Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Then please be careful about advising people to get deeper into dept every 2 years just to keep up with the upgrade cycle that everyone seems to go through.
Sorry pops. We are all grown ups here, and capable of making our own decisions. If you were to read a little closer, you will see that nowhere did I advise anyone to go deeper into debt every two years. What I did say is that the average RV'er will upgrade on an average of every 5 years. I guess your "every 2 years" is just for drama and effect. Being new to the rv lifestyle, and looking to purchase their first trailer, there is a better than average chance that they don't, and/or won't know exactly what they want/need in an rv, until they have spent some time in one. This in itself leads to first time buyers looking to upgrade from their first unit. Hence the advice I gave, and you tried to twist, to don't go overboard on your first rv purchase.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #22

pssh, i only waited 6 months to upgrade mine
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #23

Alright guys, no need to get into a flame war. I appreciate everyone's advice, and after looking around, I'm leaning towards the Jayco 12BS PUP. I think something like this would suit our needs and it's a lot lighter than the hybrid we were looking at. Not sure when we'll have time to go check one out though. I know this is a Jayco forum, but what are some other good brands should we check out? A dealer close to us has a few Rockwoods, but I've never heard of them before.
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #24

Rockwoods are really nice. I know people who have owned them. I think they are pretty much equal to Jayco. Don't know what kind of warranty they have though. I think the Jayco PUPs are 2 years, same as their travel trailers.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
Sorry pops.
Awesome! I resemble that remark!

No hard feelings, just different points of view.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #26

I tow a Jayco 1206 PUP with a 2005 Trailblazer which is similar to your Explorer. The truck pulls the trailer great and I get about 15mpg towing. I have twin 3-year-old boys so the space is tight. We bought a pup first because we can store it in the garage of our townhome and cannot store a TT on site.

I think the 16XRB would be doable with my truck but I would not have anywhere to store it. My milage would also be worse but that is not too important to me. However it would be a lot easier to set up and more comfortable as I don't have a toilet. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with a TT over a PUP.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I tow a Jayco 1206 PUP with a 2005 Trailblazer which is similar to your Explorer. The truck pulls the trailer great and I get about 15mpg towing. I have twin 3-year-old boys so the space is tight. We bought a pup first because we can store it in the garage of our townhome and cannot store a TT on site.

I think the 16XRB would be doable with my truck but I would not have anywhere to store it. My milage would also be worse but that is not too important to me. However it would be a lot easier to set up and more comfortable as I don't have a toilet. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with a TT over a PUP.
Just curious but do you travel primarily flat roads or up mountains? My problem with the 16xrb is that I know if there's room there's a tendency to fill it. Especially with my daughter getting older, we'll need to load bicycles and other equipment. I'm just not sure which way to go lol.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Awesome! I resemble that remark!

No hard feelings, just different points of view.
It's all good.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
Just curious but do you travel primarily flat roads or up mountains? My problem with the 16xrb is that I know if there's room there's a tendency to fill it. Especially with my daughter getting older, we'll need to load bicycles and other equipment. I'm just not sure which way to go lol.
I live in the Midwest so no major hills so far but we are planning a trip to Chattanooga, Tennessee this summer. That will be the first mountains with this combo but I have towed cargo trailers with a suburban on the Penna. Turnpike before.

I started a thread in the popup section about DIY bike racks for a popup.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #30

My first PUP was a family hand me down. A 1969 Apache that my dad had purchased new. When I bought my new PUP in 2000 I believe it was, a Scamper, by Thor, I was a family of 7 and pulled it with a Suburban. You would be amazed how much you can pack into a folding trailer. Odd thing is, as the kids grew up and moved out, the size of our campers got larger, not smaller.
Whatever you end up with, you will have a great time and build incredible memories in it.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #31

I have just returned from my third trip with the 16XRB, towing with a Ford Edge and an Equilizer E2 WD hitch and anti-sway. I think that setup makes a huge difference. When big rigs pass by on the road there is no effect on sway. Coming from a popup I can definitely tell the TT is back there. I think it must be the additional 1,000 lbs and wind drag as opposed to the popup which was 1,700 dry/unloaded and low profile.

My new 16XRB I bought in February this year weighs 2832 according to the yellow sticker. The Ford tow rating is 3500 lbs. and I think the hitch weight is 350 lbs. While I do not overload the TT with stuff and it is just me and a 30 lb dog I travel with, I can tell I am at the top end of what I can tow with the Edge capabilities. That said, going up moderate inclines wasn't too bad and I didn't feel "bogged down".

Adding family members and their "stuff" would definitely put me over the Edge (capabilities), literally.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspooley View Post
I have just returned from my third trip with the 16XRB, towing with a Ford Edge and an Equilizer E2 WD hitch and anti-sway. I think that setup makes a huge difference. When big rigs pass by on the road there is no effect on sway. Coming from a popup I can definitely tell the TT is back there. I think it must be the additional 1,000 lbs and wind drag as opposed to the popup which was 1,700 dry/unloaded and low profile.

My new 16XRB I bought in February this year weighs 2832 according to the yellow sticker. The Ford tow rating is 3500 lbs. and I think the hitch weight is 350 lbs. While I do not overload the TT with stuff and it is just me and a 30 lb dog I travel with, I can tell I am at the top end of what I can tow with the Edge capabilities. That said, going up moderate inclines wasn't too bad and I didn't feel "bogged down".

Adding family members and their "stuff" would definitely put me over the Edge (capabilities), literally.
So based on your experience with the edge, it sounds like I would be ok with this trailer given the right set-up as far as sway etc.? We really like the 16xrb but obviously we'll need to shop around and take a look at all of the ones we're interested in. I'm trying to think of all the stuff we would pack in the trailer. Maybe we should make a list of what we would take on a typical trip and add up the weight to get a better idea of the cargo.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #33

By the way, I had my brand new PUP for one year. It was really great but too much hassle to set up and take down by this single female with spine issues. Of course you have family members that can help you so that's a plus.

Also, the bathroom!!!!!! Oh the joy of the 16XRB! The ladies especially will very much appreciate having it, plus a door for privacy. I know PUP models are available with toilets but often they are the cassette type you have to empty often. When I had my PUP I used a porta potty with a trash bag and kitty litter. Effective, but not the best comfort-wise in the middle of the night. In my PUP there was no private place to use it so if I had guests sleeping in the PUP with me it would have been awkward. If you haven't checked out my posts and photos on the 16XRB here I hope you will.

Whatever you decide good luck and I know you'll make the right choice for you and your family. You can't do too much research, so good for you!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #34

IMO, if your tow rating is 5,000 you'd still be good, especially with the WDH/antisway.
I'd just choose what you bring wisely as far as extras, which you are already well aware of.

I love the 2 year warranty - other manufacturers offer 1 year only.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspooley View Post
By the way, I had my brand new PUP for one year. It was really great but too much hassle to set up and take down by this single female with spine issues. Of course you have family members that can help you so that's a plus.

Also, the bathroom!!!!!! Oh the joy of the 16XRB! The ladies especially will very much appreciate having it, plus a door for privacy. I know PUP models are available with toilets but often they are the cassette type you have to empty often. When I had my PUP I used a porta potty with a trash bag and kitty litter. Effective, but not the best comfort-wise in the middle of the night. In my PUP there was no private place to use it so if I had guests sleeping in the PUP with me it would have been awkward. If you haven't checked out my posts and photos on the 16XRB here I hope you will.

Whatever you decide good luck and I know you'll make the right choice for you and your family. You can't do too much research, so good for you!
Yea I was looking at your other threads and starting to convince myself I think we can do it. I saw you're in SoCal, how does the Edge pull over the Vine? Or do you even go that route? I'm mainly concerned with pulling into the Sierra Foothills. I can't remember the elevations we go up to, but if you're familiar with the Sierras we go to Bass Lake & Dodge Ridge areas at least 2x/yr. Sometimes to Pismo going over the coast mountains. Those are my main concerns.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #36

Actually I will be going over the grapevine in May to Camp James near Bakersfield and then again in June on my way to northern CA and Hendy Woods through mountains so I will let you know how that goes. I have a feeling that I may feel bogged down going over the grapevine. I like to follow big rigs so I can go slow.
My first two trips were at Dockweiler beach - flat and 5 mins from my house near LAX. The 2nd trip at Prado was in Chino and was mostly flat getting to and from there.
This last trip to and from San Diego had inclines along the 5 in Del Mar and again going over the Coronado Bay bridge, so those were short spurts of incline, if that makes sense.

Being new at towing - you'll get the hang of it! Because you are so conscientious in your research I know you'll be a great "tower". When I bought my PUP I drove off the RV lot never having towed before. What a scary thing, but look at me now! And, I am getting better at backing it up. It just take lots of practice. You will make mistakes and EVERYONE does when they are new. But after you've had a TT or PUP for awhile, you'll have the experience and will be able to share with subsequent newbies.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #37

Great thanks for the encouragement! Looking forward to checking some of these out. I'll keep an eye out on your threads as well. Hopefully soon we'll be posting our first "We got a trailer!" thread lol
Old 04-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #38

We used to tow an 18 foot Takena trailer with our ford escape that had a 3500lb tow capacity.
We did not tow for extreme distances, or through the mountains and never had any issues with just a WD hitch and no sway control.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
It's all good.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #40
Site Team

Glad to see this thread is back on track and topic.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote