Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hd View Post
He will be right at his payload limits with a Nissan and then in a few years when hes ready for a bigger trailer he will have to buy another truck again because the Nissan is still just a half ton on steroids with a low payload and a lightweight chassis.

I agree that payload on a Titan XD is not what it is on a 3/4 or 1 ton, but The XD chassis is not a "lightweight" chassis. It's based on their commercial 1 ton NV chassis and it's evident in how much it weighs that it's not lightweight both figuratively and literally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andersen Ultimate 5ver Hitch
bzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:31 AM   #22

My old truck was a little Nissan, it was the most reliable vehicle I ever owned... stick with the best truck, not a brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaxDude View Post
I think my truck is too big for what I need... SAID NO ONE EVER! Stick with one of the big 3 and don't look back!
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #23

I had a Nissan as well but it was a grocery getter/transportation to work vehical inherited from my father. It was never intended to tow more than a single axle boat trailer. We've always had a 2500 or a dually for big trailers. I'm not saying the nissans aren't great but generally I see them as a sport truck for the guy who doesn't want a "truck truck" but still want to run down to home depot and put 10 bags of mulch or concrete in the back twice a year. Generally speaking those are the folks who buy them. They want just enough truck.

At the end of the day we all do what we think is right or know is right. I could go on and on for hours with this.

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #24

Just so we are all on the same page, you do know they came out with what is best described as a 5/8ths ton with the 5L Cummins diesel. Not a 3/4 ton but a decent upgrade to a half ton.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #25

Quote:
I think my truck is too big for what I need... SAID NO ONE EVER! Stick with one of the big 3 and don't look back!
This.....
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #26

I don't think anyone is knocking the Nissan or it's capabilities. We are only suggesting that folks need to think about future needs.
Instead of me saying to stick with the big 3, perhaps I should have suggested to stick with a 2500/F250 and up.

2020 Dynamax DX3 Super C
SOLD - 2017 Ford F-450 KR Ultimate, Bronze Fire
SOLD - 2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH
USAF Retired / 1988-2012
SmokinJoe747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzeller View Post
Just so we are all on the same page, you do know they came out with what is best described as a 5/8ths ton with the 5L Cummins diesel. Not a 3/4 ton but a decent upgrade to a half ton.

It would not make much difference to me chevy and ford have always experimented with Heavy halftons and light 3/4 tons in a lot of variations. I have had a few and they all performed well. But they had limitations. If I already had a "super half ton" I would use it and make due with it. But If I was buying a truck with the intended purpose of towing an 8,10,12 thousand pound trailer I would buy a full blown truck. All the new trucks are huge compared to what they used to be so size really make no difference maybe 4in in height. Most of the time there is no real cost difference and in a lot of cases the loaded half tons are more expensive than a modestly equipped 3/4ton.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #28

Quote:
I don't think anyone is knocking the Nissan or it's capabilities. We are only suggesting that folks need to think about future needs.
Instead of me saying to stick with the big 3, perhaps I should have suggested to stick with a 2500/F250 and up.

I didn't take your comment that way. I agree, if you anticipate purchasing a big fifth wheel requiring that 2500+ lbs payload then 2500/250 and up is really your only choice. The OP is currently pulling a 28' TT and maybe considering a future 5ver. If he determines the 5ver is never gonna happen or happen on his next vehicle, the Titan XD is an awesome option.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:11 PM   #29
bap

You are all missing that the OP wants to put a snowplow on his truck on top of towing with it. He really needs a 2500 or heavier to properly handle a snowplow. A half ton can take a plow but not as well and smaller. Narrower plows lead to crushed rocket panels when the path you plow is no wider than your truck. He stated he wanted to choose between a 2500 or 3500 not a 1500. So why are people posting he should be looking at half tons or wannabe three quarter tons. Stick with what he is asking. A gas truck will work fine and will handle a plow good because the engine is lighter.
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #30

Quote:
It would not make much difference to me chevy and ford have always experimented with Heavy halftons and light 3/4 tons in a lot of variations. I have had a few and they all performed well. But they had limitations. If I already had a "super half ton" I would use it and make due with it. But If I was buying a truck with the intended purpose of towing an 8,10,12 thousand pound trailer I would buy a full blown truck. All the new trucks are huge compared to what they used to be so size really make no difference maybe 4in in height. Most of the time there is no real cost difference and in a lot of cases the loaded half tons are more expensive than a modestly equipped 3/4ton.

I like my creature comforts and I like the way a diesel tows vs the constant shifting and screaming a gasser tends to do with 8K - 12K behind it. So I purchased a Platinum Reserve Titan XD diesel for $47.5K OTD. An equivalent 3/4 ton diesel would be $10K+ more from the big three unless I went with a lower optioned vehicle, but then I'm giving up features I appreciate. Oh, and for that 10K less I'm getting essentially the same Aisin tranny in the 1 ton Ram, 1 ton Nissan commercial frame and axle, massive braking on par with almost any HD platform out there, and Cummins diesel. Again, is it for everyone, no, but I do feel it's a viable option for those towing 8K-12K with 2Kish payloads, especially at the savings over similarly optioned HD from the big three.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
You are all missing that the OP wants to put a snowplow on his truck on top of towing with it. He really needs a 2500 or heavier to properly handle a snowplow. A half ton can take a plow but not as well and smaller. Narrower plows lead to crushed rocket panels when the path you plow is no wider than your truck. He stated he wanted to choose between a 2500 or 3500 not a 1500. So why are people posting he should be looking at half tons or wannabe three quarter tons. Stick with what he is asking. A gas truck will work fine and will handle a plow good because the engine is lighter.

He plows some driveways. The point is maybe he wasn't aware of an option between a 1500 and 2500. If you're using a sledge hammer to drive finish nails I'll tell you about a different tool you could use.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzeller View Post
I like my creature comforts and I like the way a diesel tows vs the constant shifting and screaming a gasser tends to do with 8K - 12K behind it. So I purchased a Platinum Reserve Titan XD diesel for $47.5K OTD. An equivalent 3/4 ton diesel would be $10K+ more from the big three unless I went with a lower optioned vehicle, but then I'm giving up features I appreciate. Oh, and for that 10K less I'm getting essentially the same Aisin tranny in the 1 ton Ram, 1 ton Nissan commercial frame and axle, massive braking on par with almost any HD platform out there, and Cummins diesel. Again, is it for everyone, no, but I do feel it's a viable option for those towing 8K-10K with 2Kish payloads, especially at the savings over similarly optioned HD from the big three.

For those who understand no explaination is needed. For those who don't understand no explaination will do.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #33

Quote:
For those who understand no explaination is needed. For those who don't understand no explaination will do.
LOL, since I've owned both a '15 2500 HD Dmax and a '16 Nissan Titan XD, I'd say this may be a case of the pot calling the kettle black.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by whjake View Post
I want to thank everyone for there in put. After spending 3 hours at the dealer going back and forth between 2500 and 3500. The only real difference between the 2 was 800lbs in payload. Towing was about the same. Talking with dw, a srw 2500 (gas) will get us through the next bunch of years. At that point i will have 2 young teenager and I am going to need a 1ton drw to tow trailer with separate rooms.
Congrats on the new truck! Now you have to post pictures of it.