Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #1

New to towing, have some questions

Hey all! My family goes camping quite a bit and we've decided that it's a good time to look into trailers. We're really interested in the 2014 Jay Feather SLX 16XRB but I'm not 100% sure our vehicle can tow it so I'm doing a bunch of research.

We have a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT with a class III tow package, up 5000 lbs and a hitch weight of 500 lbs. My GVWR is 6120 lbs. According to these specs:

Specification Description
Length 18'4"
Width 7'1"
Height 9'9"
Interior Height 6'6"
Hitch Weight 315 lbs
Dry Weight 2,575 lbs
Gross Weight 3,500 lbs
Cargo Weight 925 lbs
Fresh Water Capacity 26 gals
Grey Water Capacity 15 gals
Black Water Capacity 9 gals
Sleeps Up To 6
Interior Color Harvest

It would appear that my vehicle would be ok to tow this trailer, but in my research, it appears there's more #'s (as in weight) I need to take in consideration. Is it pretty cut & dry as far as weights go ie. the trailer is 3500 lbs and my max is 5000 lbs therefore I would be good to go or is there something else I need to look into? Thanks.
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #2

The only issue I have comes from experience with Explorers but eariler ones than yours. Short wheel-based vehicles need the best sway control hitches. Sway tends to transfer into the vehicle more when the wheel base is reduced.

As far as additional weight goes that's up to you. How many people in the vehicle. You can pull the TT dry (no water) but you will need stuff for camping, how much depends on you. You can make an estimate and then go back and do the numbers.

You in the truck and nothing in the trailer and you are good to go. How much you intend to change that by adding people and stuff is something you need to work out.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #3

With that tow vehicle I would highly recommend a pop up camper. You will be able to tow that with family and gear with no problem. Had one for years that I pulled with my S-10 Blazer. Not a bad way to camp at all. Sometimes I miss that little trailer.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #4

Thanks.

@Mike - Well with passengers and cargo in the vehicle, I'm estimating an additional 700lbs. As far as cargo in the trailer, I have no idea. We don't have much, but I'm well aware that as time goes on, we'd find stuff to pack into the trailer that we'd like to take camping with us.

@Bob - I was also looking at pop ups and the weights on some of them are about the same. Of course we're looking at the ones we "want", so, back to the drawing board looking for something lighter lol

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #5

I would say that in almost ever case I can remember, when somone is adding up the numbers to see how much TT they can tow with current vehicle, they end up with a bigger truck soon after they purchase the TT. Then they decide they can now pull a bigger camper and......you see the circle of lost money here. One day you are straining to pull a small camper and the next day the big diesel looks odd pulling the little camper......

The reason a popup even of the same weight might be a better choice is wind resistance and lower center of gravity. They pull very different from a 9 foot camper.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
snip...... the trailer is 3500 lbs and my max is 5000 lbs therefore I would be good to go or is there something else I need to look into? Thanks.
Welcome to JOF

Just a couple of things to be aware of:

* The "loaded" tongue weight is subtracted for your TV's "available" payload capacity (TV supports tongue weight).

* Recommended "loaded" tongue weight to be 10% to 15% of a trailer's actual or estimated "loaded" weight.

* Published TV Tow Ratings aren't "actual": http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3866

* Jayco published UVW's are not ship weights, refer to yellow sticker on the trailer for actual UVW (ship weight is heavier, amount depends on model).

Often a TV may have an attractive Tow Rating, but in many cases it's the limited (or available) Payload Capacity that limits the size/weight of the trailer selection.

If you want to minimize the guesswork, take your Explorer to a CAT scale (easy process, $9) and weigh it under "loaded" conditions (full fuel, passengers, cargo). Subtract the CAT scale weight from the GVWR noted on your TV's driver's door, the remaining weight (payload capacity) is what you have for a trailer's "loaded" tongue weight and any other weight not account for at the CAT scale.

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #7

As said above, a pop up will pull so much easier than a TT with your rig. Just passing on my experience's through the years. We started with a trailer that fit our towing abilities, and worked up from there.
I will also add that for the most part, a pop up is quite a bit cheaper than most TT's. Again, from my experience, your first trailer will very likely not be your last. The more you use it, the more you will learn what you want to get when you step up to your 2nd trailer. Pretty soon you are shopping again. And so on and on and on........ I know that those of you who have been RV'ers for a while know exactly what I'm talking about.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #8

Thanks for everyone's insights, I really do appreciate it. Safety, not only for my family, but also for others on the road is my utmost concern, which is why I've been doing research and asking questions. These are all good points to consider and read up on and I'm very glad I joined up and asked!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
As said above, a pop up will pull so much easier than a TT with your rig. Just passing on my experience's through the years. We started with a trailer that fit our towing abilities, and worked up from there.
I will also add that for the most part, a pop up is quite a bit cheaper than most TT's. Again, from my experience, your first trailer will very likely not be your last. The more you use it, the more you will learn what you want to get when you step up to your 2nd trailer. Pretty soon you are shopping again. And so on and on and on........ I know that those of you who have been RV'ers for a while know exactly what I'm talking about.
Are you recommending a PUP due to the weight of them or because their lower center of gravity and less wind resistant? Just curious because we also looked at a PUP but it's GVWR is 3230lbs.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #10

I'll present a different point of view. You did right by looking at the GVWR of the trailer. When all is said and done, its best to plan on the max weight you will be towing. Over the years I have towed twice at very close to my limits. Each time for a year or so. Its very doable if you plan carefully and understand your limits. Unless there is something I'm missing here, you are not at your limits. I think you have more than enough margin.

