Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #21

So a XD gasser reg cab will have a maximum pin weight of 1750 and a reg cab f150 3.5l will have a maximum rating of 1800. Just because you have 3000lbs payload doesn’t mean you can drop 2500lbs pin weight and everything is going to be good. That’s not going to work out well for either truck.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #22

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...d-diesel-dead/

So much for that . . .
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
We’ve been referring to the gasser.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiles View Post
We’ve been referring to the gasser.
I don't think the OP knows if it was a gasser or not. The conversation just leaned that way. . .
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #25

Quote:
So a XD gasser reg cab will have a maximum pin weight of 1750 and a reg cab f150 3.5l will have a maximum rating of 1800. Just because you have 3000lbs payload doesn’t mean you can drop 2500lbs pin weight and everything is going to be good. That’s not going to work out well for either truck.
I have no idea what you are trying to say.

What is maximum pin weight of a truck? I thought payload was payload. And I would posit if you did have 3K in payload, you should be able to drop 2500 pounds in the bed if you so desire. Are you insinuating that if a truck has a payload of 3K, you shouldn't use it because they (the manufacture) didn't know what they were doing?
Half Ton Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
I have no idea what you are trying to say.

What is maximum pin weight of a truck? I thought payload was payload. And I would posit if you did have 3K in payload, you should be able to drop 2500 pounds in the bed if you so desire. Are you insinuating that if a truck has a payload of 3K, you shouldn't use it because they (the manufacture) didn't know what they were doing?
It means that the manufacturers know that loading a truck alone to GVWR vs loading to GVWR that includes pin weight while towing is not the same thing. The truck with gooseneck/fifth wheel is going to handle differently then the truck alone. No doubt some trucks once you add a few people and some gear will be able to use remaining payload as pin weight but certainly not all.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #27

Here are the tow ratings from the Trailer Life 2017 tow guide for the Nissan. Note the maximum tow rating with the best equipment. Would that trailer exceed that if it was loaded to its GVWR? Cargo capacity is only part of the equation. Just because a vehicle will physically tow something it doesn't mean it will do it safely. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190810-152658_Adobe%20Acrobat.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	52360

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #28

Quote:
It means that the manufacturers know that loading a truck alone to GVWR vs loading to GVWR that includes pin weight while towing is not the same thing. The truck with gooseneck/fifth wheel is going to handle differently then the truck alone. No doubt some trucks once you add a few people and some gear will be able to use remaining payload as pin weight but certainly not all.

Payload is everything you add to the truck exclusive of fuel once it leaves the showroom floor. Weight on axles is weight on axles. GVWR is a gross weight rating, are you thinking Gross Combined weight rating? If you have a vehicle, and load it properly, all weights in the green, well, all weights are in the green.

I maintain if you have the vehicle in the green, it's all good, despite giving your neighbor bad fuzzies because he says you can't do it.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #29

I’m well aware of what the ratings are and how they work. Your way of thinking is what the internet believes and it keeps the airbag companies in business.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Payload is everything you add to the truck exclusive of fuel once it leaves the showroom floor. Weight on axles is weight on axles. GVWR is a gross weight rating, are you thinking Gross Combined weight rating? If you have a vehicle, and load it properly, all weights in the green, well, all weights are in the green.

I maintain if you have the vehicle in the green, it's all good, despite giving your neighbor bad fuzzies because he says you can't do it.
You are correct. If ALL specs are in the green you are good to go but cargo weight is just one thing to consider. The other is tow rating and can vary greatly on the same vehicle depending on the configuration selected. Items like gear ratio, 4w/2w, brakes, engine, etc all make a difference.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 08-10-2019, 08:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
You are correct. If ALL specs are in the green you are good to go but cargo weight is just one thing to consider. The other is tow rating and can vary greatly on the same vehicle depending on the configuration selected. Items like gear ratio, 4w/2w, brakes, engine, etc all make a difference.
In every example I have seen, and worked the math on, universally, it is the payload that gets broke first. Consider for example a 3/4 diesel truck - which generally has a payload of 2100lbs or less, yet are rated to tow something like what? 15K. Never gonna get more than 1/2 that with a payload of 2K. I see lots of 3/4 ton pulling HUGE fivers though.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:08 PM   #32

I would agree my f250 is gas so the payload is higher but the tow capacity is lower. The loaded pin weight of my 29.5 bhds would break the payload if it were a diesel.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:44 AM   #33

Quote:
In every example I have seen, and worked the math on, universally, it is the payload that gets broke first. Consider for example a 3/4 diesel truck - which generally has a payload of 2100lbs or less, yet are rated to tow something like what? 15K. Never gonna get more than 1/2 that with a payload of 2K. I see lots of 3/4 ton pulling HUGE fivers though.
The two trucks we’ve been discussing are a good example where pin rating is considerably lower then payload rating. The new 2020 GM trucks are coming with a j2807 rating sticker that gives the Max pin weight. Some have a pin rating 700 lbs + less than payload rating.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:58 AM   #34

Quote:
The two trucks we’ve been discussing are a good example where pin rating is considerably lower then payload rating. The new 2020 GM trucks are coming with a j2807 rating sticker that gives the Max pin weight. Some have a pin rating 700 lbs + less than payload rating.
Perhaps they are compensating for an average passenger/cargo load that most people fail to consider.

There are a lot of 5ers being built with lighter pin weights just for this reason.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 08-11-2019, 05:59 AM   #35

Delete duplicate post
Old 08-11-2019, 06:12 AM   #36

Since they started using the SAE j2807 rating standard both maximum hitch and pin weight rating is set. The conventional hitch rating shows on the hitch itself, but pin weight rating is very rarely noted anywhere for consumers to see. Hopefully all manufacturers will follow what GM is doing and put a SAE rating sticker on every vehicle.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:25 AM   #37

Quote:
Since they started using the SAE j2807 rating standard both maximum hitch and pin weight rating is set. The conventional hitch rating shows on the hitch itself, but pin weight rating is very rarely noted anywhere for consumers to see. Hopefully all manufacturers will follow what GM is doing and put a SAE rating sticker on every vehicle.
I'm sure that will become standard as more 5ers are being pulled.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 08-11-2019, 06:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Please tell me what a “pin rating’” is? I’ve never heard it before or seen it defined.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:41 AM   #39

Quote:
Please tell me what a “pin rating’” is? I’ve never heard it before or seen it defined.
Weight at the hitch, "pin", of a 5er. That's the weight transferred to the truck when the front legs are retracted.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 08-11-2019, 07:08 AM   #40

Hi all. Read through the posts, pretty interesting. I tow with a Nissan Titan XD Diesel. Specs are: payload 1,970 lbs, max pin weight 1,825 pounds. I towed a Jayco 24.5 5'er and have since upgraded to a Cougar 30RSL.

No longer have the specs for the Jayco, but the Cougar pin weight is 1,545 pounds, well within specs.

Towed from Toronto area to west coast of Canada, Gulf Coast and Arizona, as well as all over Ontario camping.

Always fun to read and hear opinions on best TV, especially since the diesel option is now gone from Nissan lineup...
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote