works the same I will order mine TT with it.

I'd like to hear if someone have experience with the Jayco system...

R

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:30 PM   #40

I know I was reading the brochure on the 2011 F250 and it says sway control including using the trailer brakes is built in to the integrated braking on the truck... don't know if it works but sounds interesting, anybody else read anything like this about their tow vehicle