You haven't said how many are in your family. That's important. As the kids grow, so will your needs change. Usually that more trailer and more truck to pull it with.

Yet, a pop-up is fine! We used one for 10 years. Then we got a small hybrid and used that for 10 years. No reason to hop on the "upgrade" bandwagon every time someone says you should. There's a lot to be said for not having payments after you've had something for a while. Fun can be had with a tent, so do what's best for your family, for your wallet, and for your comfort and safety.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #11

Quote:
The more you use it, the more you will learn what you want to get when you step up to your 2nd trailer. Pretty soon you are shopping again. And so on and on and on........ I know that those of you who have been RV'ers for a while know exactly what I'm talking about.
Actually I don't. We've had each of our trailers for 10 years and plan to keep the current one at least as long. Everything you buy is a compromise. So you have to be disciplined and learn to live with what you have. Unless of course you have an unlimited supply of money and trading up every couple of years is like buying new pants for you...
Old 04-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I'll present a different point of view. You did right by looking at the GVWR of the trailer. When all is said and done, its best to plan on the max weight you will be towing. Over the years I have towed twice at very close to my limits. Each time for a year or so. Its very doable if you plan carefully and understand your limits. Unless there is something I'm missing here, you are not at your limits. I think you have more than enough margin.

You haven't said how many are in your family. That's important. As the kids grow, so will your needs change. Usually that more trailer and more truck to pull it with.

Yet, a pop-up is fine! We used one for 10 years. Then we got a small hybrid and used that for 10 years. No reason to hop on the "upgrade" bandwagon every time someone says you should. There's a lot to be said for not having payments after you've had something for a while. Fun can be had with a tent, so do what's best for your family, for your wallet, and for your comfort and safety.
Well our family consists of me and my wife, my 15 yr old step son and our 4 yr old daughter. My step son is quickly approaching 200lbs, myself about 190, the wife about the same and my daughter is about 50. Honestly, I'm starting to lean towards a PUP now. Sure the trailer is nice, but I'd rather not be close to my max with no experience towing. I can see how a PUP would be easier, and, when I gain more experience (confidence), a truck and trailer can be had at that time. The other thing is, once my step son graduates and goes to college, who knows if we'll even need a trailer by then, where a PUP will suffice now and then. Now to convince the wife lol
Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #13

Given your family, the PUP is a good choice.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Are you recommending a PUP due to the weight of them or because their lower center of gravity and less wind resistant? Just curious because we also looked at a PUP but it's GVWR is 3230lbs.
All of the above. They are just super easy to pull, park, setup and store. Just a great way to get started.

Doc, most folks don't hang onto an RV for more than 5 years. You are kind of the odd duck when it comes to hanging on for 10 years or so. I had our PUP for 4 years and my two Jayco TT's for 2 years each before hanging onto my toyhauler for 5 years. Not looking for lectures about discipline, as my finances are nobody's business but mine.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #15

I'm with Doc on this one. With a teenager and hopefully college coming up, and a young girl, I would not want to take such a hit later if i found the PUP was not big enough, or not what I wanted to start with. It's just too expensive. If you like the one you are looking at, and properly maintain it, getting 10 or more years of use is not out of the question.

I think you have some margin left, but will really need a good sway control hitch. You will also need to think about what you are taking with you. Also, make sure you don't have P rated tires on the Explorer. Don't plan on taking firewood with you, and pack what you can in the RV and you would have no problems.

I would also go with the understanding that when it's time to retire the Ford, don't plan on getting anything smaller for saving gas, or a cheaper price. If you like to camp, and plan on doing for a while, don't plan on down grading on your vehicle.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #16

From looking at the specs you should be OK. Yes a pup is much easier to tow but also harder to set up had one for a few years. Don't take every thing you own along and invest in a good WDH with sway as was previously stated also don't forget about a quality brake control. Have a great time and welcome to the fourm. Had to add on to this one with a 16 year old, yes they will be headed of on there own soon but with a 4 year old you will be using this trailer for a long time. Our pup was great but what sent us to a TT was space for storage a bathroom with shower an the ease of not having to set up and tear down in the rain. As far as getting use to towing it is not a tremendous learning curve now storing a TT is another matter we we're able to stir the TT in the summertime in the back driveway unfortunately not the trailer. For use with a 4 year old (now 8 ) a TT was better option Think long term
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #17

The other option is to talk the DW into a new truck.....

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #18

Well right now we're still looking at the Jayco, but we're also looking into a few PUPs. It's tough though. The PUPs we like are just a few hundred pounds less than the hybrid lol. I know the weight makes a huge difference and with me never towing before, we're pretty torn.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Well right now we're still looking at the Jayco, but we're also looking into a few PUPs. It's tough though. The PUPs we like are just a few hundred pounds less than the hybrid lol. I know the weight makes a huge difference and with me never towing before, we're pretty torn.

The profile is what makes towing the PUP so nice. A travel trailer(even a hybrid) is like a big brick pushing through the air. The popup has a much smaller profile. It could be heavier than the hybrid, and you would get better mileage out of it.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #20

Quote:

Doc, most folks don't hang onto an RV for more than 5 years. You are kind of the odd duck when it comes to hanging on for 10 years or so. I had our PUP for 4 years and my two Jayco TT's for 2 years each before hanging onto my toyhauler for 5 years. Not looking for lectures about discipline, as my finances are nobody's business but mine.
Then please be careful about advising people to get deeper into dept every 2 years just to keep up with the upgrade cycle that everyone seems to go through.