Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #1

Octane SL w/F150

Long time lurker first time poster. First off let me say, man I am glad I found this site before I pulled the trigger. My local dealer almost had me convinced that my F150 can haul a fifth-wheel monster. NOPE!

After reading a ton of posts I have all but decided to not get a trailer at all so this is my last ditch effort to see if I am wrong and can get one.

We have narrowed it down to the Octane SL 260 or the 272 Toy haulers. Here are the numbers

OSL 260 - TTW - 6,130 DHW - 820
OSL 272 - TTW - 7,050 DHW - 1,035

Truck Specs - 2012 F150 FX4 GVWR - 7200, Max payload 1163 =(
Me/wife and kids stuff weight in at 500lbs
I have the tow package, tires that are slightly better than stock (load rating 117 hrs 111) and will be installing airbags and a WDH.

Toys will either be a 400lb Harley, 2 400lb Harleys or an 300lb - 17ft Kayak.

I have measured and the kayak will fit in both. We really want the 272 for the front room but I think it's way over our limit. I feel with a good WDH and some planing we could make the 260 work.

Thoughts? A new truck is not an option at this time (mama said no) and I really wish I knew about this payload thing when I bought this one.

Can I safely setup the OSL 260?
Defy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #2

Current rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #3

We'll need to know some specifics about your rig, as far as rear gear ratios are concerned. Ford lists 4 different tow ratings, based on 3.31, 3.73, and 4.10 rear end gears. Let us know what you've got. And based on the pics, it looks like you've got the 3.5L EcoBoost?

Truck + Passengers/Gear + Tongue Weight <= Truck GVWR

Trailer + Toys/Gear <= Trailer GVWR

Truck + Passengers/Gear + Trailer +Toys/Gear <= GCWR

I have a feeling you'll be pushing it close, but we'll let the numbers decide. Might want to look at the Octane 222....

2017 Jayco Octane 222
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ Z71
rwk5159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #4

Octane SL w/F150

Eco and 3.73.

The 222 doesn't have the space for the kayak...

Old 04-16-2017, 02:20 PM   #5

From what I've seen via Ford's 2012 brochures...

Your GCWR is 15,500#

You'll be at 5,600# (Dry Truck weight from Ford) + 6,130 (Camper) + 500 (Wife, Kids) + 800 (2 Harleys) = 13,030#...so, you'll be more than fine with GCWR

As far as the GVWR is concerned, you're at 7,200#

You'll be at 5,600 + 500 + 1000 (tongue weight, at 15% of 6130+820) = 7,100#

You'll be maxed out with this unit, and unless you load very conservatively, you'll be overloaded. You'd be surprised how much weight will add up with all the truck accessories, camper accessories, and Harley chrome...

It'd be worth weighing your truck, bikes, and cargo, and head to the scales, just to see what you're working with...because it will be that close. You'll overload the truck's GVWR, before you touch it's GCWR.

The 260 is just too much trailer. You really need to be conservative when towing. Believe me, I'm towing with a half-ton truck...

2017 Jayco Octane 222
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ Z71
rwk5159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #6

Luckily my bikes are small show bikes and they would only come out for trips like Sturgis or various smokeouts.

90% of the time would be with just the kayak. I was just about to spend 5k on a halmark enclosed trailer for just the bike and thought--- why not put that towards a travel trailer that can do both.

We might look at the 22 and just not take the kayak.... or nix the whole idea and live with the tent. Wish i would have known more when i bought my truck. Anyone want a 2012 FX4 fully loaded 40k miles????

Thanks for all the help.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Mount the kayak on top of the truck or trailer. Nevermind, just remembered you said it was 300lbs

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 07:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahM View Post
Mount the kayak on top of the truck or trailer. Nevermind, just remembered you said it was 300lbs

Yeah its a Hobie Pro Angler 17t, wicked heavy for a yak. Now i have seen some crazy contraptions for getting it up on a roof rack but that would add to my payload issue. Seriously someone should slap these manufacturers for allowing a truck to have such a small payload. I mean really if I put 5 healthy guys in my truck I am almost at my max....

