Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #41

I'm looking at my vehicle sticker and it says I have Trailer Sway Control. Can someone explain this to me as it applies to my vehicle? Also, from what I've read, the tow package for my TV includes a transmission cooler. With this addition, does this sway anyone's opinion on me being able to pull a 16xrb into the mountains? I'm trying to remember, but I want to say there was a few spots where we go that had 6-7% grades. Thanks.
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #42

Actually I was able to find out about the Trailer Sway Control bit. Any thoughts on the transmission cooler?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #43

The transmission cooler may not be adequate. Is it just the one integrated into the radiator or is it a separate unit?

Looking at the specs of the Explorer, I would say you are within limits to tow the 16XRB as long as you use WDH and make sure the frontal area is 40 sq.ft. or less. Load lightly and have fun! I can only say for the longer grades, you may struggle but if you keep the speeds down and keep it in a lower gear and use the engine power, you'll be ok.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
The transmission cooler may not be adequate. Is it just the one integrated into the radiator or is it a separate unit?

Looking at the specs of the Explorer, I would say you are within limits to tow the 16XRB as long as you use WDH and make sure the frontal area is 40 sq.ft. or less. Load lightly and have fun! I can only say for the longer grades, you may struggle but if you keep the speeds down and keep it in a lower gear and use the engine power, you'll be ok.
I want to say it's a separate unit but not 100% sure. I'll have to check it out when I get home tonight (wife has it at work) or call Ford. As far as the frontal area, is there a specific formula for a trailer? Or is as simple as height*width/12" = sq. ft? (I suck at math lol)
Old 04-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #45

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! ((Cheering you on!))
Old 04-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
I want to say it's a separate unit but not 100% sure. I'll have to check it out when I get home tonight (wife has it at work) or call Ford. As far as the frontal area, is there a specific formula for a trailer? Or is as simple as height*width/12" = sq. ft? (I suck at math lol)
Manufacturers will say that the factory cooling system will work fine, but heat is the enemy. Where heat is generated is when the transmission constantly shifts. That will most certainly occur towing the 16xrb on hills and in high winds. Of course you can mitigate that by slowing down a bit and keeping the trans locked in gear for longer periods of time. but I would say that since you are considering the larger trailer, an axillary cooler is cheap insurance.

You'll have to check with Ford about frontal area limitations. Sometimes manufacturers put in the manual, more often they don't.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
You'll have to check with Ford about frontal area limitations. Sometimes manufacturers put in the manual, more often they don't.
The towing guide suggests 40 sq. ft. Which seems almost impossible to find one that isn't a popup. If I'm doing the math correctly, the 16xrb is around 70sq. ft. 85"w (7.08')* 117"h(9.75') = 69.03 sq. ft. Unless Ford uses different #s somehow.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #48

Does the frontal area include the area directly behind the TV as the TV breaks the wind for that area or does it include the full front of the TT? I don't know but would like to in case we ever upgrade to a TT.

@DocBrown: Chuck, I checked the owners manual for my Trailblazer but couldn't find information about that. I know you used to tow your X20E with one. Any idea about frontal area limitations on the Trailblazer? I know I don't have a problem now with the popup but would like to know in case we decide to upgrade before we change tow vehicles.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #49

Yep, can't change the math. It is what it is. Sorry to hear that. All the other numbers work for you.

So what Ford is saying is that the vehicle can't handle towing a box down the road without causing excessive wear.

On the other hand, if your trips are short...

Doesn't Ford have some advertising showing a late model Explorer towing a travel trailer?

EDIT: @Scott, I could never find any info on it for the Trailblazer either. I'm sure there is a spec, but since those are full framed trucks I'm thinking its a reasonable number. Lots and lots of people tow travel trailers with GMT 360/370 series trucks. It towed the X20E like a dream when empty (4100# according to the yellow sticker), but really pushed the limits when loaded and with 3 adults in the truck.

Also my understanding is that its the full front of the trailer that's taken into account.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Does the frontal area include the area directly behind the TV as the TV breaks the wind for that area or does it include the full front of the TT? I don't know but would like to in case we ever upgrade to a TT.
I have no idea. The towing guide doesn't specify. My explorer frontal area is about 42 sq. ft. Given that, if Ford only considers the area outside of my TV, then I'd be only 27 sq. ft frontal area. I'd be interested in knowing if this is correctly calculated.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #51

We had pretty much your same fight... Our TV would only pull about 3500 lbs. So we kept compromising on what to get.. At some point I realized that we would not be happy with a compromise. If I am going to spend the money get what I want. (Within reason of course). I had sold my popup for about 2500.00 and another item for about 1500. That 4k was going to be our down payment.. We ended up buying a used yukon for about 7k cash and had to finance the TT for a few years longer than we wanted. But in the end we ended up with the camper that we all wanted and couldn't be happier. Plus my two boys just turned 16 and will be starting drivers ed soon so we would have had to find a 3rd vehicle anyway...

I guess in short.. Keep looking and coming up with ways around.. Don't spend the money on something that is ok.. You will not be happy...

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
We had pretty much your same fight... Our TV would only pull about 3500 lbs. So we kept compromising on what to get.. At some point I realized that we would not be happy with a compromise. If I am going to spend the money get what I want. (Within reason of course). I had sold my popup for about 2500.00 and another item for about 1500. That 4k was going to be our down payment.. We ended up buying a used yukon for about 7k cash and had to finance the TT for a few years longer than we wanted. But in the end we ended up with the camper that we all wanted and couldn't be happier. Plus my two boys just turned 16 and will be starting drivers ed soon so we would have had to find a 3rd vehicle anyway...

I guess in short.. Keep looking and coming up with ways around.. Don't spend the money on something that is ok.. You will not be happy...
Believe me, I've thought about this over and over. A new TV just isn't in the cards right now no matter how we swing our finances. I've tried lol. The wife wants a TT for our next trip, so this is the only option right now. As a matter of fact, I just mentioned it again to her this morning that maybe we should just hold off until we can get at least an F150. Her thought is why, when we can get a trailer that we can pull now, and get my truck when finances are better. Her thinking is that the trailer we get will be with us for awhile, and it fits our current needs. My stepson is graduating in 3 years and he'll be off to college, so it'll fit our needs in the future as well. As it is now, he prefers a tent with his cousins and friends anyways. I guess it makes sense, but a better TV would just make alot of my concerns go away lol.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #53

Have you given any consideration on renting for a few years? May not be a perfect fit, but it might give you the time to see what you like / don't like and save up for the F150... Just thinkin out loud...

I even looked into upgrading my trucks V6 to a V8, but that was going to cost more than a used SUV..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Have you given any consideration on renting for a few years? May not be a perfect fit, but it might give you the time to see what you like / don't like and save up for the F150... Just thinkin out loud...

I even looked into upgrading my trucks V6 to a V8, but that was going to cost more than a used SUV..
It was suggested by a friend but I never really looked into it. The problem with renting, at least for us, is the location of the rental. It's like 2 hours away.

Edit: At least the one he suggested. Never really looked into it otherwise.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #55

How about renting a truck? I think either Hertz or Budget has a truck rental service. Not the regular rental though. You can get a 1/2 ton to rent, but they don't allow you to tow with it.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #56

I hadn't considered renting a truck before. Just doesn't seem right nor had I thought about it for our purposes. I actually am starting to think we'll be fine with the current TV and the 16xrb. I think with some careful planning we should be an l e to keep th e weights down and be fine.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #57

If you ever rent a truck, make sure you check the receiver before you leave the lot. My dad has rented trucks his entire career and he uses a pin lock in the receivers of the trucks in his fleets so they cant be towed with. And don't even think about cutting the lock off, your credit card you used to secure the rental doesn't have a limit high enough to pay the fee.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
If you ever rent a truck, make sure you check the receiver before you leave the lot. My dad has rented trucks his entire career and he uses a pin lock in the receivers of the trucks in his fleets so they cant be towed with. And don't even think about cutting the lock off, your credit card you used to secure the rental doesn't have a limit high enough to pay the fee.
Thanks I'll keep this in mind.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #59

I agree with Bob 2.

When we had a Dodge Durango we got Pop-up.
Then a Nissan Titan, got a 30 foot TT.
Now with F350, we just picked up our 36 foot FW-TRAILER.
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #60

Well I know at some time in the future (I'm hoping within 2 years) we'll be able to get a new TV. I've been missing my truck and will be looking at them again soon hopefully.