Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 06:35 AM   #1

Question Newbie: Best truck for towing Eagle MBQS355 long or short bed / 250 or 350

Hello! We’ve just purchased an Eagle 355MBQS and we are making a decision next about which truck we need. We’d like to get a 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 (Details below) short bed with a sliding hitch. We just don’t have a 100% confidence since this is our first time towing an RV. We are looking for advice on whether this is the right choice.

Eagle 355MBQS - GVWR 14,995 lbs
GMC 2500 V8 TurboMax Diesel - GVWR 18,500

Is this the right truck and do we have enough capacity for the sliding hitch plus our family and anything we add into the RV? We are a family of 4 and will not be full timing. Is a short bed also a good choice? So much to consider and would like some owners insights! Thank you!
Dhny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:36 AM   #2

Congratulations and welcome!

My recommendation, based on experience, is to go with the 3500. With the DMAX you’ll run out of payload well before you hit the GVWR of the truck. Also worth considering whether or not you’ll move to a bigger trailer in the future - you don’t want to be changing trucks again too.

As far as SB vs LB, I’ve had both and prefer the LB. Yes, it can be a pain to maneuver at times, but the better ride and not having to worry about the front cap taking out my back window is more than worth the trade off. That said, we had an Eagle with the SB truck and in two years only used the slide twice, and both times to test it, not because I needed it.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:48 AM   #3

First thing I would do with ANY truck I was looking to purchase is check the actual stickers in the driver's door. This has been said here, and many other forums, hundred of times, DO NOT BELIEVE what any dealer tells you about pulling any trailer(frankly they lie). Use the Gross (loaded) weight of the camper, figure 22-25% if that for a pin weight. Then take those numbers to that door sticker. You are looking for payload, axle ratings, etc not just "towing capacity, which would be the most irrelevant of all the numbers. As an example before I bought my 2020 Silverado 2500 I drove one that I loved, until I looked at the stickers. It's payload was 1900 and some change, a hard pass on that one as my pin weight is north of 2500. The truck I ended up with is nearly exactly the same except the payload is 3200+. They are not all the same, it even close.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200318_175114~2.jpg  

Andy, Sherrie, Dixie, and Daisy
2020 Jayco 336FBOK Modern Farmhouse
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax 10 speed GM/ Allison
CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:48 AM   #4

You would be better off with some “real world” weights. But our 5th is about 13k# (last visit to the CAT Scale was 12,700#, 3000# on the pin). With your GVWR just shy of 16k# I expect you are close to (if not in) dually country.
We tow with a ‘13 F350, SRW, 2WD and I believe I’d be over my Rear GAWR somewhere between 15k and 16k#.
Maybe some of the 377 owners will check in on this, I think that unit weighs in the 16k# neighborhood when loaded and I think most are pulling with a dually.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Dhny,

Welcome to JOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhny View Post
snip......

Eagle 355MBQS - GVWR 14,995 lbs
GMC 2500 V8 TurboMax Diesel - GVWR 18,500

Is this the right truck and do we have enough capacity for the sliding hitch plus our family and anything we add into the RV?.........snip
IMO a 1-ton TV would be a much better match for the 355MBQS providing increased payload capacity for the heavier loaded pin weight.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:03 PM   #6

Thank you!

We really appreciate your responses and this feedback. We are definitely going to go with the GMC 3500 (1 ton) given the weight and payload considerations. We still haven’t decided on long bed or dually yet. So many things to consider and we just want to ensure we are safe and also have comfort. We drove the 3500 and you could definitely feel it was a bit stiffer and bumpier. Will this improve with the 5th wheel attached or will one of the longer bed or dually options be best to help improve that bumpier ride feeling?

Again, thank you all for the feedback.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:46 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum and congrats, you made the right choice by going with a 1 ton, now this is my setup but I'm not saying that you should but this setup will give you some ideal when you make a discussion.

Now I'm not saying that you should do this but as you can see that I have the same type of 5th wheel as you have with the front nose with the shape. I have the short bed, I had a slider B&W hitch but I found out that I never use it except just to try it out.

So I bought a non-slider hitch by the same company but that was a little heavy but it's wasn't too bad, I could take it out of my bed but my back will hurt the next day so I bought the Pullrite Superlite hitch and have been happy with it every since.

I advise you to do your homework and what will work best for you, I found that this work best for me.

Good luck and welcome to the forum once again and as you can see in the pics that I can get about 80% turn radius but hopefully I would never have to back up that shape and if I do I will go out and get another angle to back up.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3362.JPG   DSCN3358.JPG   DSCN3359.JPG   DSCN3396.JPG   DSCN3395.JPG  

DSCN3391.JPG   DSCN3402.JPG   DSCN3404.JPG  
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhny View Post
We really appreciate your responses and this feedback. We are definitely going to go with the GMC 3500 (1 ton) given the weight and payload considerations. We still haven’t decided on long bed or dually yet. So many things to consider and we just want to ensure we are safe and also have comfort. We drove the 3500 and you could definitely feel it was a bit stiffer and bumpier. Will this improve with the 5th wheel attached or will one of the longer bed or dually options be best to help improve that bumpier ride feeling?

Again, thank you all for the feedback.

That is because your friends at GM put in the cheapest crappiest shocks ever.. well ford uses them too.. so whatever you buy plan on changing them out for Bilsteins 5100's or something similar... it will be like a truck with manners...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:33 PM   #9

I think that I need to upgrade my shocks for Bilsteins.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #10

I can assure you that you won't be disappointed.. unless you like wheel hop and feeling every crack known to man on a roadway and the pounding of the RR tracks... if you enjoy those then your upgrade will disappoint
Even my dealer service manager called me to ask me what shocks I put in my truck again. After driving mine his mechanic commented on how nice it rode what did I do to it. Then he had a customer come in and complain about the crappy ride... I reminded him and he told the owner who promptly got a new set of 5100's and is now a happy GMC owner....
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #11

It's easy for me (us) to sit here and spend your money, but go big or go home. You've already made the decision to go 3500, smart choice, you might as well spend a little extra and go long bed and dually. Dually towing is SO much more stable in the back. No sway, no wiggle, nothing. That back end is planted firmly on the ground. Yes, it's a little more difficult to use as a daily driver, no more car washes, very few drive thru's at the banks, parking far out in parking lots to stay away from everyone because parking spots are going to be more narrow, etc.... like it's really going to kill you to have to walk into places and walk a little farther and burn off a few of those campfire s'mores calories. Lol! And going dually, a long bed is the only way they come. Compared to a standard bed SRW, it's like 1.5' longer and that makes the difference between a slider hitch or not. The extra length you won't notice driving down the road as a daily driver anyway. Like another poster said if you decide to upgrade your trailer later down the road you'll already have more than enough truck to do it SAFELY.
I can't say how the new 20's ride but my 15 dually rides like a cadillac when its empty and still rides pretty nice when loaded too.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:40 PM   #12

Congratulations

I bought a 2019 355MBQS last year and pull it with a 2013 F350 short box (7-3/4) and Husky sliding hitch.

Never had a problem.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:09 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPD56 View Post
....snip....snip

I bought a 2019 355MBQS last year and pull it with a 2013 F350 short box (7-3/4) and Husky sliding hitch.
I thought the short box was 6 3/4? Mine is. I just bought a 2017 F350 short box. I am going to have a B&W turnover ball attached to a Anderson Ultimate 3220 hitch. The hitch is on backorder until early September.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:05 AM   #14

Sorry you're right.

I've been in a hospital bed since March 3rd, two months of that in a comma.

Woke up and wouldn't believe I have been married for 40 years.

If it ever happens to you. When the doctor tells you your married and have a wife and grandkids, your first question shouldn't be " Doctor, is my wife good looking".

True story

Have a great day.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:47 AM   #15

Update

We ended up going with the short bed GMC 3500 and we are really thrilled with it so far. It has the puck system so we got the auto sliding hitch because we’ve heard from many that this is a good combo. We pick up our new RV next week and cannot wait to take our maiden voyage. We’re so happy we found this forum and for all of your kind and thoughtful responses! Thanks so much for your help! Happy adventures ��
Old 07-31-2020, 09:50 AM   #16

Jeez, sorry to hear this and hope you are on the mend!!
Old 06-18-2021, 09:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats, you made the right choice by going with a 1 ton, now this is my setup but I'm not saying that you should but this setup will give you some ideal when you make a discussion.

Now I'm not saying that you should do this but as you can see that I have the same type of 5th wheel as you have with the front nose with the shape. I have the short bed, I had a slider B&W hitch but I found out that I never use it except just to try it out.

So I bought a non-slider hitch by the same company but that was a little heavy but it's wasn't too bad, I could take it out of my bed but my back will hurt the next day so I bought the Pullrite Superlite hitch and have been happy with it every since.

I advise you to do your homework and what will work best for you, I found that this work best for me.

Good luck and welcome to the forum once again and as you can see in the pics that I can get about 80% turn radius but hopefully I would never have to back up that shape and if I do I will go out and get another angle to back up.
Nice, im about to get one this makes me feel better about my short bed

Tags
5th wheel, eagle 355mbqs, short bed, sliding hitch, truck choices