So mad i have been looking at 17 F-150s

Old 04-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwk5159 View Post
It'd be worth weighing your truck, bikes, and cargo, and head to the scales, just to see what you're working with...because it will be that close. .
Yes! The scale will tell you the he truth, it's worth a visit. Load up like you'd travel and get your weights. This will show you what you can tolerate with tongue or pin weight which will help you estimate what weight is appropriate.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
I gotta admit, I'm surprised how technical everyone here gets with their tow vehicles weight ratings. Not that it's not important, especially for setting up proper WDH's, but for most of us over in the truck forums, we swap a few things out, and go. As far as legal, no, but I've honestly never seen an rv pulled over by DOT. As for safety, well that dependant on the specific trucks. For instance, on my year model truck, an 06 f250, only thing different for an f350 SRW, would've been rear spring and block. If I remember correctly you didn't even have a different gear choice unless you went DRW. So basicly change the springs, and it's a 350, 350s had much higher payload therefore better sticker. But if you change the springs on a 250, you still lack the legality of the sticker. Safety, well it's same frame, brakes, engine, and drive train components so pretty good there. However, just cause this can be done, and I would probably do it myself I wouldn't recommend anyone do so just for legal reasons. Just a thought out loud, I'm glad y'all try to do things right by the book

Old 04-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #11

Defy,

Also keep in mind that the F150's factory receiver hitch has a max tw (tongue weight) rating of ~1200lbs (1220lbs if I remember right). Obviously when hauling the hogs the tw will be lighter, but when only hauling the 'yak the tw could possibly end up exceeding the trucks receiver hitch rating, obviously this will depend on how you load the trailer.

Good luck shopping!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Defy,

Also keep in mind that the F150's factory receiver hitch has a max tw (tongue weight) rating of ~1200lbs (1220lbs if I remember right). Obviously when hauling the hogs the tw will be lighter, but when only hauling the 'yak the tw could possibly end up exceeding the trucks receiver hitch rating, obviously this will depend on how you load the trailer.

Good luck shopping!!!

If it came to that i could put a few pounds, just keep the truck pretty empty and load the gear in the TH.

More and more if we really want a TH we need to spring for a bigger truck.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #13

Octane SL w/F150

Oh and to top it off i just checked my VW today and it has almost as much payload as my truck 0.o

Ridiculous!!!

1047 for a GTI
1163 for a F-150

I think VW could break into the 1/2 ton market.

Ok real question how do the manufacturers calculate tongue weight? Just weight it? Or do they do calculations? Cause the OSL 222 is 5530 dry TW 775 where as a similarly set up XLR Hyperlite is 5634 dry and TW 644.

Do some use the 15% and some use 10% and just calc or is it actual scale?

Old 04-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defy View Post
If it came to that i could put a few pounds, just keep the truck pretty empty and load the gear in the TH. More and more if we really want a TH we need to spring for a bigger truck. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True. Just wanted to mention there is a hitch rating as some don't realize it.

As for the manufactures and the tw, from what I have read they scale it. Will weigh a handful of trailers to get an average. This will vary obviously a little as some trailers may be fully optioned or the bars bones base without any options.

I have also read (not sure if any truth to it....) that some manufactures may list the "brochure" weights without any options, even those that may be a "mandatory option". Kind of like the truck manufactures and the inflated tow ratings for the 1500/150 trucks.

Also regarding the "brochure" tw, unless something has changed most if not all manufactures do not include the weight of the propane tanks or a battery on the tongue. That adds ~120lbs for 2-20lb tanks and a battery, or ~160lbs for 2-30lb tanks and a battery before loading anything else in the trailer.

Good luck deciding!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #15

So take off the tanks and relocate the battery! Just like my BMW, they hide the darn battery in the car for balance!