Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #1

Newbie to the travel trailer life recommendations for tow vehicle for 10k lbs or more

Hello everyone, I just found the forum and decided to sign up and see what recommendations I could get, I know everyone has their own personal opinion, but want to get a general consensus of what everyone recommends as the best tow vehicles for 10k lbs and more. I own a 2005 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 Z71 5.3l V8, which I slammed into a concrete side wall in Maryland on the way to look at the 05 Jay Flight 31BHS which I bought, and managed to tow 200+ miles back above Philadelphia with the Tahoe totalled. I know my Tahoe wouldn't be quite enough to tow it once the trailer and truck were fully loaded up anyway, so I need to find a new truck or SUV that has the ability to tow what we need it to, I'm on a limited budget, and also have to buy some things to update the trailer including some way of powering it when I can't plug it in. So in everyone's opinion, which vehicles should I be looking at that would cost under $9,000, and there is no possibility of being able to finance anything, so I would really appreciate as much info and recommendations of which used vehicles I should focus on, and whether I should go diesel or just big block V8-V10, which older years (2010(or up in my price range) and older) are the best and most reliable, and what mileages to avoid on which ones. Appearance isn't a concern, just structural integrity, drive train power & longevity, and affordability is number one. The Tahoe was the absolute hands down best and most reliable truck I've ever owned at 142k on it and even after the crash it's still running strong with no problems, just the passengers side of the body is wasted, nearly peeled off. I'd love something just as reliable, long lasting, as tough, and easy to maintain, as long as it won't cost me a whole lot to maintain it properly. For the time being I'm not going to have to deal with hills and mountains, but will be within the next year or so, and four wheel drive is a must. Please help a newbie at towing out. I am eagerly awaiting anyone's recommendations. Thank you all in advance,
Rob, Croydon, PA
VvstingervV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you want another SUV? In your price range, how about a Ford Excursion.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:05 PM   #3

That is a sizeable trailer, maybe look around for 2500/250 trucks in your price range?
Campingteacher79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #4

Yeah, the Tahoe pulled it fine empty, but I know I have to upgrade, to a 3/4 ton vehicle, and I've been looking at everything in that size, all the different 2500 series models F-250's, F-350's, Excursions, regular gas, and diesel engines, I was just hoping people could tell me a bit about their past experiences with the larger ones, and which ones were most recommended, through their experiences, to help me narrow down my search, since there are just so many different ones with so many different engines, and which ones seem to stand out above the rest. Trying to make an informed decision and not rely on some salesman feeding me BS just to make a sale. I know if I were shopping for something smaller, I would definitely stick with buying a Chevy/GM with the 5.3L, but I know that engine isn't enough for my future needs, so just hoping for others experiences, to help my decision.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #5

A diesel will boost the price a bit and repairs can be pricey too. If you are a DIY guy then a truck with some problems might be a path in, either gas or diesel. Of course the diesel will tow better but you’re probably ok with a gasser but I expect you are solidly in 3/4T territory.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:40 AM   #6

My first recommendation is to load the camper as you would use it, then take it to a scale get ACCURATE weights, both axle weights and probably more important is an ACCURATE tongue weight. Do not rely on advertised weights of your trailer, or advertised towing capacities and, even more important, payload capacity of any vehicle. You already are a step ahead of the game knowing not to trust any sales person. While they may not all lie to you, it is up to you to do your research, which I commend you for starting by asking first instead of trying to fix a purchase mistake later.

