Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #1

Nissan Frontier

Is anyone towing an X 19 H or similar with a Frontier?
Capecodstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #2

Which generation Frontier do you have, 1st Generation (1999 - 2003) or 2nd Generation (2004 - present)?

We towed a similar weighted Rockwood Roo 3 Bed Hybrid with our 1st Generation Xterra. Same as Frontier, just a SUV - so a little heavier. Ours was a v6 4x4. The v6 was small, 3.3l with 170hp and 210 ft/lbs of torque. I added the largest B&M tranny cooler that would fit. The Xterra towed very well on flat ground, even with a 2" body lift and 2" suspension lift. On hills or tall bridges/over passes, we stayed with the big rigs doing 40 - 45 mph. I wouldn't even try climbing a real mountain. We couldn't run the A/C or the engine would start getting hot.

A 2nd Generation Frontier has a much bigger engine and could probably handle hills better, but you are pushing the limits of the tow capacity. From a handling stand point it will probably tow very well with a good weight distribution system with anti-sway integrated into the system, like the Equal-i-zer, which is what we used on our Xterra.

Getting back to the 1st generation, if you have one and it did not come from the factory with a tow hitch, you need to get a factory tow hitch or have someone custom fab the frame stiffeners that come with the factory tow hitch. The 1st generation Frontier/X have open C channel frames in the rear and without the frame stiffeners, you will bend the frame if you try to hitch up 5,000 lbs.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #3

I’m looking at purchasing a 15 or newer.
Capecodstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #4

I had a 2014 Frontier, crew cab or whatever, 4WD, short bed. We started looking for our first camper to tow with the Nissan. Where my back was to the wall was with payload. It was just above 1000 lbs., and between the four of us in the family we were about 600 lbs which left very little for the hitch. I got tired of trying find a trailer we could squeeze into our tight window and just traded for a bigger truck.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #5

Since you don't own a Frontier yet, I would look at a 150/1500 series trucks or even the Titan. The Frontier is a nice truck, but it's not ideal for towing.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #6

I agree about the bigger truck. Frontier presents a narrow set of choices. We were looking at Venture Sonic Lite, and they were nice and all, but cramped and for a bit more money you're looking at roomier trailers. Guess it depends on your priorities though.

As though the voice of reason, we ended up trading the Frontier for an F-150 and bought a Jay Feather. One year later we traded the F-150 for an F-350 and the wife is leading me down the path to a White Hawk. So don't listen to anything I have to say.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote