Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2016, 06:49 AM   #21

I really appreciate all you for all of the information you have given me. It has been a big help. Thank you, and I have been reading it everyday, I just haven't gotten back with a response yet.

My factory tongue weight is listed as 470# for the 23MB. My total family weight is 725#. I haven't been to a CAT scale yet to get the weight of my camper with gear loaded onto it. I'm just guessing right now at 500 extra pounds in the camper. That would make the camper weight around 5400#. The WDH I got from the RV dealer is a Husky Centerline TS with the 800# bars. It must be 100# or so by itself.

My family tends to pack heavily too. 2 teenagers like the bikes, misc. gear, probably will have a fair amount of firewood, hiking and fishing gear, grill,etc. I also ordered 2 Yamaha 2000 generators for parallel use when dry camping. I know they are around 100#.

From everyones comments and looking at what we will likely be taking, I too am thinking I should look at 3/4 ton pickups. I have been to the big 3 dealers looking, and the most payload I have found so far on a 1/2 ton is a new ford, which had the door sticker listed as 1551 as a max payload. Most others I have seen have a fair bit less.

I can't get brand new, but probably a fairly recent p/u with lower miles. Right now my head is swimming!
PA23mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA23mb View Post
I really appreciate all you for all of the information you have given me. It has been a big help. Thank you, and I have been reading it everyday, I just haven't gotten back with a response yet.

My factory tongue weight is listed as 470# for the 23MB. My total family weight is 725#. I haven't been to a CAT scale yet to get the weight of my camper with gear loaded onto it. I'm just guessing right now at 500 extra pounds in the camper. That would make the camper weight around 5400#. The WDH I got from the RV dealer is a Husky Centerline TS with the 800# bars. It must be 100# or so by itself.

My family tends to pack heavily too. 2 teenagers like the bikes, misc. gear, probably will have a fair amount of firewood, hiking and fishing gear, grill,etc. I also ordered 2 Yamaha 2000 generators for parallel use when dry camping. I know they are around 100#.

From everyones comments and looking at what we will likely be taking, I too am thinking I should look at 3/4 ton pickups. I have been to the big 3 dealers looking, and the most payload I have found so far on a 1/2 ton is a new ford, which had the door sticker listed as 1551 as a max payload. Most others I have seen have a fair bit less.

I can't get brand new, but probably a fairly recent p/u with lower miles. Right now my head is swimming!
You can find an 2011-2015 F150 w/ the EcoBoost engine for a decent price. We have two on our lot now. We have a 2015 Ecoboost with 19K miles for 30k. A 2014 Limited Crew w/ Ecoboost 66K for 31K. They're out there,
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:33 AM   #23

1/2 ton will be just fine.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

My new tundra with the Max. Payload/Towing pkg. has a payload of 2060lbs.
Tow rating 10,500

2016 was ~$39000 out the door.

I seen a Ford Ecoboost 150 test on Youtube that was impressive.
Gas mileage was not all that different and the dual turbo's scared me away.

FYI,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #25

PA,

Your "brochure" dry tw of 470lbs is actually about 600lbs with the 2-20lb propane tanks (you have 20lb tanks, correct?) and a battery on the tongue before loading anything else in the tt.

Based on everything you listed, let's just say 700lbs for tw.

tw- 700
Pass- 725
Wdh- 100
Gen- 100
Wood-150
Rest (bikes + ???)- 100

You are at about 1875lbs estimated. Very, very few 150/1500 trucks will have that high of a payload. The F150 w/ max tow and HD payload, probably the max tow GM Twins, and as Doug posted, the new Tundra that is properly equipped.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #26

There is a distinct difference in towing something and safely towing something. I have done both over the years. I've had trailers that I towed overloaded and have learned some valuable lessons from this.

Simply stated from experience you know it alls can cut my post to pieces I don't care. I've had an overloaded trailer loose control and push a 1/2 ton truck into the oncoming lane, thankfully nobody was coming the other way. Just because a decal says a truck will pull 8800 lbs does Not mean it will pull it safely or stop it safely.

I've had trailer brakes fail and push a 1/2 ton truck through a intersection. I have moved up to the 3/4 ton truck and I had trailer brakes fail with it too. The larger brakes, weight, and upgraded suspension all helped stop my trailer when my brand new Tenkosha brake controller failed.

That happened on a Sunday in Pensacola, Fla. I called my Good Sam roadside service, which sent me a 40 mile trip to a small RV shop in Alabama. The mechanic came out opened the shop and replaced my controller with a brand new one.

He told me Tenkosha had a run of Prodigy controllers that had a bad board, mine was one of the serial numbers in that lot. There are more factors to consider than just payload and tongue weight. When you add that half a cord of firewood, generator, bikes, propane, etc.

I'm not saying you'll have a trailer brake failure, but what if you do? It is a fact called inertia that a heavily loaded trailer will push a truck when stopping. What happens when you hit a bump at a bridge at 55mph and the trailer bounces and starts into a heavy sway? Will the truck have enough control to bring the trailer back into control?
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #27

Thanks to all of you for all the input and information. I've ruled out a half ton and will look for a 3/4. Now, I have to figure out which one. I've been looking at all makes, but I am partial to Mopars. Until I find one, I'll be careful using the Grand Cherokee.
PA23mb is offline   Reply With Quote