Andy, Sherrie, Dixie, and Daisy
2020 Jayco 336FBOK Modern Farmhouse
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax 10 speed GM/ Allison
CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:42 AM   #7

You may find it hard to find a descent diesel truck under $9k that doesn't need work or has 300,000 miles, at least in my area. Keep in mind that diesel repairs can get pretty costly. We have an 2010 6.4 F-550 at work with less that 100,000 miles and it's already been thru an injector pump ($3200 repair) and just recently a power steering pump ($700 repair). I am fairly mechanically inclined but the Super Duty diesels are difficult to work on...nothing is easily accessible in the engine compartment. If you can find a V-10 Ford or an 8.1 GM that would be great but these are early to mid 2000 era trucks (and the Excursion). An F-250 with the 6.2 gas or a GM 2500HD with the 6.0 gas and 6 speed (avoid the 4 speed, it's just not enough gearing) may also suffice.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #8

Ouch....paragraphs.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:04 PM   #9

Thank you all for the input so far. I was leaning toward diesel but everything is either high mileage or cost a fortune. I've always preferred Chevy and GM's, so I'll probably try finding the lowest mileage vortec 8100, or 6000, even if I have travel a few hundred miles to get it, just finding the right configuration of the truck. I really do appreciate all everyone's input. Thanks a lot.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:52 PM   #10

Sounds you are formulating a plan. Just check those door stickers closely for payload and towing capacity, with the first being more important, IMHO. Most vehicles will run out of payload way before they exceed towing capacity. Be safe, have fun!

Andy, Sherrie, Dixie, and Daisy
2020 Jayco 336FBOK Modern Farmhouse
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax 10 speed GM/ Allison
CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:55 PM   #11
Site Team

If you’re on a tight budget and can’t get financing, I suggest you not even consider a diesel due to the higher purchase price, maintenance and fuel costs. In PA (where you list your location as), you already pay the highest fuel tax in the nation and diesel owners pay another 6 cents per gallon on top of that; and if you have to use that vehicle for more than towing, you’ll cry every time you refuel.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VvstingervV View Post
Thank you all for the input so far. I was leaning toward diesel but everything is either high mileage or cost a fortune. I've always preferred Chevy and GM's, so I'll probably try finding the lowest mileage vortec 8100, or 6000, even if I have travel a few hundred miles to get it, just finding the right configuration of the truck. I really do appreciate all everyone's input. Thanks a lot.
a 7.3 ford diesel maybe a deal otherwise i would suggest a good gas 3/4 ton that has capacity to tow... most diesels before 2006 are free from most of the new EPA stuff.. but they consume payload so a one ton in a diesel is a better option...

a good v10 or v8 from the era are generally good all around... but again millage on them will likely be high and reliability will be diminished...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
a 7.3 ford diesel maybe a deal otherwise i would suggest a good gas 3/4 ton that has capacity to tow... most diesels before 2006 are free from most of the new EPA stuff.. but they consume payload so a one ton in a diesel is a better option...

a good v10 or v8 from the era are generally good all around... but again millage on them will likely be high and reliability will be diminished...
I am also going to suggest a 7.3L Diesel. The engine is very reliable and easy to work on. The only “weakness” if you want to call it that is the transmission. Often they have been rebuilt, and by adding a 6.0 L diesel transmission cooler to it many of the issues can be avoided. If you check out craigslist in California you may come across some very good deals.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #14

Comments are always jaded by brand loyalty. A early 2000's big block g.m. or V10 Ford are probably your best bet in that price range when you consider capability and long term cost to operate. Someone xommented on Ram and G.M. being "junk". You can clearly discount that opinion. By the way g.m. h.d. have highest resale value which would indicate otherwise.
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #15

