Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2019, 06:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
I wouldn't think the new tires had more wall flex, but I could be wrong. The old tires were OEM LT245/75R17 LRE Rugged trail T/A by BFG. The new tires are LT245/75R17 LRE All Terrain T/A KO2 also by BFG.

The KO2s have a much larger shoulder block arrangement. The Max load for each tire is 3195#, max pressure is the same for both, 80# psi, Section width is 9.8" for both, as is the diameter, 31.5" and revolutions per mile, 660.

However, the KO2s weigh more, 3 pounds heavier, greater tread depth, 15 to 14.5, greater tread width 8.1" to 7.6".

The old tires certainly had the capacity, and the new tires are equal to or larger in every category.
I was pretty sure you had the right rating but you never know... so I agree with all the others start putting in air till it feels right let us know how it goes... don't forget to take it off road and see what those tires can do in the muck and the mud!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:45 AM   #22

My dad had this on his F350, he took off the OEM michelins and put on Michilen AT2. The truck was so wobbly/squishy. After a week he got the MS2 and the problem went away.

Can you not buy another set of OEM?
Old 05-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #23
Ace

I hate the way AT tires ride, especially towing. Tried a set and almost immediately exchanged them for LTX Michelins.....the squirm is unbearable to me.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #24

I ran BFG KO2's on a 12 Ram 2500 CTD for 4 years. Loved em. Very stable when towing. Ran them in the snow as well and they were the best tire I have used in the snow.
Not sure why you're having squirrelly issues. The KO2 is a very stiff tire.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #25

New Tire Issue

I tend t agree that the new tires do not have as high a load rating as the originals but, there is another issue that I didn't see mentioned.

Typically when you get new tires, you also get an alignment. Was this done? I know from driving a class C, that they are very sensitive to alignment settings.

Does your truck handle differently than it did before the new tires when you are not towing?
dwj164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #26

Reading this was interesting. I have a GMC 2500 towing a 10,000 bumper pull. Have had no swaying issues at all. Installed a Curt WD hitch just to ease porpoising on really bumpy roads. Two weeks ago, just before a long trip out west, I replaced the factory Transforce tires with Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires. Had the exact experience. Winds and trucks on the interstate were uncomfortable; even scary at times. Nothing else had changed and I had made the same trip a few months earlier. The tires have really deep and soft treads which I'm sure caused the sway. Even unloaded the truck sways somewhat where it didn't before.
djrainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj164 View Post
I tend t agree that the new tires do not have as high a load rating as the originals but, there is another issue that I didn't see mentioned.

Typically when you get new tires, you also get an alignment. Was this done? I know from driving a class C, that they are very sensitive to alignment settings.

Does your truck handle differently than it did before the new tires when you are not towing?
Truck does fine with the new tires, when not towing.

No, a re-alignment was not done. If there is no hint of the truck being out of alignment, I don't usually do a realignment.

These new tires have exactly the same load rating as the originals.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:02 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrainey View Post
Reading this was interesting. I have a GMC 2500 towing a 10,000 bumper pull. Have had no swaying issues at all. Installed a Curt WD hitch just to ease porpoising on really bumpy roads. Two weeks ago, just before a long trip out west, I replaced the factory Transforce tires with Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires. Had the exact experience. Winds and trucks on the interstate were uncomfortable; even scary at times. Nothing else had changed and I had made the same trip a few months earlier. The tires have really deep and soft treads which I'm sure caused the sway. Even unloaded the truck sways somewhat where it didn't before.
I'm beginning to think it's the "bold" tread design that's causing the problem. I'm almost to the point of getting new, less "aggressive tread pattern" tires, and just be prepared to take a financial beating.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
I'm beginning to think it's the "bold" tread design that's causing the problem. I'm almost to the point of getting new, less "aggressive tread pattern" tires, and just be prepared to take a financial beating.
I bought my tires 2 days before our trip so they had no miles on them. I do think by the end of our 2,500 mile trip the sway wasn't as bad. I'm planning on sticking it out expecting the issue to go away as more miles are on the tires. I don't tow but a couple of times a year.

Last year I experienced a similar issue when I replaced the tires on our sports sedan. For the first few months the car didn't respond like before. That issue slowly went away.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:06 AM   #30

All Terrain tires are not designed for towing, they have a softer sidewall which helps in mud, sand and outdoor conditions. A hard sidewall is needed for towing stability. Adding some air may help a little, but it won't fix a soft sidewall.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:28 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
All Terrain tires are not designed for towing, they have a softer sidewall which helps in mud, sand and outdoor conditions. A hard sidewall is needed for towing stability. Adding some air may help a little, but it won't fix a soft sidewall.
Plenty of load range E AT tires designed for towing. I've known folks who've had no issues.

Most of us don't tow full time and sometimes drive in muddy areas where AT is needed.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #32

The problem may not be with your sway control at all. It could have to do with the tread pattern on your new tires. I replaced my Goodyear tires with a different set of “all season” radials and I noticed immediately that the vehicle wanted to wander much more than it did with a different tread pattern. This may or may not be the case, but it’s worth taking a look at. I can’t see why tires of the same height and size would affect your hook-up with that much difference.
K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:19 PM   #33

I myself went through this same issue on my 2011 F350. Aggressive tread pattern is all it was. My wife hauls a 27ft bumper pull horse trailer and she was not happy with the new tires one bit. As miles added up, they hauled better and better. We now know it takes about 5k miles for these tires to "wear in" to the point where they hauled great. We are on our 2nd set of them and truly love them once that break in point is reached.
Banquo77 is offline   Reply With Quote