Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2018, 01:05 PM   #1

New vehicle to tow

Hi everyone
My first time to post. 😃 We bought a 22 travel trailer I. September. I wanted to start small just to see if I liked it. I amthinking about getting a new vehicle but I want to see about getting a vehicle that would be able to haul if I decide to go larger on a camper. I would like to get a larger camper but no larger than a 30. I have a Toyota Highlander and it pulls my camper. This was another reason to get a smaller camper to stay within the weight. My question is what is a good truck to haul up to a 30 trailer? I know they have different weights but trying to get the maximum and go from there. I do not understand all the differentials, rear end pulls and all that. Thanks for your help.
Cherie
chafin3413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Site Team

First of all, welcome to the forum. The question you asked is one that is really open to opinion since there is such a wide range of trucks and such a wide range of weights and dynamics of a 30' trailer.

My best advice for you is to enjoy your current 22' unit for a while and then decide what you want in your next RV. Then, you can tailor your tow vehicle selection to exactly what your needs are.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:34 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum and all the other stuff that Midnightmoon said, especially the line "... enjoy your current 22' unit for a while and then decide what you want in your next RV."

Since you are new to the forum, start using the search function and just read about various topics that catch your attention. You'll probably learn about stuff that you really didn't know you had questions about.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:34 PM   #4

Cherie you are in for it now........Sounds like you are already hooked and it gets more and more expensive. Most people start out small and then keep upgrading and getting bigger and bigger.

Good Luck!!
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:18 AM   #5

Congratulations and welcome!

Agree with the others, "... enjoy your current 22' unit for a while and then decide what you want in your next RV."

If and when you do decide to go bigger, buy a vehicle that will handle the trailer after that - we made that mistake and it gets expensive. Remember too, bigger isn't always better. We love our Pinnacle, but due to her size there are a number of great campgrounds we can no longer get into.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:30 AM   #6

Welcome and congrats.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #7

Welcome, x2 with the previous posts. We upgraded from a Jayfeather x23b to a Whitehawk 28RL, and yes it does get expensive. Take your time.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #8

Exactly what jasum said!!! X2!!
Enjoy what you got for right now. Do some camping and take walks and/or bike rides thru the campground and see what other people have and stop and talk with them. I never turn down a good chat with someone who stops and asks about my set up.
We started off tent camping, loved it and did it for quite a few years. I remember back then how someday I'd love to have a nice trailer and truck. All of the sudden it's 5 years, 2 trucks and 3 5th wheels later and I realize I got $165k in a truck and trailer and having to book for the much larger and more expensive sites because my trailer won't fit on the smaller sites I, and my friends, were on.
So, to your question of a truck,... in general you buy the horse then you get the carriage. I did just the opposite. Find the largest trailer you would want to get. Look at the overall length and weight and then get the truck (horse) that can pull it SAFELY. Overkill is not a bad thing on the truck end.
Most properly equipped 1/2 ton trucks, Ford F-150, Silverado, Sierra 1500, Ram 1500 will pull a newer 30' travel trailer just fine. If you're looking at 5th wheels, those are a different story. Those generally require 3/4 ton (250/2500) trucks and bigger. However, manufacturers are making nice sized 5th wheels that are 1/2 ton towable. Most people's truck that tows their trailer doubles as their daily driver. Crew cab trucks are almost a necessity if you are towing/camping. And get one with a towing package on it. It will come with a hitch, trailer wiring and towing suspension already put on from the factory.
Everyone's situation is different. Do some homework and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:55 PM   #9

New vehicle to tow

Thanks everyone. I do love my Fat Bottom Girl. I have put a lot into decorating her inside. The gas is not bad nor is fitting into sites. I have been looking at a Eagle 26-28 trailer. I want to stay around 28 due to plans going out west. I am trading my Highlander and I am trying to make sure my “horse “ is suitable if I do upgrade campers. I do not want to be upside down in a vehicle if I had to trade it for one to accommodate a larger camper. I will look at the Eagle’s specs and see what the weight is. Thanks for your wonderful information.
Cherie
chafin3413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:30 PM   #10

I like a 24-26 ft half ton towable. Keep the gross trailer weight under 8k. Half ton trucks have come a long way. I have a F150. Great combo. While you’re camping look around. Keep notes of features you really like or dislike. No rig is perfect but once you’ve decided what’s important to you it makes shopping easier.

Tags
new to this, tow vehicle, tow weight