someone's junk is someone else's treasure
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvstingervv View Post
hello everyone, i just found the forum and decided to sign up and see what recommendations i could get, i know everyone has their own personal opinion, but want to get a general consensus of what everyone recommends as the best tow vehicles for 10k lbs and more. I own a 2005 chevy tahoe 4x4 z71 5.3l v8, which i slammed into a concrete side wall in maryland on the way to look at the 05 jay flight 31bhs which i bought, and managed to tow 200+ miles back above philadelphia with the tahoe totalled. I know my tahoe wouldn't be quite enough to tow it once the trailer and truck were fully loaded up anyway, so i need to find a new truck or suv that has the ability to tow what we need it to, i'm on a limited budget, and also have to buy some things to update the trailer including some way of powering it when i can't plug it in. So in everyone's opinion, which vehicles should i be looking at that would cost under $9,000, and there is no possibility of being able to finance anything, so i would really appreciate as much info and recommendations of which used vehicles i should focus on, and whether i should go diesel or just big block v8-v10, which older years (2010(or up in my price range) and older) are the best and most reliable, and what mileages to avoid on which ones. Appearance isn't a concern, just structural integrity, drive train power & longevity, and affordability is number one. The tahoe was the absolute hands down best and most reliable truck i've ever owned at 142k on it and even after the crash it's still running strong with no problems, just the passengers side of the body is wasted, nearly peeled off. I'd love something just as reliable, long lasting, as tough, and easy to maintain, as long as it won't cost me a whole lot to maintain it properly. For the time being i'm not going to have to deal with hills and mountains, but will be within the next year or so, and four wheel drive is a must. Please help a newbie at towing out. I am eagerly awaiting anyone's recommendations. Thank you all in advance,
rob, croydon, pa
something in the 3/4 ton range would be your best bet. I tow a 25.5 reok on a sierrs 2500hd xtra cab with a 6 l gas power and 4.10 rear end. Works fine for me
PEEWEEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:30 PM   #17

Thank you to everyone!

Ok, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their suggestions and input, it helped me to narrow down my search options considerably. I do as much of my own work, but am not familiar with diesel engines, so that narrowed my choices down to a HD with a gas engine. As someone else had posted a lot of people are biased towards certain brands/models, I prefer GM, but considering I was only working with $6k and my wrecked Tahoe, I couldn't afford to be picky, and around this area, anything $7k and under had either more problems than reasonably acceptable, or ridiculously high mileage, which certain models aren't that big of an issue, but I couldn't afford to take the chance, but after about 2 weeks of searching I found a small lot with a lot of HD models at reasonable prices about 2 hours away from me near Harrisburg. I went to check out a nice red 05 Silverado HD with 170k for $6,900, but the Check Engine light was on, and they couldn't tell me why, then there were some devices I couldn't quite identify bolted to the bottom of the dash, with random cut wires hanging, plus the back suicide doors (what I call them in reference to the classics that opened backwards) on each side wouldn't open as well as the missing tailgate handle,. So I walked the lot to see the rest of the inventory, The best one they had was a 2010 Silverado in immaculate shape but he wanted $11k for it. So after 2 hours walking the lot and checking everything remotely close to within my budget, then I came across a 2004 Ram 2500 Quad cab, short bed, 5.7L Hemi Magnum with 139k, I has a k&N Intake, 3inch dual exhaust, runs great with power to spare. Unfortunately he was asking $9,500, but I looked it over anyway, it had rust around the bed wheel wells and rust under the doors on the bottom of the cab, that will need fixing, and the airbag light was on, so I test drove it, then picked apart all its problems and, talked him down to $7,500, which I still didn't quite have. So, I showed him my Tahoe, and since everything but the passengers side body was totally immaculate, he was impressed and offered me $3,500 for it, which leaves me with extra money to upgrade the electrical system on the Jayco that I hoped to do. Now according to google, the maximum tow rating on the Ram is only 8600, but I think that'll do the job, I have a Reese weight distribution hitch, so I'm hoping that will help it out too.
I do have one more question for you guys, but if no one can on here can give any pointers, I'll start a new thread specific to my question. Does anyone here have any pointers that would help increase the maximum towing capacity even more? Where it is, should be ok, but I'd much rather be able to tow extra weight if I happen to need to for any reason. Let me know if anyone has any ideas, or ways to accomplish this. Thanks again guys. I really appreciate all your info, and feedback.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #18

No, the Tahoe did not pull it fine. It pulled it as fine as the Toyota pulled the space shuttle. I have a fairly new Yukon XL that I would not consider pulling an 8000 lb trailer with. Have also had four expeditions, same story. You need at least a 2500 or f250. If you can pin down an excursion with the 7.3 diesel, assuming it has had reasonable care, that would be an excellent tow vehicle for you. But have it checked over by an expert as if there is a problem with that diesel, it can get very expensive very quickly to repair.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote